New location for servers. Potential connection issues.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

If you get sisa errors or just can't connect, try a few things before climbing on the boards and getting frustrated :)

First try a reboot, after that flush any dns cache you may have.
    For PC open a command prompt and type
    Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    For OSX I suspect it is something similar but not sure of it offhand.

If those don't work try resetting the router then the PC/Mac again.
    Then after that hop on Discord, connection troubleshooting is easier done there in the peer_technical section.

2. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Reboot fixes it on Mac

3. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

Ipconfig /renew all produced an error message on my Windows 10 PC. Ipconfig /renew worked though.

Speedz likes this.
  4. pouky

pouky Active Member

didnt see the post here ,,

Anyway ,, for old macs that got issues login on can try this

Not sure this is what solved it for me , but after alot trying to log in and it not worked,, i tried these 2 commands to clear cache for DNS server ..
    first close all terminal windows ,, the windows pop up when u try log in toon ..
    then go to aplications, - tools - and open the terminal
    then type this
    --> sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
    it will ask ur pasword ..
    then also type this !!
    --> sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder

then ,, i tried log on still did not work, but .. after 5 minutes, no reboot or anything needed, i could log on ..
    did these commands do anything or not really, not sure,, but after a lil while i did, and few tries more , it did work

for another player , that tried em as well, it did work right after .. 1 minute ..

worth a try ..

5. pouky

pouky Active Member

on my PC just waiting 5 minutes and trying 5 times to log on got it fixed by itself ..

6. Hethan

Hethan New Member

None if this or waiting 15min worked for me I have a Window 10 PC; Core i7 Lenovo. Guess i'll see if it works again tomorrow. If not, back to P99 I go I guess.

7. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

Try to restart your router and then in a cmd window type what spee said: ipconfig /all.

8. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

No you wont.

P99 servers shut down tonight and will have a new ip too.

showstring likes this.
  9. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

the PC command should actually be
    ipconfig /flushdns

reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490921.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

note, you may need to run cmd prompt as administrator if you get errors about access denied

ipconfig /renew will just obtain you a new DHCP address, which won't work if you have a static IP
    ipconfig /all just lists your network settings, doesn't actually make any changes

if you flush the DNS and still can't connect, there could be DNS caching on your router, so a router reset might be required

Beaaden and Speedz like this.
  10. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Nice break down, thanks

11. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Please note I believe this will be the issue for any people who still can't connect:

Your home connection DNS settings will have a different Time to Live (TTL)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live

How name resolution works:
    Your PC will query your local cache -> if not found in cache it will query your router's DNS config which will query your external DNS server (most likely your ISP)

If your external DNS host has a long TTL configured, then it may cache things for up to 1 day (24 hours). This is common for legacy configuration.
    So you can refresh your local DNS cache to your hearts content, if the external location where it asks for the update DNS record is caching it for 24 hours, then your options are as follows:

1. Modify your eqhost.txt file to the IP address instead of DNS name
    replace loginserver.takproject.net with 142.44.176.134
    note: you may want to change this back to DNS name after a few days

2. Manually override the DNS settings by utilizing a HOSTS file on your PC
    142.44.176.134 loginserver.takproject.net
    note: you'd also want to remove this setting after a few days

instructions: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

note you'll need to "run as admin" for your text editing app to be able to modify the file because it's a system file
    also you'll probably want to run ipconfig /flushdns after adding the HOSTS file entry, and also closing and re-opening any browsers and/or the eq client

3. Change your external DNS configuration to something else, like maybe google's DNS servers on 8.8.8.8
    This will be difficult for those who have automatic router/cable config and have no admin interface into their networking hardware

4. Wait for 24 hours and see if your ISP updates the DNS record after the TTL expires. Note if there are multiple DNS servers in the chain then the combined TTL could be 48 hours or 72 hours and so on. (as each DNS server in the chain has a 24 hour wait time before it updates) Yes this is horrible, and yes I've witnessed it happen. In fact, this was quite common about a decade ago when updating DNS records - it was typically communicated to clients that DNS will take 2-3 days to update, so any business changes were done on a Friday night with expectation that it should start working again by Monday. Things seem to have gotten a lot better with a 5 minute TTL being more common these days.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Beaaden likes this.
  12. Hethan

Hethan New Member

I generally connect to my phone hot spot so there is no resetting a router. I am trying the ipconfig /flush now i'll post if that works.

