Just getting started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FoxSoMad, Jun 12, 2018.

1. FoxSoMad

FoxSoMad New Member

Hey guys so I'm just getting started here and was curious of what the best starting 3 box would be.
    I was considering

Mage/cleric/druid
    Mage/druid/enchater
    or something along those lines. Is this a good combo or are there better suggestions?
    thanks ahead for any advice =)

2. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Welcome! This is an often asked question. The often given answers are:
    1. Anything with cleric/enchanter works.
    2. Just play what you like!

Both of your listed options seem fine to me. 'Best' is impossible to say, since I don't know what you mean by it. I don't think there is a single best.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Even though Luclin hasn't launched, Beastlords are a thing. I didn't know that when I started and it probably would have affected my decision.

I ended up going cleric/enchanter/sk which is nice but also super generic. One of the things I really like about this server is how creative people can get with their trios. I wouldn't worry too much about what is "best", but just go for something that sounds interesting. You'll be surprised at how much you're able to accomplish with virtually any class combination.

4. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Along the lines of the theme you started with, I'd suggest these two options:

Mage / cleric / enchanter - if you like charming, this combo is probably best at it. Mage pet is great dps plus holds the enemy attention on charm breaks.

Mage / cleric / beastlord - more laid back. Two pets, all three can heal the pets, BL can also tank if geared appropriately. Beastlord also gives you a bit of melee flavor without truly relying on it.

Aegnor Eldruin likes this.
  5. Aegnor Eldruin

Aegnor Eldruin Member

I like Ransom's suggestions.

Mage / cleric / beastlord or druid / cleric / beastlord will be pretty laid back and effective. I went wiz / cleric / beastlord and often wish I'd have chosen one of those other two combos, since wizard doesn't really shine in group play in this era.

Lots of trios are viable though. Pick something interesting and give it a shot!

6. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

Also remember you can always switch it up later if you don't like how your first TRIO works out. I originally started Monk/Cleric/Wizard and swapped the wizard out for a shaman at L15. The leveling bonus active on this server means it's pretty easy to catch up.

7. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Cleric + Enchanter + <Insert favorite class here>.

Can't really go wrong with this. Though there are many many trios without a cleric or enchanter that can work out just great. Welcome to the server!

8. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

You can substitute druid for cleric as well if you prefer utility to specialization. But typically (heals) + (slows) + (something) in everquest will do just fine. Whether thats druid sham monk or cleric enc sk you will likely be fine with much of the content.

If you wish to push the limits and achieve the higher end of stuff do Sk (or pal) + cler + enc and charm well.

9. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

Enchanter is my favorite class as it's super fun, the class has a lot of depth, the utility is amazing, and it's just straight up powerful. Choose an enchanter and build your trio around that class.

10. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

all this wizard hate! it's a lovely class.

11. Aegnor Eldruin

Aegnor Eldruin Member

Wizard is a fine class, it's true! They're great on raids and a super duper easy toon to box.

But in Velious, their sustained dps just doesn't keep up for routine trio work. I generally parse my wizard as doing about 20% of the damage on Seb froggies while my beastlord does the rest.

I still love him though and am looking forward to Luclin/PoP era improvements!

12. Arune

Arune New Member

I played a wizard at one time (from the absolute beginning with no help) all the way to 52 then leveled a bard fresh. My bard I found so much more utility and honestly - it seemed to take skill to play it. There were only maybe 4 high level bards when started him so it was awesome to be number 5.

Now days however, wizards have more utility but on this server, I question the utility. I know Velious opens some new doors and Luclin even more - however past 60, I never found my wizard useful. Gate/portal/succor was his best tools - everything else seemed to always be available.

DPS is one thing but the long-term usefulness was always a question. Therefore, I ended up abandoning the wizard at 63 and played the bard through 100. By that time there were tons of bards and even bot’d ones - bleh. So I quit.

However, what I found is that it’s only as good as your investment. If you’re willing to invest 100% then you need to play a wizard. In that case, you will make him work no matter the situation. In my case, my heart is wasn’t in it - that was his downfall.

I recommend at the end of the day, play what feels best to you and don’t worry about what everyone else feels to be their preferred method or setup.