How does the Grimling infinity spawn work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Break, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Break

Break People Like Me

I've seen it mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen any details for the strategy. I actually partook in it once on Al'Kabor. Unfortunately, the lag on Al'Kabor was so ridiculous that I just faced a wall the entire time. It was also 7ish years ago.

I guess I'd start with: How does the spawn work? Are there just a ton of Grimlings stacked up in one spot? Do you need to do something to trigger them? Can I control the number of Grimlings I get on a pull?

Once I have my Grimlings, can I DS tank them with a low to medium geared plate wearing tank and a druid CH, or do I need a chanter to stun lock them and a wizard to nuke them down?

Feel free to add answers to questions I forgot to ask.

Thanks

2. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

yeah, they are all stacked on one spot. on a server reset, there's just 4 up i think. and each time you kill them they spawn with more, up to some cap. not sure what the cap number is.
    i don't think you can control the number you get.
    i have heard of people DS tanking them, i've only ever stunned n gunned.

Break likes this.
  3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

On AK you could AE tash a handful of mobs out of the pile. I haven't checked if that works here, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

4. Break

Break People Like Me

Thanks for the replies guys. That makes sense. Do you think a level 59 enchanter in crap gear could hold them stun locked long enough for a mage with the level 39 PBAE spell that does a max of 181 damage to take out a pile?

I guess it's worth a shot either way.

5. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

That should work fine, yeah. You might want a beefy toon or something with DA to aggro the pile and pull it to the enchanter to start. The chanter's mana should be fine and resists won't be an issue. The mage would take a while to kill the pile, though; the grimlings do regen fairly quickly while stunlocked. Making friends with another PBAE nuker would speed things up.

Break likes this.
  6. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

On AK, my cleric would use Stun Command ( stuns 4 mobs, who then run to you ). She was too much of a coward to agro the whole pile ! She was also tucked into the corner, and had to use F9 to see ( and target ) a mob.

7. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Unless something changed, that's how they work on TAKP too.

Break likes this.
  8. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

What level are the Grimlings?

9. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Allaclone says 35-39.

10. Mechaike

Mechaike Well-Known Member

I've recently used a targeted ae spell (both ae snare and/or a quad spell) to peel four grimlings out of the pile at a time and damage them down from there to PL a grouped alt. You could also stun/pbae the entire pile at once. Use whatever tactics work for your team.

For me it was easiest to use a well geared L60 druid pulling and tanking, PLing a melee in group from 40+. Obviously much slower than stun/ae the entire pile, but it was steady, reliable, and easy to afk.

Keep in mind that a ton of mana havers get at least one targeted ae (mage has L12 column of fire, for example) so you can adapt this idea to a wide range of characters.

Break likes this.
  11. Break

Break People Like Me

I have given this quite a few tries since my previous post.

I came to the conclusion that the level 39 PB AE for a magician will probably not cut it. I think the length of the spell refresh and my mana pool both contributed to this. I was not able to get the pile below 90% on any of my multiple attempts. I first practiced the strategy on two random Grimling miners that went down easily, so the infinity spawn mobs definitely have much higher regen and maybe higher hitpoints than the normal miners.

My crew consisted of a level 40 magician casting his level 39 PB AE, a level 40 bard playing his level 18 PB AE with an immaculate shell horn (also tried just mana song), and a level 59 enchanter who had zero FT, a horse, and Protection of the Cabbage to go with self buffs. I was able to keep the pile stun locked for a couple of minutes using the three highest level color line spells, but it took quite a few deaths to figure out how to stun the mobs without getting insta killed.

It turns out that the corner to the pile is over 35 units (which is the reach of Color Slant). If I stepped more than a couple of body widths out of the corner before casting, the whole pile charged straight at me. It seemed best to slowly work my way out and test cast until I saw the stun messages. Then I would position myself a bit closer for the lower range stuns and turn towards the corner.

I plan to try this with a level 56 magician and the bard next. Looking at her TAKP Magelo mana, the damage done by scintillation, and the mana cost, I think I should be able to pull it off. I'll also be able to cast Protection of the Cabbage and the 50+ enchanter mana buffs on her for some added help.

Sketchy likes this.