13. Hethan

Hethan New Member

Hats off to you, showstring. Right click on start, select run, type in ipconfig /flushdns Guess i'll be seeing ya'll in game.

14. Hethan

Hethan New Member

Apparently I spoke to soon. As soon as it said logging in it hung up and said not responding and went back to login screen. I loaded up P99 and logged right in so not sure what is going on. i've tried all the ipconfig stuff suggested and even rebooted my house wifi and could not still connect. Guess i'm out of takp for awhile i have no clue what else to try. Have fun.

15. pouky

pouky Active Member

yeah same .. now i cant log on on my macs and not on my win 10 pc either
    tried everything lol ,, spose there is nothing other to do then wait and hope it fix itself in few days

16. Astuce999

Astuce999 New Member

In case it helps anyone; it wouldn't let me connect. Then I went to the forums to see if the server was down, and while having the forums up tried connecting again and it worked. Later that day had the same problem, and the exact same solution worked. I don't have the technical knowledge to claim there is a relationship; it just doesn't let me connect unless I have a browser up connected to the site.

cheers,

Astuce

17. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Remember, your home router isn't the only router on the path to our server. DNS replication begins at the source IP address for the DNS resolution and spreads outward. This will be especially apparent in different countries, where many many routers will need to be updated with the new DNS resolution path.

In English: you may need to wait for a lot of other hardware to update DNS before you can connect reliably to our new IP address on the server.

18. pouky

pouky Active Member

That worked for me as well Astuce999 ..
    tried 6 times, no connection, open website ,, and tried, first try worked, on my PC, and also on both my macs ..
    maybe coincidence ,, or not P

Tesadar likes this.
  19. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

So I didn't realize this was a coincidence until today. I've been spamming trying to log on several times. I tried poukys DNS flush yesterday and thought that was magic. Of course I had TAKP website up reading her post when I tried it and It worked. Today, just having the TAKP forum up has worked a couple times for me, this after spamming trying to connect. Hope this helps someone. I feel your pain!

Edit: just read your method asctuc99. So hopefully this helps a few peeps.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

If you continue having problems, in your eqhosts.txt file, change the entry under [Login Servers] to say: "142.44.176.134:6000" instead of "loginserver.takproject.net:6000"

Beaaden and sowislifesowislove like this.
  21. Hethan

Hethan New Member

non of this worked as of yet for me=(

22. Hethan

Hethan New Member

i've been able to log in on a few different local wifi's however i have yet been able to log in while connected to my iphone hot spot which i have always been able to do.

23. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

None of it worked for me EXCEPT having forum open in browser, seemed to clarify DNS. I changed eqhost, cleared cache, reset and reset and waited more than 24 hours. Only works with forum open.

showstring likes this.
  24. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

That's rather unusual that manually inputting IP address into eqhost.txt doesn't work. That means issues are not related to DNS and there may be some other network routing problems here.

I'm seeing some new issues in the last few days, which is kind of related to logging in, specifically I'm experiencing new issues when logging in characters, changing characters and zoning.

Sometimes one char sometimes takes significantly longer to zone.

Sometimes when I camp out a char I don't return to char select screen, but exit all the way to sever select screen.

Sometimes on the login screen I can log in two chars fine, but third one gets some kind of connectivity/login server error that gets resolved on subsequent login attempt (tried again second time and it worked fine).

Once I had a "you must run patcher" error when I clicked on TAKP on server select screen, resolved itself on subsequent attempt (tried again and it worked fine).

something unusual going on :\

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  25. Jesse

Jesse New Member

I also have an IPhone 7 as a hot spot and I cannot log on. I tried going to airplane mode to flush the DNS and changing the eqhost.txt file to the 142.44.176.134:6000 and still no luck.

26. Akkadius

Akkadius Active Member

Sounds like a lot of hotspot users having issues - I am investigating

27. Akkadius

Akkadius Active Member

Jesse - Are you using AT&T for your hotspot?

28. Beaaden

Beaaden Active Member

I changed my DNS to google servers for now.

This fixed my issue right away.

29. Jesse

Jesse New Member

Yes

30. thoran

thoran New Member

Didnt work for me a few minutes ago, refreshed the forums(this post actually) and tried immediately afterwards and it worked. I dont know what it means but thought I would mention it. I am on Spectrum/TW and I havent rebooted as of yet because I am lazy :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017