TAKP newbie questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Girrocks455, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Girrocks455

Girrocks455 New Member

Hello I am brand new to TAKP and had a few questions
    1. Do you have to box to find groups?
    2. What’s the server population like?
    3. Is there any way to open/close all bags lol?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

Welcome

1) Level 1-46 you'll probably find it challenging to group and boxes are an easy way to deal with that. Once you can get into PoP zones it appears to be easier (at least from observation).

2) Server pop is listed at the server select screen. There are 5 or 6 active guilds I think.

3) All at once, no.

3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

For #3 once, they are open, I believe just hitting escape closes them all. No way I know of to open all at once, however there may be some UI options with them open al the time.

4. giantfortt

giantfortt Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

I always recommend people read through this excellent thread by Darchon. It's chock full of great information:

Saying that, my perception is most people who only play one character will hit a wall when it comes to XPing in the mid-50s. The PoP zones (where most people are playing) are a large spike in difficulty, and even classes that have a reputation as being 'strong soloers' -- Enchanters & Necros, for example -- will struggle without being in a group.

If you're interested in raiding, (almost?) all the guilds are recruiting and they're looking to reduce the amount of boxing in end game raids, so solo boxers are definitely welcome and you shouldn't have any issues finding a group to join.

pivoo likes this.
  5. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

To open all bags at once, make a page of hotkeys that contains one button for each inventory slot. Something like this:

- Go to an empty hotkey page, for example by pressing SHIFT + 2.
    - Click and hold on your top left inventory slot until the image appears on your cursor.
    - Drag the image to the top left hotkey slot and drop it there.
    - Repeat for your other inventory slots.
    - To open all bags, go to the hotkey page (SHIFT + 2, or whatever) and type 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.
    - To close all bags, just press ESC.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    pakman, CTroi, showstring and 2 others like this.
  6. Girrocks455

Girrocks455 New Member

That genius thank you

7. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

If you plan to solo, be sure you check for other characters in similar range, If you find someone that 3-box and you join, 4 characters group get best XP possible. If you are say level 10 type: /w all 8 12 to get all characters around your level, at that time playing. Then send a tell.

If you will 2-box, pretty popular duo that works great together, especially for starting is beastlord and druid. You can later use druid to power level some other characters if you decide to do so.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I suppose you could then create a hotkeynet script that would look for a key combo you don't have bound in-game, and then fire off the 10 key presses to make it happen.

Pithy likes this.
  9. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Just use a cool UI. It’s cool.

Mokli, necra, Break and 2 others like this.
  10. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

Yeah boxing can be intimidating at first, especially on a server like this with the old client and no automation allowed, but just doing a simple two box with a druid as the second box is an excellent way to get your feet wet with it. Allows one to level a melee with a lot less pain, and makes it a lot easier to bring in a third box later on with DS for easy PLing. I did this myself. Ended up abandoning my druid and starting a shaman instead once druid got to about level... 52 I want to say? But having a pocket druid if I need her is handy enough that I don't mind that she doesn't bring much to my group experience anymore y'know?

Another tip for a new boxer is make sure to use two screens if you can, obvious as the advice is. I just use a cheap old TV hooked to the HDMI out of my laptop for my second screen, got it for $10 at Goodwill. Works well enough for EQ. Really helps wrap your head around navigating two rooms at once. I tried to run one screen early on and ended up making so many dumb mistakes just from not keeping aware of what was going on on all my boxes.

RichardCox likes this.
  11. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

alt tab or bust

Mokli and RichardCox like this.
  12. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

Idk how I ever tolerated just alt-tabbing lol. Hotkeynet FTW.

pakman likes this.