Classic game conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DubRemix88, Mar 2, 2023.

1. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

This reminded me of an old, in game urban legend, from noobie days on tholluxe paells. I'll list the ones I remember below, curious to hear others, since I'm sure some never crossed servers.

I remember killing scruffy and tovax vmar a lot, as a noob in classic. The rumor was he'd only spawn if Scruffy was killed in PM hours, I have no idea if there's any truth to that, but I definitely believed it as a kid.

Spawning the undead tainted gorilla in EJ. the rumor was you had to down all the gorillas at the top of the stairs to get the correct spawn. Definitely worked for me, but probably because all those gorillas are placeholders, and by the time you can get em all down, you're due for a pop.

Spawning Lord Elgnub in blackburrow. Lorg Elgnub's spawn rate on this server seems really high. I remember the pit being a popular camp, and someone suggesting that he'd only spawn if all the giant snakes (including outside of the pit) were dead. I think what was going on, was folks not realizing that his placeholder repopped faster, if you didnt kill it. Probably getting their spawn while was busy killing snakes, and not the ph.

Fake vs real tainted barracuda in LoIO. The rumor was, that a tainted barracuda that you could pull out of water would be a corrupted placeholder, but if it wouldn't go on land, it was a fake ... or was it the opposite of that? I want to say this worked (at least that some fish left the water, others didnt), but since i could look up spawn locations on here, I didn't even think about when i was doing that quest.

2. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I remember people saying there was a sea dragon in dagnor's cauldron in classic. I don't remember much of the details, but they eventually added it as an epic 2.0 mob iirc.

3. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

that barracuda one is real. I remember doing my druid epic on live and being thrilled when i pulled him to the shore and he followed me because it meant my camp was finally over

pakman and DubRemix88 like this.
  4. green_grocer

green_grocer Member

There used to be an ancient post on eqtraders about a secret baking recipe that nobody ever figured out.

I spent years trying to combine things that I thought might make sense.

I like to believe that this recipe is still out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered.

DubRemix88 likes this.
  5. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Just put scruffy in a blender.

DubRemix88 likes this.
  6. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

FB_IMG_1677821695484.jpg

DubRemix88 likes this.
  7. numinari

numinari Member

Poor scruffy is the best newbie mob in game. I think he's just some ones pet.

8. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

Harmony improved mana regen. Drinking booze improved mana regen - although in a way I guess it does. If you reduce your int/wis and mana pool, the blue bar will fill up faster!

Also, someone once tried to tell me paladins were a strong class, but really anyone could see right through that.

DubRemix88 and Devour_Souls like this.
  9. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Standing on an NPC's spawn point prevents it from spawning. This was used a lot for Hadden when really no one really understood his spawn mechanic at the beginning.

pharmakos and actualspaide like this.
  10. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

I remember being told that if you loot a npc corpse by clicking on its left foot you get more gold.

11. Radda

Radda People Like Me

in one of the manuals, trilogy maybe, it said to be sure to hurry back to the corpse or a goblin creature might take/eat/loot your corpse.

12. Palarran

Palarran Well-Known Member

13. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I want that hat almost as much as I want the Othmir Fez one.

DubRemix88 and Palarran like this.
  14. Masmacho

Masmacho New Member

Brodder's Revenge. I believe it was a brewing recipe for a bloody Mary. The hang-up was the hot sauce. Nobody could figure it out.

15. pakman

pakman Well-Known Member

This guy has some humorous videos on this topic.

jintle and CTroi like this.
  16. Break

Break People Like Me

1. That there was an undiscovered quest in the deep that would grant an item that would let you see the invisible bridge.
    2. The anti-camp radius mumbo jumbo. I think it was that named mobs won't pop unless you leave the area, but there were variations like they only drop certain loot if no one is inside the radius. My guess is that it started very early in EQ in from players killing wandering mobs in newbie zones and the fact that they respawned in other areas.
    3. Looting mobs would make new mobs pop more quickly.

I'm sure there are others.

Cadsuane likes this.
  17. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I believe this quest is active. It makes the NPC walk the bridge and drop torch markers, or something
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8203

Pithy and Break like this.
  18. pakman

pakman Well-Known Member

Wonder when that got implemented. Can't say I'm surprised they decided to make it easier at some point. :rolleyes:

19. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

deepspores drop on this server, i was unaware of the quest until i looted one and wanted to know what it was for.