Your first day playing eq.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrontaur, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Here is the story of how I ended up being Elrontaur.

First played EQ on PS2 EQ Endless Adventures. I had a super bad ass SK toon, but the game was so riduculously easy to hack so he had endless gear. On my mac, I was playing Diablo 2. Blizzard was just about to release WoW, and just about everyone that I played D2 with decided to switch to WoW. After a few days of battle.net for D2 becoming a ghost town, I decided to find a new game to play online.

Tried a few different games, but they didn't really get that immersive online experience that I got playing D2. After a while I discovered (after much research) that EQ had made a mac version of the game with it's own server. I downloaded the demo, and logged in.

At first I tried to remake my SK character, ignoring the fact that the game warned me this toon would be of HIGH difficulty. Logging into AK the first time was a complete mystery. I played around with the commands until I managed to figure out how to get a /w all. It showed that there were many people on the server, but they all seemed to be level 65. Neriak was a ghost town, as was AK at that point because of the WoW exodus. After much trial and effort, I managed to find my way out of Neriak and was able to find mobs to attack. I didn't have any idea of how to use con or what the hell I was doing. My experience from D2 told me I could take on a few creatures even at the lowest levels, but EQ turned out to be much different and I was slaughtered over and over again.

Finally, I gave up and decided to make a different toon. This time I decided that I would make my D&D standby character, a Half Elf Ranger named Elrontaur. This time the game told me that the toon would be of Easy difficulty, so I figured we were good to go. I was born into a treehouse in Kelethin, and I couldn't figure out how the hell to get down to the ground below. I ran around from platform to platform for a while until I found one that overlooked what looked like to be the lift down. I tried jumping from the platform to the one below it and plummeted to my DOOM. Groovy! I was on the ground finally! I ran a ways down the first road I encountered and discovered a statue of a book on a pedestal. I clicked on the book and VOILA! I discovered people. They had all kinds of wondrous stuff, weapons that sparkled, horses flying in the sky, and real people instead of NPCs to chat up. A few very kind and generous souls answered all my noob questions, and set me on my way to being hooked for life it seems...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Tesadar and Verdent like this.
  2. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Mithaniel Marr, a long long time ago. A friend gave me vanilla EQ as he hadnt realised you needed a credit card for subscription, and his parents were hesitant to use theirs in the scary world of "the internet" those were the days.

Wood elf warrior was my first character. Fond memories of drinking too much ale and racing around Kelethin. In those days the place was packed. I remember waaaaaiting for a spot on orc hill because of huge demand. I remember my very first voyage to Kaladim, and then later to the human cities via boat.

The game filled me with wonder and awe, the likes of which no game has ever matched. The journey to kunark on it's release, the ANGER at my poor system specs on release of Luclin. I never played live post Luclin, frankly I was a little sceptical of giant cats living on the moon.

Edit: I guess I played AK which was live when I joined. The only post Luclin experience I have. Was very confused by the pok books, as others have mentioned.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Elrontaur and Khorpus like this.
  3. JLycans

JLycans New Member

In my beginning, I wandered around Feerrott. I learned after a while that the newbie spawn rate was horrible there! I felt like the game opened up after doing some grouping of the skelly camp in Nek near EC. The EC tunnel was a great hangout...newbs like me got buffs often, selling items at 2nd torch, etc. Fun times. But I really felt like I "got" the point of the game when doing my first real grouping on the ol' orc highway in Oasis. There was no going back after that. The trained spectres, shouts and trains of Cazel! Such a fun zone. Getting there thru North Ro, seeing the dock to Iceclad ocean...wanting to go there but knowing that was waaaaaaay far off for a toon around level 15.

Elrontaur likes this.
  4. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

My first hit of evercrack came at my best friends house when I was 15 in 99. He had a low level something and then it was my turn and I created a troll warrior and we stayed up until 4am killing rats and such. That was my last time I played until 2002 when I built a PC and bought eq on my 18th birthday. My friends and I all played on 7th hammer and my friend had money and even had my subscription go to his credit card until 2006 lol...

