Taunt mod on items do anything?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mokli, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Being that Parry, Dodge, etc are essentially useless for specific classes as outlined here: https://wiki.takp.info/index.php/Block,_Dodge,_Parry,_Riposte_modifiers

Does the Taunt mod actually help if at the skill cap already? It doesn't seem like it would be easy to test since taunt is pretty reliable on DB cons and under and very unreliable on white + cons.

I understand that the foraging mode on the Foraging Machette doesn't do anything at cap or is that incorrect?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  2. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

So some boots dropped off Bertox aye?

But more seriously, yes I think taunt mod doesn’t do much since our taunt doesn’t work on anything difficult.

Slayzz likes this.
  3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

I had asked Solar about this a while back, and the understanding that I came away with is that your taunt skill is only checked on things below you in level (and that a mod can help there). For higher level targets, there's just a fixed success chance.

Mokli likes this.
  4. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

What is the success rate for regular taunt on red cons? I was under the impression it was 0% for raid bosses basically.

5. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I thought I read it was 1-2% on anything higher level than you. *you just gotta believe*

Ripwind, Draeko and Frosst like this.
  6. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

I just did the foraging machette quest for the first time ever a month or two ago. While I was deciding if it was worth the time and effort the best info I found was a post by an SOE dev from 2007.

https://mboards.eqtraders.com/eq/fo...trade-skill-discussion/31466-foraging-ability

But the problems with the trustworthyness of that info are pretty clear. 2007 is clearly a few past the AK fork, and there might have been undocumented changes between the fork and this sketchy post. The dev mentioned a few posts later, the next day after this quote, that a different SOE dev had maybe changed the cap of the foraging skill without keeping him in the loop. Four days later he repeats that the other SOE def still hasn't even confirmed or denied the skill cap change.

It's pretty easily possible that TAKP's foraging skill works differently, but I went ahead and did the quest in case the extra skill points help before the skill is naturally capped at least.

7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

On live it was neat because you could see the skill go up in the client with the mod on if it were to work.

On Taunt, I did just find this if its still valid, from 2015: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/11-4-2015.4287/#post-23551

* Taunt no longer has a greater than 50% success rate.
    * Level 60+ players will no longer be able to taunt NPCs 6 or more levels above them, and the chance to taunt NPCs above their level will decline by 10% per level above the player. (targets +5 levels will do 10% instead of 0%)
    * The taunt success chance is now based on absolute taunt skill vs the target's level instead of how close the skill is to the player's skill cap. This makes taunt a bit less effective on NPCs near your level once your taunt skill stops going up with level, however a bonus to taunt chance is granted for level difference above the target. A negative bonus is applied to targets above the player.

I feel like taunt was changed within the past few years though.

8. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

I have definitely, maybe, plausibly, successfully taunted a raid boss on accident.