Rate at which this is getting developed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

It has been mentioned that people didn't really like Classic as opposed to newer expansions.
    Well, sadly it is not as easy as one would think to just flip a switch and be in newer areas and have it work right off.

Cavedude could explian this better, but we are not like any other plug and play EQ server.
    Because of the nature of the client(s) that connect to us, and the base code that we use in order for the clients to connect we have much work to do.
    There is much that needs to be reworked, content needs to be added back in or converted, code needs to be refactored to function correctly.

Our plan is to have an accurate to Live of our era (AK and PoP only). This means we go slow and make sure things work right before releasing them.
    Then once each expansion is released it is play tested while we work on the next expansion and fix things already released. While also fixing things players discover that need adjusting. This process is a per expansion base. New areas won't be opened until we are comfortable that what was last released is done.

Also, we are only a few people doing this as a hobby. We get burned out and sometimes could use help.
    So if you think our pace is slow and you have the skills to help please look here: http://www.takproject.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=45
    PMs for release this, release that, I want Velious or I want PoP won't get no where.
    Especially if you don't contribute to the speed of the current content/code deving.

2. nwin

nwin New Member

So I'd like to help, but I didn't have too much experience with EQ. I played live back in 2001 or so up until 46 on a human monk. Then I got into EqMac and played for about a year as a 65 iksar necro and did a few planes things. I know a few zones here and there, but definitely nothing special. On top of that, I have limited time.

I'd love to help where I could, but I feel like all I could do is pretty much level up a character and find random things that were wrong during my leveling and submit those as bugs. Would that even be worthwhile?

3. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Play testing is half the fun as a player.
    It will be open signups once I get the web page released.
    You are more than welcome to help out. Play testing and bug reports are helpful too.

4. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Honestly I think this project could seriously use some more hands. Attempting to recreate a MMORPG is a rather massive undertaking, and we're like half a dozen people. This is an open source project; the advantage of open source is that anybody can contribute.

I already put in way more time than I had wanted, to the detriment of my finances. The amount of time I contribute will be declining soon. (not that anybody has seen much of it yet, but you'll be seeing a thorough analysis of several game mechanics posted to the eqemu dev forum in the next week hopefully)

There are a lot of highly knowledgeable AK vets here that could do simple database entry. The only real problem is that the editor has like, no documentation. (although much of it is obvious)

One thing people can do without being 'recruited' is to simply make a character on the live servers (test is free gold membership, although you have a better chance of finding raid bosses up on Trakanon) and make some logs before SOE shuts down the game, which can be placed into a repository. Who knows when SOE shuts EQ1 down, but a huge opportunity was lost when AK went down with little warning. It's a simple matter to just level a character without the finishing blow AA, turn on 'Target Click Shows Help' in the options, and collect any of the following data: (bard might be the best for this)

max hp (finish mobs with low dmg weapon)
    min/max hits (do not wear shielding gear, do not have vie buff on)
    attack speed (let mob beat on you awhile with back turned and never leave melee range)
    resists (shaman may be the best for this)
    special abilities: summon, enrage, rampage, wild rampage, flurry
    aggro msg/death msg/killed player msg
    hails/quest text
    con faction, faction losses/gains, social aggro?
    procs, innate spells
    belly caster?
    see invis?
    can it wield weapons?
    immunities: slow/root/non-magic weapon/charm/mez
    slow mitigation
    regen (stopwatch between hp %s)
    ac, atk (not sure how to find this out yet)

The dedicated can also video record the game to capture:
    aggro ranges
    run speeds (is this in the packets?)
    pathing
    NPC faces/sizes

If anybody is interested in this kind of data collecting, I can powerlevel them on test. But please, only if you're seriously going to put in some time. (alternatively you can buy a 'heroic character') Yes, live is different from AK, but it's still a valuable source of data and certainly better than guessing when a lack of old EQ data is available.