New player, first time boxing part 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kabouter, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

I figured I'd create a new topic with some more newbie questions but unrelated to my previous post.
    I've been playing for a bit over a week now and so far it has been a blast (got my little group of adventurers up to level 9 and my dwarf has the complete newbie armor set, hopefully my gnomes will get it tonight).
    I do have some questions however after playing for a while:
    1. It seems pets always have agro? No matter how much I nuke the npc will stay glued onto the pet. Is this normal or is it just because my nukes aren't strong enough yet? Once I get into radius of the pet however they immediately jump onto me.
    It also seems that whichever pet takes aggro first will be the one who keeps it.

2. Any other items farmable at a low level that sell for good pp? I've farmed a bunch of spidering silk and bone chips, but nobody seems to buy it in the bazaar for over a week (even at a lower price than any other seller).

3. Are the enchanter pet spells still in high hold keep? On the wiki it states PoK as well, but I can't find it at the seller that listed it.

4. I tried to set up macros as suggested. However due to the amount of fizzling these are horrible. How do you take into account the fizzling at later levels? Just write /cast x 3 times on a different line?

2. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

1. At low levels proximity aggro is extremely strong. Aggro on this server is a function of the NPCs max HP. What this ends up meaning is low HP mobs tend to not follow expected behaviors when it comes to aggro. So for a while, at least the first 20-30 levels expect to have to get up next to a mob to pull aggro on it. Any amount of Nuking or casting hate spells generally won’t do anything especially at lower levels.

2. I’ll look for your trader tonight and buy the silks. I don’t think bone chips sell well on this server. Spider Silk is another option especially when you’re in the high teens - early twenties. Farming those in East karana is a good way to get plat and exp.

Also I would recommend combining the Spiderling Silks into Silk Threads and the Spider Silks into Silk Swatches. These are no fail combines and save the buyer from converting them on there own. Many buyers will pay a higher price for these. Typically I’ll pay 100pp/stack of silks but may pay 250-300pp/stack of silk thread or swatch just because I don’t have to do 10 combines.

3. Yes Highkeep for the chanter pets. But more generally there is an extremely useful resource for finding spells on this server.

Check out the TAKP Resources -> Spell Guide ( https://www.takproject.net/spellguide/ )

This page will show every character on your game accounts that can scribe spells and is level 2 or higher. Click on one of those characters and it will show every spell that class can scribe from level 1-65.

Spells you already have scribed are shown with a green line through them. In the top left corner of the page you can click the Owned button. This will hide all the spells you already have scribed on that character, leaving the ones you could scribe but don’t have scribed. Likewise clicking the Unowned button will hide the ones you don’t have scribed.

On the far right side there is a table called Scroll Name. In this table you will find a link to the item of the spell scroll for each spell. Click that link and it will take you to an allaclone page showing you where that spell is sold or dropped on our server. It pulls directly from our server database and will show you exactly where that spell is obtained on our server. The only exceptions here are sometimes there are 2 different spell scrolls (specifically for some caster research spells), and I think it will just pick one of the two scrolls there. Also if it is a dropped spell it won’t show NPCs that are triggered, IE they don’t just naturally spawn in the zone (this is typically scripted raid event mobs). Outside of those weird cases this page will guide you to finding 98% of your spells.

4. You’ve just got to level up and skill up. Eventually the fizzles won’t be too bad. For now you could just remove pauses and do three lines of the same cast and hit the button each time you want to cast a spell.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Sketchy, Neealana, showstring and 3 others like this.
  3. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Thanks Darchon, first of all someone just bought my spiderling silks, if that was you thanks a lot. And I actually sold all my bone chips as well just now :D.
    I'll also look into creating silk threads and silk swatches, thanks for the tip!

The spell guide is very helpful, I just did the walk with my enchanter to get his lvl.8 pet (up till level 16, wish I had sold my silks earlier could have gotten all my pets in advance).

Ok for now I'll just do it manual, it's not that hard yet anyways.

4. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

You can make a hotkey that casts 5 spells with the pauses for all 5 spelltypes, and leave it getting auto-pressed all night with a bard singing AE manasong by you - lots of bards willing to sing in an unpopulated corner of POK for you.
    do that for an overnight every 5-10 levels and you will be good to go. It's one of the few allowable AFK-macroing things here.

5. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

Omg my mind was just blown. I didn't even think to macro all 5 spell types in 1 button.

