Weapon Proc Rate Mods: Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lenas, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

For years I have read comments here and there about some weapons having procs go off more than others and the assumption that weapons had hidden proc modifier values. Are these real or just a part of EQ mythology? If they are real, what weapons are confirmed to have higher than baseline proc rates?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. kicnlag

kicnlag Active Member

Reading the public github source and looking at the last public DB backup it appears that some weapons have different proc rates. Notably the cleric hammers.

Edit: weapon->ProcRate from https://github.com/EQMacEmu/Server/blob/master/zone/attack.cpp#L3364

Edit 2: positive proc rate weapons, may not be accurate:
    select id, name, procrate from items where procrate > 0 order by procrate desc;

22898 Withering Staff of Agony 530
    29365 Hammer of Damnation 530
    20627 Hammer of Holy Vengeance 530
    22907 Furious Hammer of Zek 530
    22899 Coral Headed Mace 530
    5798 Hammer of Souls 450
    15996 Hammer of Divinity 325
    5800 Hammer of Judgment 250
    24793 Greatstaff of Power 180
    3820 Barbed Fishing Net 100
    21878 Pile Driver 100
    11156 Large Meat Tenderizer 82
    22946 Kelp Hilted Mace 70
    7822 Blasphemous Blade of the Exiled 65
    28855 Bloodfrenzy 55
    26738 Fiery Staff of Zha 50
    24780 Greatstaff of the Four Winds 30
    24790 Corpsegrinder 30
    22999 Darkblade of the Warlord 30
    22879 Obsidian Scimitar of War 25
    26599 Caen's Bo Staff of Fury 25
    24590 Gleaming Obsidian Shard 25
    32182 An Insanity Crawler Fang 10
    24587 Ivory Hilted Cleaver 10
    8916 Silver Blade of Thunder 10
    9264 Fiercewind 10
    7364 Spear of Eternal Bondage 5
    7979 Vile Rib of War 5
    26587 The Sword of Ssraeshza 5
    8227 Short Bone Blade of the Grimling 5
    19810 Fireclaw Talons 5
    20087 Revtus Platnium Ulak 5
    8102 Mithril Knuckles 4
    8363 Spider Silk Handwraps 4
    7399 Soulbane 4
    8095 Partisan of Stampede 4
    26585 Acrylia Handled Broadsword 3
    26566 Ishinaear Xiall 3
    8495 Claw of the Savage Spirit 3
    8377 Long Sword of the Defender 3
    8430 Bloody Stone Dagger 2
    7975 Skull Shaped Wand 1
    7906 Pebble Crusher 1

surron likes this.
  3. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

You can look this up on EQPC Lucy (an item may have changed now and again, but even that is likely to show up in Lucy's history). Click the "raw" tab and look at procrate; if all the values are 0, the weapon should proc normally (i.e. about twice a minute at 305 dex), and if one of the values is non-zero, it has either a positive or a negative percentage mod.

Generally speaking, most weapons introduced before Luclin seem not to have mods.

kicnlag likes this.
  4. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

255*

Thanks you two. So howling stones proc weapon is better than VP proc weapon. That was my main curiosity.

Interesting that bloodfrenzy has a 55% mod and blade of war has none.

Anyone know what the pr value represents? Earthcaller has 5, vyzhdra's render of souls has 10, bloodfrenzy has 7 + procrate1 55. I haven't found anything yet with entries for procrate2-5 or procratemod.

5. Synthetix

Synthetix Well-Known Member

Hmm, didnt 2handers have twice the proc chance compared to a 1hander by default?

6. kicnlag

kicnlag Active Member

I believe pr is for the items poison resist.

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Wow. Duh, Lenas.

If I understand correctly, proc rate kinda scales with delay and doesn't even look at weapon type.

8. surron

surron People Like Me

cant wait for cleric proc hammers

9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

255 Dex is aimed at exactly 2/min, 305 is aimed at over 2/min, so Ravewning is technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Blade of War was not superior aggro to Bloodfrenzy / Blasphemous Blade. It was somewhat comparable, with the primary benefit of yielding far fewer ripostes from hard hitting mobs since you swing 1 weapon much slower.

The game doesn't check your weapon type but it does check slot. A dual wielded weapon in the offhand you can expect to proc about 50% of the time it would in the mainhand.

10. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Base proc rate from dex caps at 2ppm. (weapons with modifiers still go higher, obviously)

A parse I made in 2003:

Augmented Blade of War with 305 Dex

Slashes: 23071; 16239 hits (71.5%) + 6832 misses

"face contorts with rage": 996 (2.075 procs per minute)
    "Ykesha": 987 (2.056 procs per minute)

11. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

One of my favorite subjects! Sweet! Most everything in this thread matches what I know/experienced. Blade of War was comparable to Bloodfrenzy / Blasphemous Blade of the Exiled due to the sheer swing threat generated by the superior ratio it had, in addition to the "normal ppm agro proc"

Even with the superior proc rate of BF/BBotE, I would hit streaks of no procs and other streaks when it would go off nearly every other swing (gogo RNG). The BoW was more steady agro, in my experience. BF/BBotE probably wins overall in the threat contest with AHR's glove clicky proc due to buff being able to proc off both hands versus one.

