Dragonslayer Trio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alphawolf, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Alphawolf

Alphawolf New Member

Hey all,

I was recently discussing with some other players which comps would be best for slaying super-hard raid targets (dragons) or other raid targets as a one-player-boxed trio.

I've heard of:

War/Clr/Dru
    War/Clr/Clr
    Bst/Brd/Clr

I haven't really heard of other ones as of yet, but I was wanting to see if anyone knows of a really strong end-game dragonslayer trio composition that also isn't garbage for group content. I'm currently playing War/Ench/Clr, but I've been told this doesn't hold up to dragons (due to aoe dispel dispelling charm among other things). I'd prefer to just play a comp that can kill high-end content but also handle group content. Bst/Brd/Clr sounds interesting. Any thoughts?

I read all the comments and appreciate any input!!!

2. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

if you mean kunark dragons you'll definitely need a bard.

3. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

Melee / Cleric / Bard is the ideal combo.

Walex likes this.
  4. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

You'll want a bard, then for a healer cleric or druid should be fine. Then a geared melee has no issues tanking, as Thucy and Tarkon said above.

I use paladin / cleric / bard, but I could almost drop the bard, except the need for the mana drain. Not the fastest killing, but it's honest work.

5. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Bard is main requirement. One of our regular dragon killing 3 boxers is a BST/Dru/Bard. Another one uses SK/Clr/Bard.

6. Break

Break People Like Me

Are you saying that you originally needed the bard for the saves, but you now keep him for the mana drain? Or, did you always twist both/another song?

I always pictures a bard would playing one song during a 3 box of a dragon.

7. Inacht

Inacht People Like Me

Typically I did lceas (or chorus) + resists for the dragons, with ervaj's lost composition added for Gorenaire and Sev. Gore will CH below 50% and potentially gate if you don't mana drain. Sev can gate as well so you'd want to keep his mana down.

8. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

At level 60 you need 350 resists for most dragon AoEs. So unless you're in best in slot gear on all 3 characters, with good buffs, you're going to want the bard. When I do dragons the bard is very busy twisting DS, resists and mana drains.

9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

For Nagafen/Vox I’ve done:

War/Cler/Wiz
    War/Cler/Ench (Vox)
    SK/Cler/Ench (Vox)

For Gorenaire/Severilous/Talendor/Faydedar I’ve done:

Paladin/Druid/Bard

As others said, Melee/Healer/Bard is pretty necessary for Kunark dragons due to higher resist requirements.

I mostly due lazymode bard and only sing AE resists while attacking with offhand. Most of my damage comes from druid Nuking inbetween heals and Paladin DSes.

10. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

My mind is being blown a little. Are you doing this with delevelled, raid-geared toons? I am so curious how this works...

11. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I won't give away all of Darchons strats, but look around in Velious, there are so many droppable items with no level requirements.

12. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

It's not as hard as you might think, honestly. Yes they are twinked characters, but for the most part these dragons are a pushover if you can resist their AoEs. And the resists required are much lower than kunark dragons

13. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

The hardest part of nag / vox is clearing the giants, and managing push

14. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

And finding them up

Tesadar and John Stark like this.
  15. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

I used to twist the mana drain, resists, lceas, now it is mostly just for the mana drain on sev and gore. Gore due to the CHing and gating, sev due to the potential gating. My cleric is running around 300 unbuffed resists to all so nothing is landing, and the paladin has 100% fear resist so I no longer need to worry about fear.

16. Thunderace

Thunderace People Like Me

Answer = Yes and VT Gear

Mokli likes this.
  17. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

Things that are more fun trio challenges, are mobs like Stanos, Vaniki, Vadyn Servitor, heck i might even say Greig. Horse in UP, since all of these are more rewarding then most of the dragons. To me the dragons are just for getting the rare spells, and a few items to put on the bazaarmule. Once Pop opens you can do alot more by using charm pet, and even tank with it, then gamble it doesnt break before you have killed your target. The Diaku overseer i am quite sure you can kill with 2 enchanter and a cleric, if you have the ability to manage two pets and a cleric, just be ready to charm another pet and send onto him, when one of them dies.

18. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I trio'd both Nagafen and Vox pre-Luclin. So Vex Thal gear is not required. But solid Velious gear is IMO if you intend to trio them with 52s.

Cleric is mostly geared in PoGrowth/Thurg armor, Wizard is mostly geared with resist jewelry and PoM robe, Warrior has AOW helm, Coldain Ring 9, Vyemm 2hander and Skyshrine armor. Eventually I did pick up one or two more ToV raid drops and 1-2 VT raid rots but it was doable without. All 3 of them have epics. The first few Nagafens I did trio were done with the 2handed epic which was maximum fashionquest.

I eventually got tired of moving my level 60s from Lavastorm > Permafrost followed by moving my level 52s to Permafrost so I just made a second set of level 52s for Vox (these are the things you do when you have 2+ Years of Luclin and don't have the patience for grinding 200 AAs). I decided to make a 52 SK for FD splitting the lair, a second level 52 cleric and a 49 enchanter for mana sieve. The SK's gear is much worse than the warriors which makes Vox fairly difficult sometimes. The second cleric is much the same as the first cleric. The enchanter is just a bunch of maximum resist jewelry. I think after the fix to Vox's mana regen (originally she would regenerate enough for a CH in 8 ticks, now it takes her 40 ticks) the enchanter is no longer required since she will burn through her mana nuking and dispelling you before you drop her to 50% and then she will regenerate enough mana to nuke and cast that before getting enough for a CH. I've waffled on replacing the chanter with a wizard, beastlord or rogue but in the end I decided I don't care that much. Though I have also considered VT keying this enchanter for access to the KEI wand which can be clicked at any level, and doing his epic so that this level 49 character who never leaves Permafrost can KEI and Haste this trio and I would never have to run my 60 enchanter out to permafrost to buff! Maybe if we have 3 years of Luclin I will get around to this thought.

I haven't done either dragon in a few months though so I am not sure who is farming them lately. It is fun to kill these oldschool dragons. As mentioned above the hardest part is clearing the giants before them. Without a splitter you just have to faceroll tank 5+ giants often (who also seem to have MR values of 200-300+ since charm never lasts more than 30 seconds and roots break almost instantly even when bellycasting), and in Vox's case it can be 3-4 priests with CH which is extremely annoying.

Sketchy and Cadsuane like this.
  19. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

I co-lead a zerg-raid of Vox back in like 2001, with a friend, both of us having no idea what we were doing. We killed her with around 40 people, but it was a mess.

I'd do this, just for nostalgia purposes. I'd love to follow one of you folks sometime so I can watch and learn.

20. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

a friend of mine back yeaaaars ago (live, PC, early 2000s)used to tank and solo the dragons with his wizard and healed with 1 cleric. I know because occasionally he used to ask me to play the cleric for him (we played in the same room). This was during luclin era I do believe.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020