Poll 2 of 2 Devs are curious.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, May 9, 2017.

?

Box limits

1. Leave alone

2. 2

3. 6

4. unlimited

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

This. IF any change is made to boxing limits, it should be lowered.

Ransom and lurari like this.
  2. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

just echoing these sentinments also

3. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

I felt anxious about that too initially...I really think this was mostly just curiosity rather than trying to gauge something that needed to be done. Mostly the results seem to be that people like it as is.

4. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I think it's important to engage the community and see where general preference lies. That does not have to be acted upon, but knowledge IS power.

5. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

limit boxes during prime time / weekends? :D

maybe do that one weekend a month just for the hell of it anyway, as an experiment/bonding event Single Box Weekends, learn to group again!

6. jcmtg

jcmtg New Member

Create new meta thread: why did devs bring up Polls #1 & #2.

Dane likes this.
  7. Amirite

Amirite Well-Known Member

i would love to box 6, but it gets annoying without macroquest. i'm fine with 3, although 4 boxing sounds nice so i could add a slower to my trio...

8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

I wish we could have 4 so I could add my Druid to my bst/mage/clr

I 4 boxed on AK and I miss the 4th here

9. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

4 was pretty perfect for that mezzbot bard slot

10. jcmtg

jcmtg New Member

Can mezzbot with 3-box enc/clr/brd aready. What's your ench trio w/o a brd?

11. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Even tho this seems like a witty post on the surface. I do understand the sentiment.
    As I said before I didn't exactly want to do the polls for the specific reason of creating uncertainty in the playerbase as to just what hairball the staff coughs up one day.

To those that have been concerned about these polls. There is nothing to fret over. We saw exactly what we hoped to see in some regard.

On AK, the playerbase was united for the most part. It was like a huge family. We may not have always agreed on the stupid simple daily things.
    But, we all agreed on the health of the server, the health of the economy, and we were all upset over how the PC introduction to the server harmed the AK life.
    Then finally we all mourned the loss of AK at the end. Many of us knew those that passed away in the time of AK and after. Many of us knew those people or knew of them.
    We all were effected that were loyal AK players and fans/friends of each other. It hurt like losing a real family member...

The double edged sword however was, SOE likely would have pulled the plug anyway eventually, the PC stuff just made it happen sooner. Tho had it NOT been for the PC hack, we would not have TAKP.

Now, the reason I quoted this and went on about a summary of AK and loses we endured and how it relates to what I personally wanted to see from these polls is this:
    The community is now a mix of old time AK players (some still missing) and now new players from various places like live and p99.
    The polls have so far shown me that even tho many players are not AK, they carry the same values. Our community is showing they stand together.

This is exactly what we wanted. We can restore as close as we can to what AK was in game play, but it is YOU that restores the community.
    We are not going to mess with that.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  12. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Btw 100% fault is on Secrets for ruining AK by opening the can of worms called the pc hack.

Oiwon likes this.
  13. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Then I guess it's also 100% Secrets' fault that we have this amazing server, so they cancel out.

Neealana, Quirk, pharmakos and 2 others like this.
  14. Speedz

^ This

15. Locnar

Locnar Member

I'm not convinced SOE would of closed down AK if Secrets and his hack did not come along. Closing and wiping the player data on a EQ server was a very serious move. I think they would of let us linger on indefinitely, so long as we played nice.

As for this poll, I chose 2 box.

16. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

AK was on life support before the PC hack. The PC hack allowed gathering data to help with takp.

The PC hack just made it more annoying for the natives in those final days.

The PC may have actually contributed to a little more time while in ICU before the plug was pulled.

AK was probably costing $10k a month to keep up. It was a bleed on the bottom line.

lurari likes this.
  17. lurari

lurari People Like Me

People forget that Faite (and others) had Mac-native hacks. The PC client brought MQ2 and trollware to the masses, but AK had its share of Mac native problems, too.

18. shortok

shortok People Like Me

I will never forget Faite's Quick J*****f M**********n instructions - Guaranteed Denial Warp Guide Youtub video.
    (there was an adult video in his Spotlight search.)

Ransom likes this.
  19. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Not forgotten but nowhere near as accessible as MQ2. Not something any uneducated pleb would be able to do by downloading some .exe's and typing commands in-game.

20. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

I also prefer a 2 box limit, but to change the box limit at this point would be kinda weird.

But if weird is your thing here's a crazy idea..

Keep Classic through Velious at 3 boxes the way it currently is, but change/limit Luclin and PoP zones to 2 boxes.

Muahahahaa

Cheers

Mokli, pharmakos and Ransom like this.
  21. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Only because the final legwork hadn't been done. But the ability was there.

22. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Do these polls again after Luclin or PoP. Call me pessimistic but I see a flood of people coming to this server once those expansions open up and the raid scene going to shit. I mean what was the peak "total number of players" 6 months ago low to mid 100's? It's gone up nearly 100% in 6 months.

Mokli and Speedz like this.
  23. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Yeah I worry about that too. I think we should server cap at 500 and spawn another identical server, with a short window of time where you can transfer. Or, frankly, we could be elitist snobs and go to invite only using a sponsorship model, where you can only get a slot if you know a current player who is willing to sponsor you and would be responsible for your behavior for some amount of time. Or we could do queuing but everyone hates that, including me. Not a lot of other options. Reducing the box limit would help some but thats just a stopgap and would change the nature of the server.

Speedz likes this.
  24. Speedz

I think if the population hits a steady 350+ maybe 400 that is a good time to revive these polls. Good idea.

pharmakos and Quirk like this.
  25. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I personally have no interest in splitting the server or reducing boxing limit unless there is a resource issue.

First I would want to try and make sure we exhasted all means to support higher populations.

H

Mokli, Dane, Speedz and 1 other person like this.
  26. Speedz

But, aside from instancing contested zones/targets there is a point where population is an issue regardless of server performance.
    The polls are good to gauge how much unrest there is over quality of game play.

27. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

Ench/Cler/Mage + bard would be stellar

28. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Eventually, supply and demand will yield a natural saturation point. If people can't ever find mobs up, they are going to leave which lessens competition until they are replaced by someone else.

Whether you want the server to reach the natural saturation point and/or what you are going to do to slow/stop that from happening is up to the dev team. But at this point, this is all hypothetical. The server has grown quickly over the past few months, but it's still fairly small on a macro level. And hopefully our world will be getting larger in the next few months when Luclin releases, which will allow for more players to do more things. I agree to stay these conversations for the time being.

Speedz likes this.
  29. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Stellar, yes. But how easy do you really want the game to be? There is essentially no risk in this foursome.

Speedz likes this.
  30. Speedz

A skilled player running just a bard and chanter can be pretty easy mode too.
    I have not played in over a year, but this is my preferred box make up. I don't 3 box even with the option there.

I'm not as good as many with this combo, but it is still pretty great.