Lenas is sorta, kinda, but not really correct about proc rate being affected by delay. The RATE of how often a weapon procs can be INCREASED by being slowed (in the case of Earthshaker) but only if compared to how many swings you do per minute.

-The procs as I understand it, are independent of delay. Earthshaker has a normal (maybe even penalized, there's a few weapons like that but here lets assume it has 2ppm) This is all theoretical numbers. Assuming 255 dex at all times.

You swing it 100 times in 5 minutes unhasted. it procs 10 times (2 per minute). that's a rate of 1 proc per 10 swings.

You grab a haste, and equip haste? Great, your dps goes up, but your ppm stays the same. You swing 200 times in 5 minutes hasted. It procs 10 times. (2 per minute) That's a rate of 1 proc per 20 swings.

Finally, and this is why Earthshaker + Rampage + Slow worked well- Slow is 75%, and you get slowed! (FU Yun Froglok Shamans) so you swing it only 25 times in 5 minutes while slowed. but you proc 10 times in that 5 minutes. (2 per minute) So your proc per swing ratio is 1 proc per 2.5 swings.

And the Rampage AA forced a "Swing" on every mob that was around you, and that ratio due to be slowed, increased the likelihood that the rampage swings would trigger a proc and boom, alotta stuff dies, given sufficient mob density.

-1h or 2h has no factor in the frequency of proc- mainhand (1h or 2h) always defaults to 2 per min, offhand is 1 per minute (2h has no offhand) So 2h always will have a default of 2 ppm, while if you dualwield you get 3 ppm total by the virtue of using a offhand.

Mambo likes this.
  12. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Cool, I didn't know the AHR glove clicky proc could fire on both main hand and offhand swings.

Is that true of all proc buffs?

13. Delorne

Delorne People Like Me

I seem to remember paladin proc buffs triggering on bashes, but that was like in 2004. Way too long for me to remember accurately.

14. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Are proc totals combined or is the 2ppm metric per effect? IE, if I have a proc on both weapons, plus a proc buff like Jolting Blades, should I still only expect 3 ppm or 6? Does the presence of Jolting Blades lower my Earthcaller's effectiveness?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  15. lurari

lurari People Like Me

They are independent(ish). You can't trigger two procs on the same combat round, but this really only comes into play with 4+ different procs that we can't achieve in this era.

Adding a proc buff won't lessen your innate weapons' proc - it will effectively stack on top.

16. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

Good question, Lenas. My story didn't include proc buffs. What Lurari said is correct. So you could have more than 2ppm in mainhand, if you got a proc buff. It all basically stacks. I actually don't have good data on how often per min clicky procs fired, but Torven should have my logs for that information. Proc buffs also worked like regular procs in that the proc rate was halved in the offhand.

17. Synthetix

I never really understood this 2ppm metric, on live I remember seeing my SoD and BoC proc like 10 times the first minute and continue to proc more then 2 times per minute the entire fights. I think its just some average number someone calculated themself to from some parses. I don't think Verant or Sony ever revealed the truth behind proc rates. To actually find the true metric to this, would require thousands and thousands of parses, something nobody did.

There is a very interesting post from Aramelus on this thread:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2011080...steelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13613

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  18. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

^ That thread basically just reiterates what has been said in this thread.

I'm sure Torven has. Have you read all of his threads? That's some serious parsing.

* Gotta be logged in for link to work.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  19. Synthetix

Yes I have read Torven's threads, they are excellent and amazing work, but I have not read a thread specifically about proc rates.

20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I guess my line of thinking is that after all of his parsing, if proc rates were not as expected he would have done a write up for them.

21. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I fixed our proc rates shortly after Kunark launched.

As for a thread of mine regarding proc rates, see this http://steelwarrior.xwarzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5656

Proc rates are a known mechanic, which is why it was a little frustrating to see stock EQEmu's code so wrong. Nevertheless I did some parses on Live last year at various dex intervals to verify the linear function and the 255 dex cap and they were as expected.

Currently our code does this:

Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    I'm sure it's not precisely how Sony did it, but the results should be highly accurate.

Last week I pushed some fixes to NPC procs which also included a limit of one proc per round in the event of a proc buff. If the weapon procs, then the spell buff will not for that round.

22. Delorne

Delorne People Like Me

Torven you should try to get in touch with Cromis. He did an insanely detailed write up on NPC proc rates over at the tem boards. I bet he also has logs buried somewhere.

23. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

A Cromis of text...