How to fix the RNG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fadetree, May 16, 2017.

1. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

We've all had our struggles with the severely streaky RNG that is used by EQ. The 10 whiffs in a row when fighting for your life, the brutal hours spent staring sadly at empty loot boxes over and over while A_n00b_01 tells you about how 'they got it in like 10 mins lolusuk'. The streakiness is produced by the fact that there are no actual random numbers being generated, just a complicated math equation being executed over and over to produce what are called 'psuedo-random' numbers. We have lived with this tyranny for 16 years. Well, no more. We can now use the power of the cosmos to upgrade to true stochastic quantum random goodness!
    https://phys.org/news/2017-05-stars-random-foundations-physics.html

Devs, make it happen.

2. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Interesting excerpt from book I'm reading: "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb

[​IMG]

3. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Your faction with the developers has gotten worse.

sowislifesowislove and lurari like this.
  4. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

lol, uh oh. What quest can I perform to raise it? Would you guys like some Muffins? Or maybe some Summoned Beer?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Bum likes this.
  5. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Don't worry about haynar, he's so kos to everyone he scowls at himself in the mirror ;)

6. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

This RNG thing was brought up before by Surron and he kept trying to get us to fix the RNG. and now this. lol

lurari likes this.
  7. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

@showstring - All jokes aside, yeah, randomness is a really interesting subject. It's impossible to prove that something is actually random, all you can say is that it had a normal distribution over a span of samples. There may not be any such thing as a truly random source. Drilling down to the most basic quantum level, you are looking at the universe itself popping things into and out of existence, and that's the most random I think we could get.

8. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

9. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

Yes.

10. Suriinya

Suriinya Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that if you add an input from a source of Brownian motion (such as a nice hot cup of tea or miso soup) it magically transforms the pseudo-random number generator into the Generator of Infinite Randomness which would of course solve all of these issues. Unfortunately you have to worship Eris Discordia to be able to use it properly

11. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

i thought it was called the Infinite Improbability Drive

Mokli and sowislifesowislove like this.
  12. Suriinya

Suriinya Well-Known Member

The two devices sound similar, but are actually quite different in use and creation.
    For the Infinite Improbability Drive, in addition to the source of Brownian motion, you need a finite improbability generator (not a pseudo-random number generator) and you have to calculate the exact improbability of such a device existing, and inputting that number into the finite improbability generator. If memory serves.

Mokli likes this.
  13. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

ah, yeah, that sounds accurate, its been awhile.

14. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

I do appreciate the work the devs do here - truly! - but I tend to agree with Fadetree that the power of the cosmos is a vastly underutilized resource here on TAKP. Anything we can do to get the stars more involved is a good thing.

15. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Pray to RNGsus

16. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

A lot of people really must care little about Haynar faction.

Mine is not repairable with beer.

Mokli, lurari and Ravenwing like this.
  17. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

or fun chicken memes

Mokli and lurari like this.
  18. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Well, it was just a joke, I think its pretty obvious I am not actually complaining. Right? Wait, let me check if I can still log on...

Peace.

19. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Haynar probably didn't even click the link, just saw "RNG" and his eye started twitching like a madman.

20. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

That was my take on it as well based on his reaction in dev chat.

lurari likes this.
  21. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I will not click on RNG links.

lurari likes this.
  22. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Guys,

Our RNG system is very flawed. As an actuary I have to deal with these type of problems on a daily basis. I've written a fix that would be easily implemented and summarized it here

I hope I wrote it easy enough for even Haynar to understand.

-Bum

23. tibbs

tibbs Member

^ When youtube adds ruin your rickroll