Why allow multi-boxing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DuluTAKP, Jan 8, 2018.

1. DuluTAKP

DuluTAKP New Member

Just found out that almost everyone on this server multi boxes.

I wasn't sure why the population was so low, but as soon as I found this out - it made sense.

You guys have a nice server, with a good ruleset, and a great/easy to use installer.

Why on earth allow the worst element of this game? Boxing is worse than RMT to me and most people.

Can't play on a server that allows boxing, sorry.

2. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

We all like boxing quite a bit. p99 doesn't allow it if thats your cup of tea. Imagine if i were to go to p99 and say "I think boxing is the best part of the game because this game can flourish with reallly low apm! You guys should allow boxing based on my opinion - lets totally disregard any prior community interaction, feedback and votes!"

In any case - try harder with the trolling.

3. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

This has already been decided. It's not going to change. If you don't like it, there are other worlds than these.

4. Avocado

Avocado New Member

Ah, well, like music, tastes vary. "Worst element of the game" seems like a gross exaggeration in my experience, but then, since 2005 the only servers I've played on were the original Alkabor and now TAKP.

The limit is to three boxes, so that is a significant fact. It limits what one person can do.

You don't need to box. I have limited interest in it myself, so I don't do it much. Nobody is forced to box or not box in regular game play.

There is plenty of grouping for individuals. I just joined this server about 2-3 months ago and have grouped with all sorts as I leveled.

5. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

He was just in game and bailed when he found out we box. Afraid of the unknown maybe. "Worse than RMT" gave me a really good chuckle.

Also I wonder if he realised you actually have to play your boxes. They aren't automated.

6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

This server is designed in AK's image. Boxing was allowed there, so boxing should be allowed here. The limit imposed here is a good limit despite there not being one on AK.

Saying that boxing is worse than RMT is amusing. Thanks for the laugh.

Manstache likes this.
  7. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I've seen quite a few people choose to just two-box, and fewer but also a good number of people single box. Even if you choose not to box, there are things to do here and groups to join.

While I do wish it was a two-box limit to encourage even more interaction, three is much better than full groups that people have on other servers. It's a good server regardless of boxing or soloing, and worth the effort.

Dane likes this.
  8. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Wouldn't play EQ if I couldn't box.
    Played two chars back in 2001-2003, played multiple chars on the EQMac server, and hope to enjoying playing multiple chars on this server.

As previously stated the game is very low APM, so being able to box makes it much more fun since you not sitting idle most of the time. Also can get quite challenging trying to see what you can trio, etc...

9. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

...lol

10. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Who did you poll to empirically reach this summation?

11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

You have one level 2 character.

You made the account 11 hrs ago.

Quick to judge much?

We clearly understand you dont like boxing. And ur stance about RMT.

Let me guess? Banned from p99 for RMT?

Fadetree, showstring and Manstache like this.
  12. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Fixed your post for Agnarr accuracy.

showstring, Torven and Ransom like this.
  13. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I tried to get them to limit it to 2 instead of 3 but failed to my unending regret

Loraen, Videri-Tala and Ransom like this.
  14. Manstache

Manstache Active Member

appears to be a red server player

15. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

That wants Teams pvp. So now thats what we can expect. Them whining that we open a teams pvp server, with no boxing allowed.

That sounds sooooo fun.

16. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Nothing wrong with playing red. I did for awhile. Team PvP is also more interesting to me than FFA, depending on how it's done. I don't think there are enough PvPers to populate another PvP server though.

17. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Worst part of the game are people on p99.

Go back there.

18. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

If you want PvP go play quake, or team fortress, or starcraft, or even WoW

in EQ it's laughably unbalanced and just a grief-fest... which is somewhat fun if you're not on the receiving end I guess

19. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I'm not being critical, just thinking out loud, in a thread where a guy came to play the AK like server, but doesn't like the AK server. If anything, P99 is as far away from real Everquest as one can get, seeing as how I was multi-boxing 18 years ago prior to the release of Kunark, as I'm sure many were. P99 is fake as hell. Not to mention, they can't even get newbie weapon damage right. Come on man seriously? Newbie weapon damage is the simplest thing ever. 2x + 1, not 2x, that is just plain wrong!

20. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I'm from P99, and so is Haynar.

Also, regarding PvP: EQ PvP is a team sport just as PvE is. Of course it's highly unabalanced 1v1; so is solo PvE.

Just because EQ was designed primarily to be a PvE game, doesn't mean that people can't enjoy a PvP server as well. The elitism here is really silly.

SmallpaulTZ and Videri-Tala like this.
  21. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

P99 the server is pretty good I think. They did a lot of work and got a lot of stuff right. Sometimes the pop is a little salty, and I hate vicious end game competitions. I prefer PoP, and I prefer boxing. PoP was the pinnacle of greatness in EQ. 2 or 3 limit, I think I prefer 3, but could live with 2.

22. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

I played a mage 1-60 before I made any other characters. Even if you struggle to find "authentic first-time levelers" to grind with, you can always find people that are leveling an alt that want to group. Glad you gave it the old college try though.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  23. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Don't let the dream die, Torven. It's never too late.

SmallpaulTZ and lurari like this.
  24. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Don't get your panties in a wad, I know our devs are/were devs on p99. However, the player base is the issue there. Not 100% of them, just 95%.

25. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

More like 5% of them. Maybe even 2%. But what they lack in numbers, they make up for in enthusiasm.

Videri-Tala and Bum like this.
  26. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

if we had a way to actually get empirical data and were betting on it, i'd wager more like 10%

but definitely not 95%

tho with so many <Azure Guard> finally making their way over here, the numbers might be shifting :D

27. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

New forum rule set:

Forum account must have created game account and logged in to game

And

Wait 7 days to post

Except in the help forum

28. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Original AK, the basis of this server, allowed unlimited boxing.

3 was a compromise.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  29. Loraen

Loraen Well-Known Member

Boxing destroys the social aspect of a nominally multiplayer game. With Gina, raid gear, and boxing it's pretty easy to do all group content solo. Throw in the Bazaar and PoK port books and I'd guess the average TAKP player spends 95% of their non-raid time playing with themselves. Also, Verant didn't really create any content for 'light raids' of 12-18 (the equivalent of a boxed single group). So you end up either solo or raiding, and the group content was always my favorite part of the game.

I will be curious to see what happens when Luclin launches. Project 1999 still has 1K+ people playing every night. If even 10% of them are disgusted with the 'competitive' raid scene and eternal Velious there and switch to TAKP and 3-box, that will triple our population. And 15 guys with high attendance can hold down a raid rotation slot. It will be interesting to see what happens (odds of Bum ragequitting if the server is 80% ex P99ers?)

Videri-Tala likes this.
  30. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Most will just choose p2k2 because they can no longer play without mouse scroll camera.