Newbie saying hello

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Akreus, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Akreus

Akreus New Member

Hey folks,

Newbie checking in! Wanted to say how awesome the community has been so far with buffs, advice, and gear. Hoping that I can pay it forward once I'm rolling in Plat and loot.

I played eq back from Kunark to Legacy of Ykesha. I think my highest character was a 30 something ranger. Hoping I can surpass that. My golden age was around Luclin / PoP. I tried P1999 but couldn't stand the time required to travel between zones without begging for ports.

I rolled an Iksar SK and SHM (currently both level 7) to start and want to add a 3rd box. What would be more productive: a cleric or magician? Seems like a cleric would be low DPS but a mage would put a lot of stress on the Shaman. I lack a lot of game knowledge at the mid to higher levels, so a fool proof trio that could dungeon crawl would be preferable.

Thanks!
    -Akreuk / Charitzu / Vumil / Trea

2. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

hey, welcome to the server! hope you enjoy your time here :)

cleric and magician are both solid choices, particularly if you're new to boxing. both can add quite a bit to your other two characters with minimal attention required.

SK / SHM / CLR will indeed be pretty low DPS, but makes up for it by being a very survivable trio. with patience you'd be able to take out a lot of different targets.

SK / SHM / MAG might feel pretty low on heals for some level ranges, but in the long run it would be stronger than adding the CLR.

both trios have merits, tho, and in the end it'll come down to personal preference.

i'd also suggest considering adding a druid for your third box. it's a happy medium between DPS and healing, and if travel is annoying to you, the teleports will be really handy to get your SK out of dungeons. even with Plane of Knowledge in game for travel, i found my druid very useful for helping to get my paladin around while levelling up.

or heck, if you want to stick with all Iksar, a necromancer would perform a lot like a magician for your trio :) with the added benefit of necro heals to make up for the level ranges where SHM doesn't heal that well.

didn't think i was going to end up writing this long of a post, guess my caffeine kicked in :D

p.s. if you need some help with spell money, just ask!

3. Akreus

Akreus New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! Glad the caffeine kicked in as it yielded good advice.

I think I'll stick with the Mage for now. He's level 6 and I've collected a good deal of the ingredients for Noon dark elf armor. If I get frustrated with the lack of ports in the future then I'll roll a Druid to help out.

Necro never really grasped my attention in EQ. This is also the first time I've rolled a SK as well.

4. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

those newbie armor quests are nice. if you start struggling on any of them, tho, killing green mobs trying to find a rare drop, skip it. i ended up wasting a lot of time when i first started getting my characters full sets of newbie quest armor, and regretted it in the long run, because that time would have been better spent EXPing.

definitely get the pieces that aren't overly difficult, tho! totally worth it for those.

5. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I have a slightly different take, and think the newbie armor is really awesome for the casual leveler. My Paladin is my tank, and at 51 he's still wearing 4 pieces of it. Most my characters get it (if their quests are active) by level 20 and use it through 40-50. That said, if you are more willing to just grind money and use the bazaar, you can easily find better pieces. I avoid the bazaar too much and prefer finding gear as much as possible.

You'll be happy with mage. What your group lacks is an easy way to quickly single-pull mobs (pacify), rez and heal power. However, you'll make up for that in a solid tank, Haste/Slow and burning monsters down with the mage.

Find a solo player to pull for you (and give you about 17% more exp per kill even if they did nothing) and you'll cruise through levels.

Aegnor Eldruin likes this.
  6. Aegnor Eldruin

Aegnor Eldruin Member

In my opinion, mage is an extremely easy and effective third box to add to your existing tank and healer. I strongly approve.

Pacify is the one nearly "must have" component you'd be missing in the trio, but FD tricks will probably be just as effective once available. You'll also be able to handle several mobs at once when you get slow and multiple pets to keep everything occupied. You may end up pulling 3-4 mobs at once and mowing them down with ease, especially if you get your mage epic later on.

Solid trio for sure.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  7. Calid

Calid New Member

This.
    And with succor which is a level 17 (!) spell you're right there for the next session when you have to log out.
    (or you can use Thurg gate potions,but the handling is super annoying cause they are lore).

And add an Enc.
    I always wondered where that love for Shammies came from,especially here where most people 3 box they are very inefficient.
    There isnt even hardly enough time to cast all desirable spellls on a mob when 3-boxing,how one is able to squeeze canni in is beyond me.
    So ideally as a starter you want any tank/Dru/Enc which would cover *everything* you need in non-raiding environments.
    You even get that useless stat crap from shammies in some form for free. :)

8. Akreus

Akreus New Member

Hmm, thanks everyone for the advice and feedback.

I'd love to add a Druid but I'm scared to roll more chatacters... I've always been an altoholic and this would enable that behavior :). Maybe I'll roll a duo box or something to level them up in parallel.

I had some time to play this weekend and bashed some skeletons at Kurns, currently level 13 on SK / SHM and 13.5 on MAG. No issues so far. The trio definitely picked up once the Shaman got medidate and the SK got spells.

Hoping to move to Paludal soon followed by Najena to try to pickup some of the mage focus items. Also saving some cash for sets of banded armor for the SK and SHM as it seems like there's some Iksar only quests for these classes for some decent armor around level 30.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  9. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

If you're going to do Paludal next, you can get a full set of the chain armor that drops from the bandits there pretty quick. I remember it being worse than banded, but decent. It also sells for 1-3pp each. Paludal you can do 15-25 (19-25 comfortably when your shaman gets the next heal). At 25, that would be perfect timing to go get your mage pet focus items.

You can probably buy better armor at 30-35 in the bazaar for cheaper than the iksar armor quests costs (gems are expensive). However, those quests I find fun and fairly rare for people to complete. You'll be able to rock that armor until 50+ and getting either Velious or Hate armor.

10. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

What time do you usually play? I'll make a couple sets of banded armor for you for free.

11. Akreus

Akreus New Member

That would be great! My play time is sporadic lately, usually on weekends during the day 10am ish to 5 pm ish, EST tome zone. No worries if we can't meet up, I'm happy to keep farming away and hoarding loot until I can Bazaar some upgrades.

Side note: I had a typo in my previous post... Altoholic autocorrected to alcoholic. Gotta love autocorrect...

pharmakos likes this.
  12. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

"My name is Neea, and I am an Altoholic. "

PS I buy sensate reishi lenses ( for jewelry geerloks ) and belt of leathery fungus flesh ( fletching geerloks ) . These drop in Paludal Caverns. Also porous mineral block from Netherbian Lair ( for brewing geerlok )

13. Akreus

Akreus New Member

Hahaha. EQ always triggered my altoholism... Already thinking of my next 3 box once I get some plat.

Good to know about your purchase requests. Maybe I'll ditch Kurns sooner rather than later to go farm up some of that stuff. Getting tired of massacring skeletons anyways...

Neealana likes this.