Ranger or Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neopolitan, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

No one mentions that rangers can’t ranger(bow) on this box? Big time negative to playing a ranger for anyone reading this thread in the future. Read the thread in the general discussion about arrows and cornered mobs.

Essentially bows and arrows won’t work on any cornered mob ever on this server. The fear is ranger bots doing excess dps. But it sounds like wizards are boxed up the wazoo here and aren’t tied to a 72m disc to pull great dps.

2. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

It's frustrating - you can't reliably shoot stuff unless it's positioned appropriately for it. This is how real EQ was - it was frustrating there too, so the spirit of that has been captured in the TAKP emu. But as you noted, it's only for a couple of minutes every hour that you'd be shooting for, so you only have to keep it out of the corner for a short time. Unfortunately the default position for any NPC that lives more than a couple minutes is to go into a corner. That's the frustrating part. So it's not technically identical to live EQ, but the effect it has on gameplay decisions is the same - you're better off with melee unless you can arrange for the positioning ahead of time.

3. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

Might end up changing to an SK. My vision was to be in PoP farming AA and other things with a charmed let tanking and the ranger bowing from range. Controlling push with a charmed mob seems difficult. Is anything off about this?

4. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

You won't be cornering mobs in xp group, push or not. Walls are fine. keep at it with the ranger it'll be fine in the scenario you describe. The archery stuff is really raid related and only raid related.

Rhanx likes this.
  5. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

If you do somehow end up cornering with a pet you can just tell it to back off for a second. Archery is fine on stuff like that, and on permarooted raid mobs like some of the ssra snakes.

6. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I played nearly my entire AK career exping like this exactly. Charmed pet - ranger bow - shit dies before it hit sthe corners .

lurari likes this.
  7. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

You can't autofire with them either, unless your focus is on the ranger b/c keystrokes on a box that does not have focus is not allowed.

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

As someone who is going to be doing exactly this, can I ask why you think your charm pet is going to be pushing mobs into corners? Is there a reason you wouldn't be able to move them if they did? It seems like you are looking for solutions to problems that don't really exist.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Liegezen likes this.
  9. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

I think I got myself worked up about nothing after reading that Archery Thread. Perhaps raiding isn't a huge deal but it still stinks that Rangers aren't able to use all those fun AA's on raids.

10. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

They will be able to. Don’t worry.

MB, Terris, Tallon, Aerin Dar, HoH Trials, Agnarr, Carprin, Everything in Elemental Planes (except maybe Avatars in Air?) will all be open air kills.

Grummus, Bertoxxulous, Vallon, Saryrn, Rallos, LMM you probably will corner.

In PoTime just bosses will be cornered and even then you can keep CT/Bertoxxulous/Terris/Saryrn out and arrow them like we did on AK.

11. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Yeah you won't be able to zone out and shoot every boss while watching a TV show but you can still do it with plenty of them. Rangers are supposed to be versatile, get in there and melee sometimes!