Help with spell fizzles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OuterChimp, Feb 14, 2023.

Tags:
  1. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

Alright folks. It’s been a little while since I’ve played and I’m trying to get back into it.

My “main” so far is a 45 SK. I did the regular leveling up and now I’m well behind on my spell skills. I’ve been hanging out in the EFP tunnel doing my spell work but want to get some guidance.

I am lucky and able to run a takp window behind my work stuff while I’m at work. I stand up the SK and fizzle out a ton of FDs and Invis’s but gosh, the spell leveling is slow. I can still burn a whole set of mana and not get off a FD or even an Invis.

Question I have, is there a better way to level up spell skills? I know you can drop some level up research points, but not sure if there is a better way than to just mash the number 5 or 6 (which is where I have FD and invis mapped to) then sit, do some regular work and then pop on, stand up, mash my buttons till no mana, then sit.

Is there anything else I can be doing?

Thanks!

2. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Raising spell skills is one of the exceptions allowed to be automated. Just hold the key down. If you're using the windows client then holding it down doesn't work as well, but you can use a macro, a programmable keyboard/mouse, etc.

If you're using the windows client, to get you started with some ideas.. you can use the hotkeynet.exe program that comes with TAKP (in the same directory as eqgame.exe)

Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    Basically it just keeps pusing the '1' key over and over. left control + F10 turns on the repeat, right control + F10 to start looping. A million variations of this are possible I just made this up so you have a way of stopping it.

Or you can use the AutoHotKey program and do something like this

Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    This one you start with alt+ctrl+shift+A and you stop it by holding down F1 for a few seconds.

I'm sure there are a lot of other things, and most gamer mice/keyboards have their own program that can record and replay macros. It's against the rules to automate play, including tradeskills, buffing, basically anything other than this, but spell practice is allowed. You can find a bard singing regen song and an enchanter for KEI, usually people leave a bard in freeport by the pok book for this.

3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Pump your INT and chain cast a low-level spell with low mana cost and fast recast timer.

For example, to raise Divination on an SK, I'd use Locate Corpse (5 mana, 3 sec recast) instead of Gather Shadows (35 mana).

The TAKP Spell Guide lists the mana cost and casting skill for each spell. Look it over and find good skillup spells.

RichardCox, Cadsuane and pivoo like this.
  4. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

One more thing, once you rise them to higher level, one way to keep skilling them up during the game is, assuming you have a macro for your few most frequent spells, as last line, last cast, add some spell from lvl 1-4 that you want to rise and will not interfere with your game. I don't play Sk, but for example, whenever I cast nuke on my necro, I also cast automatically lowest level shield. Yes shield goes right to mob but gets rejected anyway. So this way, through your regular game-play, you can also slowly rise skills you are using less often.

5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I was going to link my thread but Rimidal already did in his first link!

That post I included the lowest mana cost spell for every class and every spell school. Also the pause you need to make a hotkey that casts all 5 spell schools with a single button.

A few nights of doing that while near an AFK Chorus bard generally is enough to max or if not get to a workable skill level and prevent chain fizzling.

Dairmuid, RichardCox and showstring like this.
  7. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

LOL. A post of mine from 7 years ago complaining about my BL fizzling invis. Still not max divination today, still fizzling.

Jalir_D, Palarran, RichardCox and 2 others like this.
  8. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

Going from low teens in the skill to max can take about 3-5 days to max all spellcasting. That is running 24 hours nonstop. It's a long process, but so nice when it is completed.

9. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

This is why I got a set of +Wisdom gear, makes things like this go a little bit quicker (along with tradeskills).
    If you're a hybrid then maxing WIS is easier than INT I believe.
    If you got access to a bard, playing the level 44 +int/wis song helps. https://lucy.alkabor.com/spell_745.html

For reference, here are the items I use and swap around my chars if I'm doing skillups or tradeskills.
    Othmir Prexus Totem +18wis
    Bracelet of Sense +15wis
    Tobrin's Mystical Eyepatch +15wis
    Emerald Dragonscale Tunic +20wis
    Golden Efreeti Boots +9wis
    Lodizal Shell Shield +10wis
    Glittering Ring of Judgment +20wis per ring (a bit difficult to acquire, I had to farm the mats myself), otherwise Plat/Velium Jasper Ring +6/7 wis
    Shissar Battlehammer +5wis
    Charred Guardian Shield +9wis

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    JarekStorm, Neealana, Break and 2 others like this.
  10. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Yay, this is so useful list, thank you for sharing! (my to-do, to-get list just become longer) :D

11. Domni

Domni Member

The hotkeynet code you provided didn't quite work for me. The loop did, but it wasn't successfully pressing the 1 key. The following seems to work however:

<Hotkey F1>
    <Toggle>
    <SetVar spamkey on>
    <Toggle>
    <SetVar spamkey off>

<Hotkey F2>
    <SendWin Client4>
    <Key 1>
    <If spamkey Is on>
    <Wait 3000>
    <DoHotKey Hotkey F2>
    <else>
    <endif>

pivoo likes this.
  12. solar

Nice, glad you figured it out!

13. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

Okay folks. I'm going to try to play around with this a little bit today. I'll let you know how it goes and likely have more questions for you all.

14. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

Alright guys. I notice some folks are posting some "code" looking stuff, but that is a little too much to put in a macro. What program does that for a PC?

Oh. hotkey.net? Looks like I may have downloaded it when i downloaded takp? I'll look around for it.

15. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

OKay guys and gals, where do i find scripts? What kind of file are they. I'm watching the tutorial and it says load the script, but is the script file just a .txt file?\

16. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

17. Domni

Domni Member

Use Notepad for code/scripting text. Open hotkeynet.exe in your TAKP folder. On the bottom left, click "Load Script" and select your Notepad text file. The following script works great for spell skill ups on a trio:

<Hotkey F1>
    <Toggle>
    <SetVar spamkey on>
    <Toggle>
    <SetVar spamkey off>

<Hotkey F2>
    <SendWin Client1>
    <Key 1>
    <Wait 100>
    <SendWin Client2>
    <Key 1>
    <Wait 100>
    <SendWin Client3>
    <Key 1>
    <Wait 100>
    <If spamkey Is on>
    <DoHotKey Hotkey F2>
    <else>
    <endif>

Press F1 then F2. The script keeps pressing 1 in each client window (1, 2, 3) while the loop is running (toggle loop on/off with F1). If desired, you can change the window (client) names, delete a window entirely, or change the wait time for each step.

Jalir_D likes this.
  18. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

So i had the SK in the EFP tunnel yesterday afternoon and got her divination skill up to 200something. A bard singing mana song was awesome and it makes sense now.

I'm going to work her skills up and then the rest of my main trio and hopefully get back into playing takp again soon.

19. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

Looking at this list, taking notes for things to help my ogre beastlord get casting skills up, I also thought of Lodizal Shell Shield, which is +10wis, back slot wearable.

pivoo likes this.
  20. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

yeah forgot to include that one, since I got so many to swap around it didn't immediately pop out in the bank storage

definitely lodi shield goodness, i'll update the list

21. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

Pardon my never ending EQ ignorance, but does +wis work better for skill ups even on an Int caster?

22. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

I'm pretty sure whichever stat is higher gets calculated, but i could be wrong.

23. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

A few tradeskills are supposed to have secondary stats that are used for skillups if they're higher than int or wis. Smithing and STR, fletching and DEX, poison making and DEX are the only three according to at least one SOE dev.

https://www.eqtraders.com/articles/article_page.php?article=g256

Tradeskills don't really help with spell fizzles, but it might give you more confidence in the game's ability to be flexible enough to use whichever stat is appropriate at the time.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  24. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

Leveling up your casting skills, is what low level spells are for. I remember my ranger on live having trouble with Stinging Swarm fizzling, when he finally got it, because he hadn't been practicing conjuring along the way. I ended up having to burn off a lot of mana casting Dance of the Fireflies to get the skill up to where I could cast Stinging Swarm without fizzles. Classes that get summon food and summon water, will typically spam cast those until conjuring is maxed out. Every spell discipline has a low level spell that you can practice on to get the skill up so you can use the higher level spells.

My understanding has always been that your DEX can help with fizzles. Getting a DEX buff before you start practicing a casting skill, might help you to level it up faster.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  25. solar

This is true only for bards and you don't need to keep 'casting' the song to get skill ups once it's on auto repeat mode.

Hoodlum likes this.