Restarting a bard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arune, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Arune

Arune New Member

I wanted to mention that I play 1-character. However, upon playing for like 4-hours killing bats, etc. (Kelethin) - Despite trying to kill fast and/or just kill - it almost appears the bard has a serious lack of attack.

I cannot say I remember 10+ years ago - maybe I was just more patient. However, just trying to kill - just had me getting killed over and over again. Literally, bats killing me, wasps killing me, I could barely kill anything.

I leveled to 3 before I was pulling my hair out. I played a mage for an hour and leveled quickly.

Additionally, there is a severe lack of bats and bat wings in GFay. Years ago I leveled all my characters here but I got 3 bat wings in 5-levels killing nothing but bats (when I found them) - I got them 1 out of 15 at the maximum.

Is there something going on with bard damage? Or AC? Something? I just wonder because I don’t remember ever being owned so badly...

2. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

bards don't have double attack, also you're just level 3 so probably not going to get far comparing rusty weapoons versus "i remember 10+ years ago"...

bat wings are sold in PoK on vendors fyi

3. Arune

Arune New Member

I get that...

I am just stating I have leveled 3-bards on Live and one nearly 14-years ago which was my note on the 10+ years. I understand their deficiencies. I don’t understand the quick deaths.

For example:
    The mage vs bat a level higher getting beat on didn’t die before I killed it melee.

The bard died - 3x

Wizard killed it melee

——

So please explain?

They all conned the same by the way. Except the bard got killed twice alone by an even level (white) mob.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  4. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Sounds like RNG.

A level 2 bat might hit you for max damage a few times or it might miss. You might hit it for max damage a few times or you may miss. The difference in deaths at such a low level could just be three rolls of the dice going against you.

The first few levels in EQ are capricious. Only once exp slows down a tad and you get proper skillups in offense, weaponskills, and defense does combat have a more predictable outcome.

Arune likes this.
  5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Welcome to the server!

Most people typically wait until at least level 5 before inquiring on how to improve melee damage calculations based on empirical evidence from memory of eqlive from 15+ years ago, but I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm.

When presenting your counter-argument, can you please ensure you follow this format with regards to thoroughness and accuracy:
    http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40543
    http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Calculating_NPC_Offense_and_To-Hit
    http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Data_Collection

Looking forward to your results!
    I know this may take some time to compile, but hopefully with your help we can ensure this server retains the best eqemulator experience available.

Mokli and Ripwind like this.
  6. Arune

Arune New Member

Absolutely, I was simply just asking because I was unsure if it had been parsed / checked.

I will run some more tests with logging so you I can post it. It could be just me (the previous poster is right - it’s random at such a low level:skill level)

I will update it as I know more.

One question I have however is whether AK is the same as live? I know live has made things easier and I’m curious whether the live data would/could be helpful?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  7. Megolash

Megolash New Member

Just keep trying Arune. If you train a few levels in 1H Slashing at your trainer it might go a long way to helping you, but simply throwing yourself at the newbie mobs, dying, respawning and attacking them again will eventually gain you some weapon skill, defense and offense. Once you have those skills at 20 or so, you will start mowing them down. As far as comparing different characters, I think you just got lucky/unlucky. They're equally bad at hitting stuff when you first start out and have 0 skill.

Arune likes this.
  8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

You're singing Chords of Dissonance whenever you fight at level 2 right?

Two damage per tick is huge at that level, and it basically never gets resisted against even cons. Far more valuable than Chant of Battle is. You can of course twist the two songs.

Arune likes this.
  9. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

AK was not even close to live. But there is data on live that is useful because we can't visit AK.

10. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

At those levels, and with how slowly skill levels can go up, you attack is likely quite low and probably causing you a bit of trouble. You might want to swing by PoK and just ask in OOC if available to throw some buffs on you. Most folks are more than happy to. :)

Arune likes this.
  11. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Theres some oddity in low level monsters and how often they hit. I've seen a few bug reports here on that. It's something that scales much better post level 5. For a bard, grab the best weapon you can, sing your level 2 dot and twist in your buff. You'll be 5+ before you know it, in Kurns or crushbone and cruising.

Arune likes this.
  12. Arune

Arune New Member

Yep thanks guys! I just found it curious but like I said - it’s been a long time since I leveled with no assistance with either weapons or power leveling. Therefore, I will give it another shot this evening.

Thanks again!

13. Radda

Radda People Like Me

I love my bard

14. Gerrish

Gerrish New Member

I just restarted my bard in Qeynos. (First time, made him a Veeshan worshiper, and one quest that knocked me down with the corrupt guards, they were attacking me.) The newbie yard has tons of bats (level 1 and 4), skellies, gnolls (pups and a few higher ones), and klicniks (level 2 and higher). I collected enough bone chips in four levels to take to Kaladim and almost get to level 5. Also, lots of drops sell for 2gp, so I was able to buy a scimitar and leather armor by level 4.

15. Arune

Arune New Member

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like the newbie area may be a little better there. I will have to check it out.

16. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Qeynos newb area is well-populated with mobs and various noob armor drops.

Arune likes this.
  17. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I like these newbie areas...

Qeynos: Highly populated, a clear distinction between low level (1-4) and the next step (Qeynos hills, 4-7).
    Field of Bone: Fast leveling 1-4 with the amount of level 2 and 3 monsters to mass kill. Lots of spider silk.
    Paineel yard: Shortest distances to run. Fast leveling 1-3 but lacks level 3 monsters to make 4-5 doable. Good for bone chips.

Dwarf and Gnome areas are decent, but I think the above three are best due to population.

Arune likes this.
  18. tomgggg

tomgggg Member

Getting to level 20, without buffs and without free gear is kind of horrible in my opinion. Doing that without boxes sounds even worse. Once you get a little higher in level though it does get so much easier. My favorite levels were the late 50's because by then my trio actually felt powerful.

Arune likes this.
  19. Arune

Arune New Member

I agree - they are much better. Thanks guys.

(I will note that GFay seems to be a little better closer to BB but otherwise slim - yet those guys are above my current level)

20. Arune

Arune New Member

Completely agree... running around even at level 5-6 with nothing but rusty weapons and a cloth wrist sucks... heh

Beginning to honestly question whether I have the will to stick it out. I have no problem leveling but god forbid - I have nothing... it’s hard and honestly may be a bit more time consuming than its worth at this point in my life.

I also agree with the higher levels... I always loved the 40-60 area since I felt far more at ease just running around and/or doing anything. I also had more than 8gp hah. It’s hard - so much harder than I even remembered but it’s been years.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  21. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

I dunno, I kind of like the early levels to be difficult. I spent 1-10 in Qeynos area and got all my newb ranger armor, and really enjoyed it. Some of it I wore until much later. If you get twinked right away you miss out on a lot of the game and feelings of accomplishment, I think, but I know not everyone feels that way.

Mokli likes this.
  22. Arune

Arune New Member

I agree there too. Only thing is - I have experienced it all a few times. Just not on AK (or this one). That’s my only issue - however, I do have to say that in the end, you certainly appreciate every level doing it this way.

23. tomgggg

tomgggg Member

I think struggling in the early levels makes the late game more rewarding. I only got one or two items on my initial tak run through, but I did buy a lot of bazaar gear. I enjoyed the early levels as type two fun, but still find the later game to be a lot more entertaining.

It also took me two years on the server before I hit 60. You don’t have to get to the end in a month, this server is only going so far anyways.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018