Computer question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ugmar, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Ugmar

Ugmar Member

So I currently run EQ on my home computer and it's overkill for what the game needs. I know a bit about computers and video cards / RAM / processors, but all from a desktop standpoint.

I'm looking at getting a laptop primarily for work. I have zero interest in it being a gaming laptop, but I'm wondering how it would handle TAKP.

Does anyone know if a laptop with 4 gigs of RAM and an integrated Radeon R3 or R5 would be capable of running TAKP smoothly? Could it be used to run 2-3 instances smoothly?

Any experience or insight with modern laptops in the 300-500$ range and TAKP would be appreciated.

2. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

Crazy, I am looking for this exact answer too, but was thinking like an Intel 520 for the onboard graphics.

3. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Even a $300 laptop from 10 years ago could 3-box takp with max settings.

It's fine. You're playing on a game designed for 1999 hardware.

showstring likes this.
  4. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

You literally can't buy a computer that couldn't 12-box TAKP

lurari likes this.
  5. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I tried single boxing a dell optiplex 7040 with Intel 530 chipset, i7-6700T and 8 gigs of ram. Every time I faced the raid the framerate dropped to about 2 FPS. Not facing the raid it was fine. My bazaar trader loves it though.

Edit: Was using old models: all graphics settings on min(no particles etc):1920x1080 resolution

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  6. lurari

lurari People Like Me

RIMI WOULD KNOW.

[​IMG]

7. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Yes, contrary to popular belief you do have to have a somewhat decent computer. My MacBook Pro 2011 with 16 gigs does fine on raids etc. No lag really but it gets pretty hot. I also have an iMac 2009 eight gigs and that gets pretty choppy when I look at the raid. Just to give you some reference

8. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I run on 2010 MacBook (not pro)
    2gb, integrated garbage graphics .

My two boxes look at the ground. All effects are off. I've gotten used to the precautions that need to be taken. Overall it runs fine with 3 as long as I do. Zoning all 3 at once can take some time .

9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Are you using dgvoodoo2?

10. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Ugghhh....I'm pretty sure that I was NOT using it the one time that I tried to raid on that box.