Secrets's cool tweaked client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vannari, Oct 13, 2015.

1. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

Shorty are you using the client from the "getting started" on the wiki page?

2. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

That dll is visual c++ runtime 2015. U need x86 version. Might need all of it installed, not just dll.

shortok likes this.
  3. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

5. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

This is amazing, i'm really excited about it. On my win7 machine I did the same thing, just needed 32 bit version of the Visual C++. I'm also using MSI Afterburner and it works great for the FPS problem! Boxing is so smooth and easy now and it didn't take too long at all to figure out with a bit of google and youtube help (mostly with afterburner).

So far have only had 3 issues:

- I had to turn numlock off to switch between clients, it had me confused for a minute there, haha. Which isn't really a problem aside from the fact that I use those keys when I'm not playing EQ, not a big deal.

- I also have a problem where sometimes if i minimize and then try to click on the client in the taskbar or alt+tab to it, it won't open, it just stays down there and i'm forced to manually close the client. -edit- It doesn't seem to matter if running hotkeynet or not or if i click on it or try to use alt+tab to get there, I think it ONLY does it when i alt+tab to the "show desktop" option, not when i alt+tab to another window or browser.

- This only works in windowed mode i assume? I tried doing windowed=true and false in the eqclient.ini and neither seemed to change anything. It's just a tiny eyesore but it doesn't seem to line-up correctly on my monitor. on the left side of the screen is a white line where my desktop must be barely showing and it cuts into the right side a little so that it looks full screen instead of lining up. Any way to solve this?

There's the ol' gamma slider as well but that's insignificant I think compared to how great this is. All in all this is a huge upgrade and truly a giant step-up. Especially with things being more available now. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. vannari

I only had that issue with the old client I had. But the version from the wiki didn't need any extra downloads.

7. Tollen

Tollen Member

8. surron

surron People Like Me

there are some issues with this client when using multiple monitors.

say eq is on monitor 1 and chrome is monitor 2.

rarely will alt tab succeed. normally it refocuses the eq window instantly after letting go of alt.

i have to alt tab to chrome but before i release alt i must move my mouse to chrome and click inside chrome.

I know you play on a 57'' screen Secrets but if you get the chance plug in a 2nd monitor and see if you notice these issues. Thanks

9. Secrets

Secrets Well-Known Member

I have a fix incoming for this soon. I'm playing with it ingame before considering it fixed.

Will let you know when it's working as intended and will update the RR thread with it.

vannari, Mokli and surron like this.
  10. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Thanks Secrets. Any chance the instances can be split or unique? Meaning, when I run them from different folders, the settings used will always be from the first one you initiated. This can be a problem if you are running different resolutions or general settings (sound, etc) on each client.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  11. vannari

Having a hard time logging in all my clients. I find often that a second or third client will close all the previous ones. With EQW I could just log in all 3 at the same time or one by one with no probs.

p.s. I got there in the end :) Failed 3 times in a row and then I tried logging each one in together to the character select screen. And then took them into the game from there one by one.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  12. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

On a side note, the latest version of dxtory is unstable and is causing me to crash in EQ. It was also crashing flash and shockwave plugins randomly. Only use the version labeled as stable if you have any issues and see if its any better.

13. vannari

Getting a weird bug sometimes where CTRL gets stuck and the mouse cursor disappears. Happened once in Fear which was dangerous but luckily I could still F8 and then do ALT # to shoot some spells off. Eventually it just started working again by itself. Just happened again now and took a while to come back. May be wrong but I think using chat might have fixed it but not sure. I tried going to other clients and they were all the same. Tried alt tabbing to my browser and things seemed fine there so it must be a game thing.

14. ~Mae~

~Mae~ New Member

With the old EQW client wrapper I would get a similar bug, but i would be unable to fix chat until I tabbed. It seems like / would get stuck in a non active window and I wouldn't be able to click back into it. Might not be fixable other than, be careful of chat windows, use the /always chat here. Might be your specific key bindings if it's easy to enter chat input at the same time as another command.

15. souske

souske Well-Known Member

Something like this happened to me in KC the other night. I had 2 clients loaded in from a 3 client LD and when I went to load the 3rd client it closed out all 3 windows. Surely the end result was death. So many things went wrong there with the 3 client LD and then the clients itself closing out. Hopefully there is a fix for this issue.

