Problem with loading windows client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zelius, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Zelius

Zelius New Member

Hello all,

Having an issue booting the game with the windows client i downloaded. I also updated it with the "free the mouse v2" update and am getting an error and crashing "the instruction at 0x034dbe48 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read." Any help would be appreciated.

2. Zelius

Zelius New Member

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. Maybe that could be the issue?

3. lurari

lurari People Like Me

I ran into a handful of issues when getting started with the Windows client. I recall some DirectX shenanigans being the culprit via Google, as our version of EQ wants some old stuff that isn't default in new versions of Windoze.

4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Delete ur eqclient.ini and eqfecfg.cfg files. And then restart eqgame.exe

5. Zelius

Zelius New Member

So anyway, I figured this out last night. I continually have to delete the eqclient.ini file each time I log in. Alternatively, I can manually change BitsPerPixel from 32 to 16 and then it works. However if I completely close the game and open eqgame.exe again it reverts back to 32. Kind of a pain but at least I know what is causing the issue. Has anyone else found a permanent solution to this? No biggie if not.

6. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Sounds like a file permissions issue.

7. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

change the setting to what you want, and then make the eqclient.ini file read-only (right click the file, properties, tick read-only box, apply)

that's what I do :) not because I have similar problem to you, but because it helps minimize unintended eqclient file changes

8. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

If I don't run with eqw, I have all sorts of window manager and graphics problems. eqw.exe seems to be the salve to a non-trivial set of these types of issues. Try running the eqw.exe program that comes with the takp client. (also learning autohotkey which also comes with the takp client has been awesome for multiboxing.)

9. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

i had the same issue, i re-installed my client and it fixed the issue

10. Qualla

Qualla New Member

I run exe, get loaded, but when it goes to the character load screen, all wording is unable to be read.

11. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved