Poll 2 of 2 Devs are curious.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, May 9, 2017.

?

Box limits

1. Leave alone

2. 2

3. 6

4. unlimited

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

part 2

2. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

My ideal server would be a 2 box limit, however, I cast my vote for leave alone. Because the rule set was 3 when I started, I rolled a druid and enchanter to support my paladin. I would not have chosen either of those 2 support classes if the box limit was 2. With limited play time, the idea of starting a box over to get the support box I would want does not appeal to me. Neither does the idea of a pal/dru or pal/ench combo.

3. Speedz

I suspect this would be a common thought. Mostly just a curiosity poll.

4. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Given the vocal "2 would be the ideal" crowd, I expected that option to have more votes than its current 18%!

Speedz likes this.
  5. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Agreed. Squeaky wheel doesn't appear to want the grease the most. I would have voted for 2, but not enough people play west coast times so only two boxes would cripple Savannah and I from doing anything meaningful.

6. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I would have voted 2 at server start, or maybe 1. I don't know. But I see no reason to change now.

7. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Same as I voted at server start - 6; because I am comfortable with a full group and I will always invite people. Don't know why this can of worms is being opened now.

Saskoris likes this.
  8. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

voted 6

due to timezone don't get many people playing at my time, so I miss the versatility of the full group I could box on official al'kabor server. would happily pay to box more chars

sucks not being able to have more utility in groups, and having to decide which chars to pick and having to port everywhere twice while relogging, etc...

also this client constantly crashes to desktop when switching chars, drives me a bit insane having to wait for chars to go LD and timeout all the time :(

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  9. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Voted leave alone, while I would rather 2-box I don't think it'd be worth the shakeup.

10. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

I voted leave it alone. Ideally, I would prefer a 2-box limitation and would happily eat the lost utility I would get from going from Rog/Clr/Enc to Rog/Clr.

That said, people have created characters and advanced them on the assumption of being able to box 3 toons. If you make it two, that will potentially force some folks to start over on a box.

11. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

Sounds like they're toying with the idea of a second server. Perhaps the server will have a different box limit.

12. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Come play with us forum warrior.

13. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

I think the 3 box limit is perfect.

Wilshire and Faults like this.
  14. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Personally, I am in a timezone that doesn't see a lot of play so would prefer to go up to 6.
    Unless it's for a new server then going down to 2 is hugely problematic with time investment for people.
    3 boxes work no doubt but 6 would just be a little easier.

15. Speedz

The reason this can of worms is being looked through is talked about in the other poll thread.
    Haynar said it perfectly. We are exploring player ideas and options to reduce police time so we can get back to code.
    The butthead people are reducing our code time but not killing it. We do this for fun and preservation, not to be cops :)

I voted for unlimited, just because I would have 100% of the policing time freed up to continue web developing.
    I have a massive undertaking I am currently working on that I KNOW will be bigger than a smash hit. But it is pretty mind numbing to work on.
    I lose interest and time playing with idiots and their antics drains what is left.

BTW we also said way back when that we would revisit this sometime in the future (the box count).

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Wilshire likes this.
  16. Dane

Dane People Like Me

As a preface: I play this game to raid. Cordinating with a bunch of other folks to take down something powerful is fun for me. For this reason, a 6 box server sounds terrible. 3 dudes could lock down rotation spots in this era. Or if no rotations, 3 dudes could poopsock raid content in this era. Either way, yuck! 6 boxing is great for PlatinumQuest. Not great for EQ's raid scene.

A more intriguing option to me would be a single box server along with this 3 box server, but I still don't like it. As somewhat of a compromise, I voted to reduce the box limit to 2. I think creating a separate server at this point would be divisive and a huge mistake. The population is growing but not nearly large enough for a split. I want TAKP to continue growing, and I look forward to playing with and getting to know more awesome people here.

showstring and Speedz like this.
  17. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

The only reasons I can think of to have a limit is to prevent raid spawns being locked down by a box group or because some people get their panties in a bunch about boxing.
    On Live the only limit was how many accounts you wanted to pay for and the content was much more contested.
    Please enlighten me if I am wrong but I don't see much in the way of downside to going to 6 or more.