Elrontaur likes this.
  5. Gumgak

Gumgak Active Member

First time playing EQ....I had picked it up after watching one of my childhood friends (although we were like 17 at the time) play it when I stopped over his house. He was I think a gnome necro, and was soloing outside Karnors Castle and pointed out the one spell animation "this is my DoT." First thing I did when I bought the game was create a halfling druid, as per the EverQuest Trilogy Manual/New User Guide's suggestion, and promptly get lost and drowned in Rivervale. Then I created a wood elf ranger and proceeded to fall off every platform in Kelethin and died. Finally I created a dwarf cleric, got to like level 4, and tried to get a group at orc hill. I was playing on Tallon Zek, and while i was trying to med some asshole -- name and race/class long forgotten to time -- came up and attacked me. I started running and jumped a few times and somehow was able to keep him out of melee range and sent him /tells asking what his problem was, to which he responded "If you don't like it don't play on a pvp server." Managed to lead him on a chase throughout GFay, zoned into Butcherblock, then zoned immediately back into GFay and lost him. After that I stuck to my druid in Misty Thicket.

First day playing EQMac....I had quit EQ years prior because my mother's computer couldn't handle Shadows of Luclin and I lagged out at every turn. So in college I had bought a Mac for graphic design, and happened across a copy of EQMac at a GameStop and was like "Woah there's a Mac version?!" So I bought the game and a prepaid game time card and got home and installed it......only to discover that the game card did not work on the Mac version, only credit card (which the frumpy dude at GameStop refused to accept a return for, because it was a game time card). Got ingame and remade my halfing druid and my dwarf cleric. Wound up meeting a few of the folks that I would continue to play the game with years later after joining Shield of Norrath and Temerity....Sikkorak, Eildar, and Corinth, and we all joined the Emerald Warriors guild.

My first defining memory of the game was my complete and utter ignorance of anything PoP related. I had all my graphic and clip plane settings on maximum and I saw a book on a pedestal and clicked it. Got "Loading...Please Wait" and then "You have entered the Plane of Knowledge." I had zero fucking idea what this Plane of Knowledge was about, only remembering that Plane of Fear, Plane of Hate, and Plane of Sky were high level endgame zones. So what the hell is this Plane of Knowledge and how did a level 4 halfling druid get in? Furthermore, the lag was so utterly horrible because of my settings and internet connection that I had to look directly down at the ground to move at all. I had no idea which way to go, no idea how to get back to where I was, and too afraid to even move in fear of some massive high level monster coming up to beat on me. So i /ooc "I clicked on a book in my newbie zone and appeared here, how do I get back? Too afraid to move." at which point, /oocs and /tells started streaming in "Um, it's right behind you." /facepalm

Neealana, JLycans and Elrontaur like this.
  6. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Bumming your subscription money!

7. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

Well, let's see... I bought my oldest son Everquest for his birthday on Dec. 21, 2000 (right after the release of Velious). A friend of mine at work had recommended it for him, said he would love it. It was his 14th birthday. So, we got it installed on my old Compaq 500 PC (8mb integrated graphics!, it sucked). He created a character and I watched how it all worked... then he and his younger brother convinced me to make a character. Somehow, I started in Qeynos (think it was agnostic monk), was running around the newbie area and both my sons were telling me everything I was doing wrong (like not killing for experience :p ). Someone invited me to a group (they were yelling at me "Click follow! Click follow!")... I had no idea what that was for. Then my group was telling everyone to head to BB... I had know idea where they were or where/what BB was. I was also blind as a bat and didn't know to turn gamma up, so I was aimlessly running around in Qeynos Hills in the pitch black until something killed me.

The funniest part is: after we got it installed at my house (my son was with me for the weekend), he went back home to his mom's and got it installed there. He had to call me no less than 20 times over a couple of weeks, saying "Dad, can you log off the account so I can play?" before he convinced me I needed to get my own account. Birthday gift for my son turned into a 15 year obsession for his dad... he still thinks that's funny.

Both my sons still play on occasion... youngest (22 now) plays a bard and ranger, oldest (now 29) plays INT casters for the most part. Luckily for them, they never got obsessed like I did.

medbonyx and Khorpus like this.