6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

There are 5 spell schools, 1 line per school.

Abjuration
    Alteration
    Conjuration
    Divination
    Evocation

You just have to set the correct pause before each of them so that you don't consistently skip a single spell school (I've failed to do this before), you also need to make sure you pick low enough mana or long enough casting spells to allow the bard AE regen to recoup all the mana you need to get through all of the spells (I've also failed to do this before).

When done correctly you can cap out skills over a night or two from 0 to max.

7. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Yup. Further, you can script HKN or whatnot to switch between 3 instances and hit that 5-spell button on each, to get all your boxes maxed in a night or three.

8. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I just recently worked on the spell fizzling and I feel pretty good about it being accurate. It should be a nice progression where it's one of your biggest enemies at the beginning, and as you get through the 30s and your skills catch up, it becomes less of a problem, until eventually you get SCM3 and the fizzling is mostly a thing of the past (except a few high difficulty spells). Having your casting skills lagging behind is going to make you waste a lot of mana - 40% of the cost of the spell each fizzle, and it makes stuff like Stinging Swarm useless without KEI until you get your Conjuration caught up.
    Does anyone else remember casting for practice on the docks while waiting for the boat? At one time you could cast on the boat too, but that's not the case here.

Choir and Sketchy like this.
  9. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I remember being super excited to get swarm on a ranger at 30 only to find that he couldn't cast it and could only practice conjuration at night.

10. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I soloed a Druid as my first toon on live and recall that being the case with fizzles. Skill lvl vs fizzles were harsh.

I think the problem here is we are all 3 boxing right from the get go and lvling much faster than a solo toon would on live back then with horrible gear. Even solo here is much faster because we all have been playing the game for an eternity and know the best spots or can easily find out where they are. I remember kiting in the Karana's for a long time and the xp was horrible, but it was forward movement without a group or a rezzer if I wanted to try something more dangerous. Much slower xp means many more casts and therefore practices.

11. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Even my trios are so inefficient that almost everything is maxed as they level. I usually just get that one school of magic that has no practical spell that I forget to work.

My most recent trio is wiz/bard/SK. Not a healer in sight. Also working a bst/dru/nec

12. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

My highlevel bard AE songs now seem to fizzle so much that I have been getting Intellectual Superiority buff. But if it's from client decompiles, so be it! :(
    You said that Bards have to max Dex and Int to get minimized fizzle, right?

13. solar

DEX and CHA for bards. The two together are used in place of WIS/INT for other casters, so bards have to max out 2 stats to get the same effect.

Cadsuane likes this.
  14. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

OK, time to start getting CHA buffs even on non-mez/pac content, hopefully I can remember that now.

15. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Does Brilliance of Ro work for Bards?

sowislifesowislove likes this.
  16. solar

It does, it's equivalent to having 20 points added to your casting skill, whether that's Conjuration, Singing or Percussion Instruments. It stacks with Intellectual Superiority.

Sketchy, Devour_Souls and Cadsuane like this.
  17. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Same effect as Intellectual Superiority (+6), but +20! -- do they stack or just use the highest number, since one is worn and other is buffed? (Curious as I have a Ro item on one char)

(and digression, whyever did the live devs not continue the spell line, enchs get a +3 at 12, a +6 at 20, then nothing)

18. solar

I think fizzling is intended to be a low level mechanic you battle when you're a newbie. It should mostly go away for max level casters whose skills are caught up, especially once they have SCM3. The buff and the worn item are added together.

Cadsuane likes this.
  19. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Yeah I definitely levelled a lot faster here than on p1999. Besides since you only play 1 character it is easier to practice certain skills while waiting/in a group.

Right now I'm rotating my trio of casters in to get their defence and offence skills up. Although I guess offence isn't that important in the long run, but defence will be nice to have.

I'll think about letting my pc run overnight just to level up my casting skills if things really get bad :).

In other news, I sold 3 more stacks of spiderling silks. So flush with cash I bought a lot of cheap pieces to fill up slots for my characters, even got this item a Chetari Wardstaff for 5pp. Too bad my quested tomb is useless now, but still a steal for that item I think.
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4055

Thanks again for the help guys!

20. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

I didn't realize that clicking the spell scroll gave the actual vendors in the game with the spell scroll... That's gold! I just found a copy of Cornucopia on a vendor in Qeynos for my mage.

Tuluvien likes this.