Speedz likes this.
  18. Speedz

You are not wrong at all Lusiphur.
    But we are making this server for 2 reasons. Preservation and for the players since we are also players.
    As I expected, a majority of the opinions do want specific limits. Even tho unlimited would help me out immensely, it is not what the players like so far.

19. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

2 things. RMT is not allowed so I don't see why people would monopolise content for plat.
    Secondly, forcing people down to two boxes will have a worse impact on population than a split imo.

20. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Oh, indeed. Most want to just leave it as is which I am fine with.
    However, I was curious if there was a decent reason not to allow people a full group. Personally I would just add a bard and a porter to go to 5 with the bard being mana song and probably never touched and the porter probably only ever casting port or evac. After all there is a quite an attention drag the more boxes you play.

Speedz likes this.
  21. Speedz

I added the 2 box selection because of the quite vocal 2 box crowd.
    I agree that dropping to 2 would be quite harmful in general. It was the biggest "curiosity" bit of the polls.

22. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Those who enjoy farming platinum and those who RMT are not mutually exclusive.

Speedz likes this.
  23. Speedz

Yea I can't stand boxing 3, but on the initial poll many months back 3 was my vote.
    It just seemed like a good number and I knew people liked to have the 3rd option.

Personally I just run a bard and chanter. Chatner charms bard mez locks. For travel well...bard leads :p

24. Speedz

Pokes Bum

(but doesn't poke Bum in Bum's bum)

The Shade likes this.
  25. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Indeed. But realistically what raid content are they actually locking out? In Velious you aren't 6 boxing ToV, Dain, AoW or Sleepers so what does it matter? Same in Luclin, no one is 6 boxing Ssra or VT.
    Apologies if I sound abrupt, I am on my phone. I am genuinely curious tho.

26. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Sorry speedz I gotta pay my mortgage somehow until my oil checks pick back up

Quirk likes this.
  27. Dane

Dane People Like Me

I said "3 dudes." So that's 18 characters. Can definitely do some ToV, some Kael raid mobs, Dain, Zlandi, and ST with 18.

28. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

You cannot effectively 6 box without macros and automation

Mokli likes this.
  29. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

The problem I see with 2 limit is a lot of classes do not duo well. Like we don't see too many rogues on this server since 3-box a Rogue can be tough to fit in. Same thing with 2-box except for even more classes.

Granted, many of these classes/characters are already created but anyone new coming to a 2-box server will be likely creating self-sufficient combos. Which would be 1 healer + 1 Tankish Melee/Enchanter/MAYBE Mage.

The number of Wizards/Mages/Necromancer/Rogues/maybe even Rangers/Monks/Warriors created would drop off.

Would be even more Cleric/Enchanter, Knight/Shaman, Druid/Enchanter type combinations.

As far as 6-box goes... being able to do all raid content with only 10 humans would be sort of lame. The group game, meh take or leave. But raids should require a fair number of humans needing to fufill multiple roles and coordinate together. Just my opinion though.

I voted leave as is.

Elroz likes this.
  30. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

A fully balanced group, yes.

But if you're compartmentalizing the roles on a raid specifically, you can be quite effective.

1 Guy = 6 Clerics in Rotation.
    1 Guy = 6 Wizards/Magicians
    1 Guy = 2 Warriors 2 Clerics 1 Bard on extra PC twisting 2 songs 1 Shaman
    1 Guy = 3 Enchanters with Charm + 3 Bards Automezzing

Sure... you're not gonna have a ton of rogues or monks, but you will be able to just have 3 guys make 18 wizards and blow everything up.

But yea you're not gonna have 6 groups of Tank/Cleric/Bard/DPS/DPS/Support filling your raid operating very efficiently.