Permanently Broken AA's or those that don't act as the description/you'd expect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mokli, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Not for complaining, just to compile a list that I'll throw somewhere on the wiki when I get time. Brief description would help. Thanks.

Bards -
    Channelling Focus - Bards don't channel, so pointless
    Extended notes - Only affects group songs, not AE songs

John Stark, Sketchy and Break like this.
  2. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Cleric -
    Celestial Regen shows on the AA window that it will be useable again in 15 mins but the server makes you wait 72 mins.

Quirk, John Stark and Mokli like this.
  3. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

I'm not sure how detailed you want to make this, but Celestial Regeneration was changed to be a group spell and MGB-able not long after our era. For us, it's only single-target. That may be a common misconception for players from live.

John Stark likes this.
  4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Yup, stuff like that is good, thanks.

5. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Enchanter - Spell Casting Deftness and Quick Buff

Beneficial spell haste caps at 50%. Levels 1, 2 and 3 of SCD add 5, 15 and 25% haste for 2, 4 and 6 AAs. Levels 1, 2 and 3 of QB add 10, 25 and 50% haste for 3, 6 and 9 AAs. To hit the 50% haste cap, the cheapest route is to buy only QB 1-3 for 18 AA total. No levels of SCD are needed; in this sense SCD is obsolete.

It's worth noting, though, that focus effects can add another 10-30% beneficial spell haste and clerics can buff it further by 10%. If you have a focus effect or regularly get the cleric buff, it may be cheaper to hit the 50% cap with a mix of SCD and QB.

On Al'Kabor, there was a bug that let enchanters cast beneficial spells instantly if they had SCD3 (25%), QB3 (50%), a cleric buff (10%) and the best possible worn focus effect (30%). This bug was not reproduced server-side on TAKP, but it still exists in the client. The upshot is that enchanters with this AA/buff/focus setup can't see their spell casting timer bar when they cast beneficial spells.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    DubRemix88, Cadsuane and John Stark like this.
  6. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

So THAT'S why I can't see my casting bar when casting buffs. This has been driving me crazy for a long itme. I'm pretty sure it happens without blessing of faith because i rarely bother casting it on myself. but still..... it's nice to know where it's coming from.

DubRemix88 and Pithy like this.
  7. Wellmine

Wellmine Active Member

Beastlord Hobble Spirits AA works but snare effect isn’t strong enough to stop mob flee.

8. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Oh, interesting. I held off on buying the third level of SCD. With QB3 (50%), SCD2 (15%), Wind of the Nightcaller (30%) and Blessing of Faith (10%), I still see my cast bar for beneficial spells. So apparently your spell haste has to be above 105% to get that particular bug?

9. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

With QB3, SCD3, Wind of the Nightcrawler, and Blessing of Faith, I still see a cast bar.

Pithy likes this.
  10. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

Bards Jam Fest only affects bards and no other party members or song recipients

11. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

The plot thickens.

12. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Pc client vs Mac?

Radda likes this.
  13. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Welp, I just tried it again and could only get it to happen with BoF on. PC client

Edit 1: HOWEVER, it's been happening for a while now and i only just got my nightcaller leggings a month or two ago. I never had the fake aten shoes either.

Edit 2: It was probably my shissar ring, which I also no longer wear. That was a wild ride.

14. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Yep. PC client has no cast bar. Mac client does.

15. RichardCox

RichardCox Active Member

"Once you train this ability, you may imbue your pet with an attack that is reputed to slow an enemy's walking." [emphasis added]

Hobzz' experience was that the reputation was overrated. I never got a snare in a couple hours' of trying. AND it blocks the pet proc spells (e.g. Spirit of Snow) as well, which was not mentioned in the AA description.

Spirit of Snow DOES proc, but spending 5 AA doesn't? No Thanks, I wish I could get a refund.

16. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Sketchy, Tesadar, Elroz and 4 others like this.
  17. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Mokli makes the best wiki pages

Lenas, sowislifesowislove and Mokli like this.
  18. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Few more to add:

Magician - Frenzied Burnout
    currently doesn't stack with "Ancient: Burnout Blaze" due to slot2: armor class buff stacking issue, it over-rides 80% haste of Ancient Burnout with 15% haste v3 of the AA which makes your pet do a lot less dmg
    https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/sad-mage-burnouts.14052/

should be fine once Burnout5 is released in PoP hopefully

Rogue - Poison Mastery
    doesn't seem to work? thread: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/rogue-poison-mastery-aa-bugged.14671/

Mokli likes this.
  19. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Bump

Is this in any way fixable, like the fleet of foot AA or anything like that? Please?

missing spell casting bar is quite bad :(

I bought deftness as my >500th AA because there was nothing left to buy, and now I broke my enchanter. I have now subsequently added the necessary warning on the "Broken AAs" page.

Bug issue:
    Your client thinks you got less than 0 seconds cast time on your beneficial spells, so it doesn't cause the spell casting bar to appear. However, on TAKP, the developers disabled <0 sec cast time beneficial spells.

Would it be possible to refund those who bought these AAs to un-break their enchanter?

The spell bar doesn't work for me, here's a video. Note: it only affects beneficial buff spells that would have <0 sec cast time on old EQMac server.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Radda likes this.
  20. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

a quick fix would to allow for the 0.1 sec cast time on those spells ?

21. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Might be getting converted to integer 0 in the code somewhere?

22. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Edit: I misread what people were saying. Disregard!

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  23. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Does the bug persist if you take off your 30% beneficial spell haste item or click off BoR?

On AK, you needed all of the following to get instant-cast buffs: SCD3, QB3, 30% beneficial haste focus effect, BoR. I'd think that removing any one of those ingredients would eliminate the cast bar bug?

24. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I think I tracked this down and will have a fix for it in an updated dll. It only happens on the windows client and not on macintosh one, from what I can tell. There is logic that computes the reduced cast time and caps it to half of the original cast time but the logic itself is flawed and appears to consider the cast time to be unsigned, so it doesn't think that negative whatever is less than the original cast time. It just thinks the spell already completed so it doesn't draw the cast bar. I fixed this by patching a single byte in the game code. Since this logic is also present in other versions of the client and works correctly there, my speculation is that it was source code that was relying on some implicit casting or typedef and the error went uncaught when some compiler option or header was changed and caused it to stop working, since it only happens with that specific combination of items/AAs/spells.

Pithy, showstring, Cadsuane and 2 others like this.
  25. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

in my youtube video, I showed that removing BoR fixes it, and re-applying it breaks it again
    so yep, I believe all the elements need to be present for the bug to exist for the windows client

Pithy and Cadsuane like this.
  26. RossGuy

RossGuy Well-Known Member

Since we're back on the subject of broken AA's, is there any chance Bards can get reimbursed for points spent on Channeling Focus? Can the devs just remove it from the AA window like they have on other servers and expansions? It shouldn't exist if it doesn't do anything, yet the description is very misleading. Today, one would have to know where to look to find this information in order to avoid being misled. In the past (the bucket I and a lot of others fall into), this information wasn't readily available at all. Just really stinks waisting all those AA's on something that literally does nothing.

That being said, a big thank you to the devs for fixing Fleet Foot. <3

showstring likes this.
  27. solar

This channeling thing isn't broken in any meaningful way where it hurts anything. I don't see a reason to mess around with it.

28. RossGuy

RossGuy Well-Known Member

I hear you. But one could easily argue that it wastes a lot of AA's which means a lot of wasted time, and that hurts.

29. Frosst

Frosst Well-Known Member

The Wiki page (https://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=AA's_that_will_remain_broken/useless_or_act_differently_than_you_expect) says "if you have combined >100% beneficial haste, buying these AAs [QB3 and SCD3] will PERMANANTLY BREAK YOUR SPELL CASTING BAR FOR BENEFICIAL SPELLS! DO NOT BUY ALL OF THESE AAs!"

Does buying all of these AAs do anything besides break the spell casting bar? Does getting them harm the functionality/capability of an Enchanter?

I read through this thread and my takeaway was that it is just a cosmetic issue (i.e. disappearance of the bar). Is the stern warning in the Wiki page just a warning against wasting AAs or something more?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  30. solar

The cast bar issue only affected older versions of the windows client. That problem doesn't happen on the macintosh client or on the latest version of the windows one. The stacking of these haste effects is also more complicated than just adding together the percentages. I don't think those AAs are useless, I mean I would fill those in before innate dexterity or something.