The best way to one box solo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by numinari, Aug 17, 2018.

1. numinari

numinari Member

For nostalgic purposes. I kinda just want to randomly, occasionally log in one toon. Most of the time, maybe have one geared PoP main eventually. For nostalgia's sake, what is the best way to one box?

Roll a necro? Mage? Farm gear? I want to be able to pick and chose whatever classic twink gear I sorta want on my characters. So like a set of darkforge, and a dark reaver.

I've got a lvl 38 wizard sitting at HGs lackadaisically killing them once in a blue moon for 1% exp. I feel like this is slow though, and it doesn't give me freedom to farm and gear my alts the way I want.

Maybe I should just roll 3 mages and get them all to 50+ then use those to gear a toon?

I don't really have the time to sit at this game and play like I use to. For hours on end. I feel like two boxing some characters will slow exp rate unless I sit constantly killing. Which kind of gives me the feeling of being stuck in a group anyway.

Perhaps I should roll a mage and cleric alt? Or something and use those to farm. I don't know.

I'm not a big fan of researching spells to reach a classes full potential either, I feel like necros are sort of limited in this way too, except for leveling on low level mobs.

Enchanters are tough to play, especially without good CHA gear and a shield and stuff.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. shortok

shortok People Like Me

1. Necros seem like a great way to just log in for several kills and then bail or FD and do a few things and come back. Allows you to do some creative dungeon crawling. Iksars seem neat for that. Can add supporty classes to extend that a bit. (dru/sham/wiz/enc/etc)

2. Big fan of multi-mage groups. All airpet stun all the time. Pretty easy to get by with mediocre gear as well.

3. I found some success in just maining cleric and showing up at trios unprompted. Not a great way to acquire gear though usually.

Videri-Tala and lurari like this.
  3. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Go Necro. Get a little bit of help from the community with your highly needed research spells (or just charm when you dont have the next level pet). Being able to FD is huge when soloing. They aren't as limited in solo targets as a mage as well.

I've soloed my own necro from 34-48 part time and it has been a breeze. I mainly use him to make a little money while I am focusing on something else.

numinari and Elrontaur like this.
  4. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

If you go with Necro, I can hook you up with some of the essential research only spells. Let me know if/when you get that far!

Edit -- damn that was a weird autocorrect typo. Just noticed, fixed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    numinari and Elrontaur like this.
  5. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I prefer druid. (big surprise)

SoW + snare + root + heals + charm + 70%(!) pet haste + animal fear absolutely wrecks animals. (aren't druids supposed to defend animals, or something? why are we animal killing machines)

Procedure: charm animal, give it weapons to make it quad, snare another animal to pull it, fear it, sick pet on it, cast level 1 DD on it, sit, wait for exp. On pet breaks, cast level 1 root on pet, then recharm. Druids also get animal tash, which may or may not be needed depending on the NPC and your level.

If you really want to have fun, stay in wolf form (it's faster than SoW) and SoW your pet.

Note that PoP animals can't quad though, so enchanter and mage charms are better late-game.

There are alternative ways to charming if you have to kill non-animals, of course. e.g. kill non-animal mob with pet, then break charm and finish low HP pet with nukes. Or aggro kite non-animal while pet kills.

You can solo up a druid pretty quick, get some AAs, and you have a great character to powerlevel with. This is my typical route.

numinari, Elrontaur and Sketchy like this.
  6. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

Charmed animals can weild weapons? Huh, never knew.

numinari likes this.
  7. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Yeah. Everything dual wields with weapons in Classic through Velious zones. Most Luclin animals dual wield too. It's PoP where they started flagging NPCs to no-equip all over the place.

Timorous raptors is a fun place for druids. They have large aggro radii, but you can CC them all with snare+fear while they await their turns to be ground into pulp from your SoWed hasted super pet.

PoP ZEMs and the high level exp bonus are so nutty though. I did raptors quite awhile before moving to PoNightmare. Nightmare was more exp even though kill rate was much lower. I spent time in PoDisease as well.

numinari likes this.
  8. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Yeah druid is a great choice too. From 45?46? to 52 you can nonstop quad spirocs in timorous deep with a Lumi Staff. This is by far the fastest safest and easiest exp you can solo, and gets you the best PL spells quick.

Druids can also charm solo SolB(bat pet), Chardok(wolf pet), Kael(wolf), among the many outdoor zones. Good stuff.

numinari likes this.
  9. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

The most fun I ever had was soloing Wiz to max level on AK. The low levels are hard, but they really shine at the top levels. Quadding is where it's at for solo XP. Make friends with an Enchanter for AoE fun.

numinari likes this.
  10. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

Don't level up characters just so that you can twink other characters. On any server. Ever.

This is a waste of time and pretty much means that you don't want to play the class(es) you're leveling to twink the character that you actually want to play. You say that you don't have the time to sit down and exp exp exp, so how are you going to level characters just so you can twink out another character to then level it? That takes way more time and is not nearly as fun as just playing the class you want to play. Leveling on this server takes time, even with the added bonus.

Fwiw, best three classes in the game when you put them together are sk, enc, clr.

11. numinari

numinari Member

I have been playing my wiz again some. Finally got staff of temperate, jboots, flux and plenty of mana to quad. I do enjoy wiz lol. It was slow going for a bit, and somehow the disconnections I was getting earlier have cleared up a lot. So I'll probably stick with wiz. It'll probably take me another year to hit 50, but that's fine. I'm just on the fence about how to spend my time in EQ. For now this is fun, I'm not sure it will last though.

12. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

As long as what you're doing is fun you can't go wrong. Do it until it's not fun anymore.

numinari likes this.