Howdy new player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rexas, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Rexas

Rexas Member

Played live years and years ago. Had tried the progression servers they are offering over on live now but just doesn't feel the same. Anyways I've decided on a Mage, Monk, Shaman as my box team and hope to see some of you out there in Norrath! :)

Videri-Tala likes this.
  2. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

best advice you'll hear all day: reroll monk to SK

Slayzz and lurari like this.
  3. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

He's not being pedantic either. Check out the monk in my sig I assure you I speak from experience. (You can also reroll bst for a leather tank with utility that slows and dps', bsts outtank monks bigly)

Slayzz and Videri-Tala like this.
  4. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

As I mention to all new peoples that make posts: I am also a long time returning player and I have a few XP groups I run that are different flavors. Anyone is welcome to bring their solo or double/trio boxes to join me. I am currently in two different places based on my teams:
    • Team 1: In Paludal caverns, level 15: SK/Bard/Ceric.
    • Team 2: In Oasis, Level 13-15: Nec/Dru/Enc.
    You're welcome to join either of my teams if you want to get some XP. :)
    In terms of what Rimi was suggesting...yeah SK's are great tanks - they have snare, they can FD pull, they have lots of nice procs and do well with snap aggro. Faults is right about the BST suggestion, too, they have some pretty great buffs also. But play whatever makes you happy and welcome!

5. Rexas

Rexas Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

The VP Robe tends to go to Casters.

The monk only Robe from Sleepers Tomb is far superior and rots often.

Monk tanks do fine if you have a slower. You will do better if you pair up with someone else though.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  7. Rexas

Rexas Member

Well I'm in no rush and I just started so I'm sure one day it can be obtained. It's just one of those nostalgia things I'm sure most can understand that. Anyhow thanks for the welcome all!

8. Rexas

Rexas Member

Well after thinking about it I went with warrior/monk/shaman
    I think I will miss magery and the funny tricks they can do but I suppose you guys know better than me about the tanking stuff.

I guess I'm easily swayed :p

Videri-Tala likes this.
  9. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Magicians (i.e. the robe-wearing finger-wigglers, not even their pets) tank better than monks here. Better aggro generation + better mitigation.

10. Rexas

Rexas Member

Yeah like I've said before the monk is for nostalgia reasons despite it being a subpar class here. Now if there is a way to have the monk just dps while mage pet tanks I could do that but I'm pretty sure in EQ a mob will always face a PC when being attacked by a pet too. I think you might be able to workaround this with root but I'm not sure how the mechanics of all this stuff works here.

Although I may be misreading your post and you are saying that Mage's themselves could tank better than monks? That doesn't sound right to me I played a monk main from 1999-2002 and even after we got hit with the nerf bat monks could still tank well just not better than warriors at the extremely high end with uber gear.

11. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Member

I'm new here too, but I'm guessing he's joking about the mage tank. I'm running a mid 20s trio of ranger, shaman, mage and I don't think my mage pet has been hit once while my ranger was in range, even when the not attacking. So if there is a way to get the pet to tank with a melee box, I have no clue how to do it.

Welcome to the server btw! The community is great here.

12. necra

necra People Like Me

Mages get better ac returns after soft cap on mitigation ac so in theory a mage and monk with same ac above softcap the mage would mitigate better however monks also get a lot more avoidance. Also monk gear and mage gear are very different so the monk will have higher hp and ac.

The ac code we have here monks are truly shafted though

13. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Just because you can melee doesn't mean you should be able to tank. There's a reason monks have FD and a reason rangers have gate.

Morbo likes this.
  14. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Cuz Science. Come raid

15. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Not joking about mage tanks. Besides having better returns from AC, magicians also get better AC from buffs, and wield shields. Monks do have higher avoidance, but in terms of mitigation, they're the worst class in the game – below casters.

Pets will never tank if there's another player within melee range; this was changed recently on EQLive––around 2016?––but it's basically long-standing and very classic EverQuest behavior that your enemies. Pets can tank if all players are out of melee range (ranger using a bow, for example).

16. Rexas

Rexas Member

Bah the micro managing of two melee characters I cannot handle. Swapping the warrior back to a mage as it's the only class I can think of that has very low APM and can support the monk with his pulling later on. Also I suppose he can tank too :p Now affording two casters spells...that is a different story altogether. Thanks to some fine folks in <Nehpilim> for assisting me in kurn's a week back.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  17. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

Don’t do that. Learn to pull mobs to where you war is and hit auto attach on him. Place shaman right next to war so mob doesn’t move when shaman pulls Agro on slow and such. Make a ralloz shaman for the clicky snare. Seems very low apm to me.