Trip down memory lane...PPC Everquest.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

What is the versions of PPC OSX that you ran Everquest on when it was PPC only?
    Did anyone run on 10.5.8?

2. Tudo Bem

Tudo Bem Member

When Sony ran the show, it went all the way back to 10.2 (so says my CDs). All I personally remember was Tiger forward, so yes Leopard (10.5.x) ran it. I have an old PPC mac mini if you want me to try it.

3. Speedz

Myself and another that is working on the PPC stuff were wondering specifically if 10.5.8 ran it since a number of things changed in xcode apparently.
    I can't recall if I was on 10.4 or 10.5 back then. We aren't quite ready to test it in the wild yet. Still having issues even launching it.

4. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Intel Mac with Rosetta support could run ppc application. They drop Rosetta support in Lion and higher.

Elrontaur likes this.
  5. Speedz

Yea it actually dropped Rosetta in 10.6.8+
    I never tried it tho :)

6. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Think the PPC app is a Carbon app, won't run past 10.6.x and 10.6 Rosetta support was shite. You'll be much happier running it in 10.5.x.

Cutty likes this.
  7. Jadoangel

Jadoangel New Member

Pretty sure I was running 10.5.4 strait until sunset. If I find my disk I'll verify

8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Making this work on ppc is way up there in importance like monk ac

9. Speedz

Bum, the core team that is working on server code and expansion progress is not currently working on the PPC. This is just something I am messing with for the moment with someone not part of the project.

10. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Just bustin ya balls, nothing I didn't already know

11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Actually, getting PPC working is up there. We would like to get it functional. Contrary to popular belief, monks arent broke. PPC is broke.

Elrontaur, Mokli and Speedz like this.
  12. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Man, I miss my G5 Quad tower. That was a good box.

Elrontaur likes this.
  13. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I got a ppc mac mini, that i have done some testing with. It would be nice to play on.

Ida-Pro had a hex-rays decompiler for ppc now. Unfortunately a license costs like $3000. For a one time use, to even see if it would decompile the ppc binaries, thats a bit pricey. But we need someone to do a full decompile of main program and login/patcher. So we can get info on what is going on.

14. Speedz

There is a IDA plugin called Snow something or other I have but it does not do the entire file.
    Tedious as hell, but it does 1 function at a time ugh...

15. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I never got to use my PPC. It came in the mail; and they patched it out later that week. But I don't think every thread needs to be about monk ac.

I would love to dig that old PPC out and see how it works - even though it is rather large these days. And the mac mini does pretty well ....

16. Speedz

Considering how efficient our EQmac code is in comparison to what AK was. I am curious as to how much smoother the PPC runs on this code.
    Obviously graphics hangups are not entirely anything that can be controlled server side, but network and server talk from the server have vastly improved.

17. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

Boy do I also miss that G5 quad core with 8 gigs ram running it like butter

18. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

All of a sudden 2nd hand mac stores get tons of orders for old ppcs they use as doorstops.

19. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Considering becoming a 2nd hand mac seller specializing in PPC and profiting solely off my sales to TAKP players.

But seriously, if the devs or volunteers want to play around with the PPC client in their spare time, cool! Volunteer devs are having fun and enjoying their time spent (I hope!), we are just the lucky recipients of whatever they get around to doing.

Glad to see @Speedz hangin around!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  20. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

We cannot even get ppc to negotiate a connection to get in game. Soe did a weird auth via web, sending stuff to the client. We are trying to figure out how to authenticate.

We really need the protocols used.

Hobart, we need ur help!!!!

Speedz likes this.
  21. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Bum said he has his info - dunno if troll. I'm almost positive utdaan has his info but he's so opposed to emu's he might not help anyway. I dunno maybe he's on LinkedIn or something - pass the word along. I mean he can only say no right.

22. lurari

lurari People Like Me

He is.

23. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Its weird that I answer my own questions.

Tuluvien likes this.
  24. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Yes he is

25. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

And @Elcid volunteered to pay him for his time

26. Elcid

Elcid Member

woot!