Poll 1 of 2 Devs are curious.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, May 9, 2017.

?

Type of server you want (client connectivity)

1. Leave as is

2. OSX only

3. OSX but allow PC traders

4. 2 servers, This one as is and another OSX only server.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Your administration and developers are curious as to the feeling of the community stance since we have been online for a while now. We are merely curious, we may or may not act upon the results of these polls.

We MAY have to move these to RnF but for now they are here in general and open to comments.

Note: for the 2nd server options it would be a one time snapshot of the current database should that happen.
    So all characters would exist on the new servers. NOT a fresh reboot.

2. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Seems to me this would murder every guild on the server.

3. Speedz

Just a curiosity poll. Nothing may come of it.

4. Ketsumodoki

Ketsumodoki New Member

ik this is a curiosity poll but i think tryfan is right this would kill half the community unless u can run a hackintosh most people cannot afford a mac thus limiting the server to Mac OS only would totally kill it

Speedz likes this.
  5. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Oh gee look at this Mac mini I found for $25.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Min...1GB-RAM-80GB-HDD-MB138LL-A-OS-X-/122484656425

Or how about this 4gb one for under $100.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Min...-500GB-HDD-Early-2009-MB463LL-A-/292103379326

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Oiwon likes this.
  6. Ketsumodoki

Ketsumodoki New Member

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Don't bring your preferences into the discussion when you talk about the affordability of a Mac. You want a hackintosh, that's on you. This is a 17 year old game, you don't need anything top of the line here.

I play three clients full screen, no problem, with a 1.6Ghz dual core and 4GB RAM.

8. Ketsumodoki

Ketsumodoki New Member

YOU DO have a point but i don't see people going out and buying a mac even if it is 25 dollars or less just to play on Takp when they can go to p2002 that already has luclin and can play from pc

9. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I bought a Mac mini to play.

10. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

And f*ck p2002.

Excusez mon français

delete likes this.
  11. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Voted don't change anything, but I'd change my vote to split 'em up if the PC version was Titanium enabled. :)

Quirk likes this.
  12. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

I voted leave as is. Eliminating the PC client would hurt numbers.

13. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Those are the wrong options: Should be these

1) Add new server with no box limit

2) No GMs and banned characters are sent here. MQ2 etc allowed. It's called TAKP Hell

Elrontaur, Verdent, Linkamus and 2 others like this.
  14. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

I would plat there ☺

15. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Well. Please let me know before I invest any more time on the server. I am very concerned to see this being asked, even though you're saying it may not be actionable. You are asking for some reason.
    I really don't want to spend time on chars that may get wiped or made inaccessible any time soon. Why would you even care about OSX vs. PC?

Speedz likes this.
  16. RiffDaemon

RiffDaemon New Member

Voted to leave it alone, but if the PC client got eliminated, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a cheap Mac because this server is that good. I have a trio of 31s, and I'll do what I must to keep them going.

17. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I voted leave it alone too.

However. I did have opinions about PC client, and increased hacking. One option being limit PC client to one per computer, with hack detection dll, similar to p99.

There were several ideas tossed around concerning increased shithead behavior. And about how much time needs invested to address said problems. Do we address the problems after the fact? Or is do more to prevent on the front end.

The devs want to develop and make stuff.

The community needs to help us weed out the jerks. If someone is sending you tells to offer cash for items? Report them. If someone is bragging about 6 boxing? Report them.

This is your community. You can help make it what you want. But as our time increases chasing down the rule breakers, our time is reduced doing dev work.

Rrio and Speedz like this.
  18. Dane

Dane People Like Me

You guys have developed a great product. As the word spreads and popularity increases, it's only natural that some bad apples will want to migrate over. I feel like these bad apples eventually weed themselves out after some time on the server.

A lot of awesome and honest people play here via PC. TAKP wouldn't be the same without them.

19. Speedz

You already have this, it's called Dev server :p

I 100% hear you on this. This was my hesitation even asking. But as Haynar said, our time is becoming less and less to develop.
    BTW my vote was 2 servers lol

20. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

voted "leave as is" because I'm on PC and I've made a lot of friends here. I think the community can police itself against jerks, idiots, and blatant hackers. I don't know how to catch people using hacks for scroll wheel and things like that unless they're openly bragging about it though. If there's a way to use hack detection like p99 but still allow boxing on 1 PC, that'd be the best solution IMO - not sure if that's possible though!

Verdent and Speedz like this.
  21. Speedz

This is the next poll that will happen. I didn't want to add it this time around, because it is it's own can of worms.
    Also was pointless to ask about the dll thing if the population wanted OSX only or something of that nature. It was better to split the questions in tiers based on the results of the prior.

22. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Im still here, gdiaf

Quirk likes this.
  23. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I think most people just see through your fake troll bs though. You aren't really a jerk or a blatant hacker so I don't know why you quoted me on that.

24. gardnerjens

Not entirely true Speedz.. We dont have acces to all zones, so if you desire to play around in raid content with hacks and super multiboxing. but i get the point that they wanted us to test stuff insted of practising. i disagree though but respect it

25. Speedz

Ah yes, I tend to forget rob shuts off zones so people stop practicing raid strats instead of testing. Good point.

26. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

Yeah Kunark and Velious are disabled on dev. Did you know that column is a bitmask? :p Muahaha

27. Speedz

Byte meh

28. gardnerjens

but where would you go if you wanted to play 24 clerics without macroquest then :)?

29. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Yeah, I get it a little bit more now, I've stopped hyperventilating :)
    One thing is true - you are going to get a LOT more people interested in this server, because it is fantastic. This will bring with it problematic people, people who love to disrupt and crap on things. Weeding them out will take time and continual effort. We will probably get DDoSed at some point too. Making it OSX only probably would weed some of this out, but I bet not much. The only way really to get a firm handle on it I can think of is to go to an invite-only server, maybe also with a population cap of some sort.
    Have you thought about a guide or GM program? I think that kind of helps, although you can get problematic guides/GMs as well.
    But anyway, yeah - people are coming. We are at the start of a large influx, I think.

30. Speedz

Yep, a good server needs to have people monitoring it. We have had problematic GMs in the past.
    I added some code to stop GMs from "playing" or assisting their play toons. But it is expensive code to apply to every player server interaction for just a few cases.
    The trouble is, getting GMs that are honest and have a similar mindset as we do. The old adage bites us in the ass here of "Want something right, do it yourself."
    Sadly that also cuts into productive time.