Paladin questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Szev_Nightshade, Jun 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Szev_Nightshade

Szev_Nightshade New Member

I've been running Bard, Druid, Wizard (to level 40) and enjoying it but this definitely reduces the amount of content I can do. I decided to rotate in a Paladin because I definitely want a plate tank, they are great in groups, and they fill a lot of roles that the other three do not (particularly rez). Certainly with a druid healer rather than cleric I will still be limited but I'm OK with that. Paladin is obviously much more gear dependent than my other three classes, though, and I have a few questions:

1) If I'm focusing on gear, I imagine I will want to focus on Armor/AC specifically. Should I simply pick up what I can when I can in the bazaar, or are there certain items that are definitely a must for a paladin that I should be saving for?

2) With PoP now out, should I focus on Thurg/Skyshrine armor quests (including faction grinding) once I am high enough, or is that moot with PoP out now?

3) Again, with PoP out now, is Nature's Defender still worth questing? I have this option since I went with High Elf.

4) Are there other quests I should work on as I level? For example, having never acquired the Coldain Ring 9 (which is a LOT of work), how crucial is that item? Are there other quests I should work on (such as Eyepatch of Plunder, or the Chardok cord or band)?

Thanks, all!

2. Draeko

Draeko Active Member

There aren't any must have items. HP and AC are your main defensive stats. Resists once you get to high end stuff. Your aggro comes from stuns, so procs/haste are nice but not needed.

With PoP there's a lot of armor better than Thurg/Skyshrine, but the BP/Legs and even other slots are still good - Ornate Plate tranquility quested armor is good, but expensive (especially BP/Legs). Crafted PoWater armor is also good but even more expensive

For weapons there are a TON in PoP all better than the Nature's Defender (especially once you get into PoFire)

Ring 8 or 9 is great for an instant clicky to allow you to spam stuns. The Chardok Bathezid ring and eyepatch of plunder are also good into pop. Secrets of the Planes is a great hybrid PoP item to work toward, but the quest is quite difficult

3. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Good advice, but there are easier instaclicks to clear cooldown than ring 8/9, although without the beneficial buff.

4. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

Deepwater Bracer.

6 sec cast time, but no mana and will generate full threat since you have the spell in your spellbook.

May not be used super crazy often, but when you do need it you'll be glad you carry it in your bags.

John Stark likes this.
  5. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

A lot of the answers depend on what sort of playstyle you have. Are you planning on trioing by your self up to level 65?

Do you intend to raid? Are you a once or twice a month Raider or an attend 100% raids Raider.

I’d say there aren’t any must have items for your characters that change the world. Gearing your plate tank is the top priority on any trio with a plate tank.

If you’re not intending to raid then your gear ceiling has a few tradeable items that are miles away better than any other item available to you. These should be long-term goals for your character. Three big examples are:

Boots of the Storm
    Velium Encrusted Gauntlets
    Loyalist Shield (quest)

No other items come even close to these. Technically Farwater Plate is sort of decent compared to the boots/gloves but is way more tedious to make and not worth it. The 50 AC 75 Shield is the best shield you can get as a non-Raider and if you happen to snag the 50 AC 100 HP shield from a BoT tower boss the loyalist shield goes on your back and becomes the best back you can wear.

Now technically there are a few other items in this class. Ornate BP/Greaves are also miles ahead of most other BP/Leg options. Again Farwater is comparable/better but for the price you’re paying for resell ability and uniqueness. Then you’ve got like Scalecracker which is best in slot for tanks who can use it… but it’s never dropped on this server and if it did it would likely fetch multiple hundreds of thousands of platinum.

More short term goals are things like Bloodmetal Earring and Valorium Rings which are relatively cheap and incredible strong (earrings are arguably best in slot outside of raid content).

Velious armor is only useful:

BP/Legs from Thurg
    If it has a useful clicky for your character
    Skyshrine/Kael for most anyone provided it is easily obtained.

I wouldn’t recommend farming for these but if an MQ is offered for cheap or free it’s worth grabbing provided it meets those conditions.

Natures Defender is a good quest, but yea plenty of decent weapons are in bazaar and better ones rot occasionally.

Quests for Paladin 9th ring I’d say is best one. Bracers of Benevolence are some of the best bracers you will get pre-raiding and it’s an easy quest if you can split the captain. The eyepatch of plunder also pretty easy quest on this server id suggest creating a level 1 ranger to sit on the dock, it’s not like P99 or TLPs where you want to sit there for 60 hours straight waiting for Stormfeather. Lodizal maps often get called rotting. If you see Lodizal up often you’ll be able to find someone in alliance who can kill it for you and leave the map.

Personally I’d say the Spirit Wracked Cord isn’t a huge item for a Paladin due to its low AC, but it’s a fun quest that’s a long term goal for your character that may be enjoyable to work towards. I wouldn’t burnout trying to grind the faction or permafarm Drusella though.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Sketchy and giantfortt like this.
  6. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

If you're into min/maxing, the thing to do is beeline to 65, join a guild and get raid loot. Once you have levels, friends and some gear, everything else is so much faster.

If you'd rather take the scenic route, then I'd just buy whatever's cheap in the bazaar. With mass group buffs and a little bazaar gear, you'll dominate level-appropriate dungeons (until the buffs wear off, anyway!). For the paladin, I'd prioritize hitpoints and resists, a decent weapon, and a haste item. If you need cash, consider farming tradeskill materials for high-end tailors or smiths.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  7. Szev_Nightshade

Szev_Nightshade New Member

Thanks for your replies, all, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! Now it's time for me to figure out which of my other toons (either Bard or Wizard) to swap out of my trio on my way to 65! :)