16. vannari

Happening to me at the moment again. But weirdly this time, one of my clients is fine, the other 2 have locked cursor. Also chatting doesn't seem to help, and also holding left and right mouse doesn't seem to do anything (doesn't even make me run).

Ohhhh! I just tried closing the client completely and restarting it, and the cursor is still stuck.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  17. Tollen

Tollen Member

are you using the run as compatibility in property of the shortcut?

18. vannari

No compatibility here. No administrator too. Think that might help?

19. Tollen

Tollen Member

compatibility causes some of the issues you described. so you don't want to use it from what secrets told me.

Dunno about admin that prob could never hurt?

20. vannari

Yeah worth a try =) It is rare so might take a while to know. I noticed the cursor sticks sometimes for a second or so when one of the other clients is loading in, so it makes me think it might be an issue with multiple clients that causes it. Also semi related, my cursor movement goes slow on one client sometimes. Mouse Sensitivity in the game is still the same and windows and the other clients still work fine, but one client feels like the cursor is being dragged through mud. Could be related. Overall though the clients are great for me besides this one bug.

21. vannari

Bit more info, I tried Admin and I couldn't log in because the window went black. Also when I was playing tonight I got a mouse bug again but I could move the cursor this time, I just couldn't click anything. Left and right mouse seemed like they were disabled. I camped and closed all clients and relogged the three back and it was working again =) The only thing I'm doing that might be different to other people, is that I copied my game folder and I run my main client from one folder which has graphics set to full, and the other two clients use a folder with everything set on low.

edit: Some more info again. Happened again today and I noticed that when I hold left click, one of the spell gems highlights as if its going to be clicked, although nothing happens. I can move my mouse anywhere and when I click the same thing happens.

Edit: OOOH might have found a fix! It seemed like the cursor was still working but it was stuck in one little spot. I tried pressing Alt Enter and nothing looks any different (it was already full screen) but now the cursor is unlocked. Will try again when this next happens.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  22. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

I figured out my problem thank you very much for this update secrets!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  23. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

This thing has been a godsend for me, thank you for your hard work.

24. Logad

Logad New Member

This can be fixed in eqclient.ini. Find these lines and change the numbers to something suitable. Offsets count in pixels from upper left corner to the window's upper left corner.

FEWindowedModeXOffset=10
    FEWindowedModeYOffset=10

Khorpus likes this.
  25. vannari

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  26. vannari

Seems good for me but I have one bug. Whenever I use the ALT key, which is every time I cast a spell and if I ever bring up a menu, the next key I press I hear the windows "Default Beep" sound. So basically every time I cast a spell it beeps at me. Other than that it seems the same as usual but with the bonus of being able to minimize the game and see my desktop if I need to.

27. am0nr3

am0nr3 New Member

I have the same issue since updating to the new code. No issues otherwise, just a beep when I press Alt+# to cast a spell.

Also, thank you Secrets for your hard work!

28. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

i had a weird bug happen with show desktop. After i used windows key and clicked show desktop, then opened firefox, one of my eq windows shrank to about 2"x2" and I couldnt get it back to normal size without /ex'ing out. I could actually see my character in that little window like it just shrank the resolution down. I rebooted my comp and loaded back up and next time I used show desktop it did it again. Yesterday I used show desktop probably 20x without any issue, not sure what I did wrong today.

29. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Did you /cast Tiny companion ?

30. vannari

That's what used to happen for me every time before this new update. That's why I never used to use show desktop.

Since this update I can now do show desktop, and then go back to the game, although the computer struggles to figure out which thing should be on top. Show desktop works, sometimes I need to press it a few times though. After that, alt tab seems to usually stop working entirely and it seems like I am locked at the desktop, but if I use my autohotkeys to switch the clients, one of them will jump back to the top. Usually only one will appear, but if I spam all the autohotkeys and keep pressing alt tab a few times, then eventually the 3 clients end up maximized again and alt tab starts working and all returns to normal.

It isn't the slickest process ever but I am really happy with it because it works. I can visit the desktop and then bring the clients back and then carry on alt tabbing to browser or whatever. It's actually pretty rock solid for me nowadays. I do still have a rare bug where the mouse stops working on one or more of the clients though, although the last two times that happened I just camped that client and it fixed it.