New location for servers. Potential connection issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Deein

Deein Member

A problem that I'm having now that I wasnt before is random LD's / desyncs.

What is terrible about this server is the 1018. A login attempt should boot the character off the server instead of issuing a 1018 so that we can log back in due to desync / LD.

2. Hethan

Hethan New Member

a&tt here as well, no luck with my Hot spot either.

3. Hethan

Hethan New Member

i get on my wifi (house sat hughes net) i cannot log in so i refresh this exact post then i am able to log in....wierd no?

4. Hethan

Hethan New Member

Oh and i get the Error 1001: Could not connect to the EverQuest Server! Please try again shortly.

5. Akkadius

Akkadius Active Member

Hey guys - just to update - it's not so much the server itself as it is the datacenter.

I've narrowed the issue down with them and I will update you when I find out more.

Akk

6. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

not for me

7. Akkadius

Akkadius Active Member

Update to everyone: I've been working with the Datacenter folks - should be getting to a resolution sometime soon, waiting to hear back on escalation

The issue appears to be false triggers in a DDOS mitigation profile detecting malformed traffic on ports not recognized, this is why issuing a web request "fixes" the issue, the DDOS mitigation flags the source traffic as valid and user is able to pass through to the game server

The anti-DDOS mechanisms are in place to ensure smooth uninterrupted gameplay if we were to ever get hit by an attack

I am pushing hard for their NOC to make the profile change to accept EverQuest ports as normal traffic or I will make other measures necessary to provide a smooth experience for everyone

8. Deein

Deein Member

tell Jumbers to hurry up and fix this.

9. Bastette

Bastette Active Member

This analysis is fascinating. Please keep us updated!

(I'm a web developer, but don't do a whole lot on the networking side of things any more)

10. Akkadius

Akkadius Active Member

It appears we have resolved the issue that was causing intermittent issues of logging in and disconnects. We've created DDOS mitigation exemptions to the types of traffic that the EverQuest protocol operates to reduce false positives getting flagged and have confirmed the intermittent login/desync issue has been resolved. If any other issues persist, please seek your servers forums or Discord channel for help.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Bastette, Elrontaur, Rrio and 3 others like this.
  11. Jesse

Jesse New Member

yes I'm back in1!!! thank you very much

12. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Thank you for your efforts Akkadius, much appreciated

DubRemix88 likes this.
  13. Astuce999

Astuce999 New Member

This is awesome work, thank you very much.

14. Deein

Deein Member

While this might have fixed the login issue i am having a hard time staying connected to the game if we do an aoegroup.

lag bar goes from green to yellow to red to DC

15. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I can't log in. Now get error #2 instead.

16. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Some times it will take a few tries to connect, I know Tulu was trying to connect for a while last night. But he's on some kind of maple syrup based internet, and maybe he didn't feed the goats that power it?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Tuluvien likes this.
  17. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

If you are on a Mac, you can open Terminal (found in the /Applications/Utilities folder) and use the UNIX DIG command to see what IP the Login server DNS is giving you. Here's what I got on my Mac which is connecting just fine:

Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    ----
    If your DIG ANSWER SECTION response isn't matching the above, you need to figure out where your computer is getting DNS from and update the DNS cache on that device.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2017
  18. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

still experiencing this issue sporadically:

when logging in three characters in three eqw client windows - two characters log in fine through to char select screen, but third one will error
    the one char that errors will either receive an error 1001 could not connect to login server when i put in user/pass, or
    it will get through the login server okay, but when i click on takp at the server select screen it will load for a long time then exit back with error 1017 must run patcher
    both issues are resolved by simply trying to log in again

19. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

I am still unable to log in. Tried rebooting, resetting my modems, doing Pouky's cache resetting trick in terminal, and still no go.
    I can log onto the test server (I think? takproject.org is test right?) but i can't click on anything at the create/select character screen, (though the mouse can be moved around), and my keyboard doesn't work, other than the escape key. So I can log on to the test server, but not log in.
    Live server just hangs and I never get the EQ startup screen.
    Any suggestions? I'm not mac literate other than being able to copy commands into terminal.

20. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Mukk, in regard to the test server you would have to launch in full screen first time to get mouse control and make a character. After that you can log in in windowed.

As to the rest, sorry.

21. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Also, btw if anyone had ports forwarded to/from the old server IP make sure to change that rule to reflect the new IP. Might be responsible for some DC's. A lot of us put those rules into effect years ago when there were other connection issues.

22. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Type this into terminal and post your ANSWER SECTION IP address
    dig loginserver.takproject.net

If you aren't getting IP 142.44.176.134 that is your problem. I don't think the IP of the dev server changed so that would explain you being able to log in there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  23. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

Here's the answer section:

";; ANSWER SECTION:

loginserver.takproject.net. 300 IN A 142.44.176.134"

Seems to be using the correct IP.

24. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

all is working well for me. Can log in and don't have to change anything, just waited.

I am experiencing something weird since server migration though. If I leave my laptop long enough for screen saver to come on I LD. Happens without fail but never ever used to. I can't imagine how this could be connected to new server but thought I'd mention it.

25. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

This problem predated the issues Akkadius is talking about. Supposedly Haynar has something on the next patch that *might* fix it but no one knows yet.

lurari likes this.
  26. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Received a 1001 error this morning on first launch, but then immediately got in on the next attempt. Just fyi.

27. Elbartosan2023

Elbartosan2023 New Member

received the error 1017 at my first launch and i don't know how i can fix it can anyone help me please because i want to play eq online until 7am alone while online