Tradeskills and being lazy - how soon would it be worth attempting Tigeraptor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lusiphur, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Probably a laughably stupid question but I thought I would ask anyways. Having just went through 46 pottery combines without a skillup I began to question not just my sanity but best use of my time.

Tailoring is currently 158. Next step with that is Solstice Robe but my JC isn't up there yet to make the chain (working on that too).

Now I have a baby ranger I am working on and would like to put some Tigeraptor items on him. I can farm the hides and make the studs easily enough and would even get XP doing so. The question is whether the combine would be worth it at such a low skill? My tailor would have max WIS and the Geerlok btw.

2. Vladimirr

Vladimirr Member

For tailoring you could farm Velium Hound Furs in WW. Make some Soft Fur Padding. Trivials at 176.

3. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Isn’t there some acrylia stuff you can make. Lots of acrylia out there now a days.

4. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Thanks for the responses but I am trying to ask if I can avoid more clicking by just jumping straight to the Tigeraptor or if it will be futile.

5. Vladimirr

Vladimirr Member

You won’t avoid more clicking. You’ll fail the combines quite a bit and I’m fairly certain that failed combines have a lower skill up chance than successful combines. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Velium Hound Furs + Silver Thread = Soft Fur Padding. (176 Trivial)

Easy combine, you’ll need the Padding’s eventually for Shawl 8, and the Hounds are average xp.

6. Vladimirr

Vladimirr Member

If your goal is to make yourself some armor, I would look at Acrylia Studded Armor.

7. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Here's Darchon's tradeskill calculator for TAKP: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/tak-tradeskill-calculator.6216/

With 158 skill, you have a 20% chance of succeeding on a tigeraptor combine; a bit more if you have a Geerlok (tinkered 5% mod, sometimes available for a few hundred plat or less in the bazaar). So yes, you could do the combines now if you wanted to farm about ~5 times the necessary quantity of materials.

Another option would be to farm and buy the materials, do any necessary subcombines (drake egg oil and velium studs), then ask around, perhaps in alliance, to see if a high level tailor is willing to do the combines for you.

(Incidentally, Vladimir is right that jumping to Solstice Robes for tailoring skill-ups at 158 is a bad idea.)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  8. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

You definitely seem to get more skill ups with closer trivials to your own skill. Try to choose combines based on that.