PoSky Thunder Spirits/Theft of Thought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darchon, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

So all of these fairy mobs on Island 1 in PoSky can be Theft of Thought'd (IE it doesnt' give a fail response because the target has no mana), however every time its cast the spell returns 0 mana, indicating the mob has 0 mana.

They all proc the enchanter spell Choke apparently (I honestly don't recall this but maybe it was a thing), however they don't appear to cast any spells. Are they flagged some caster class but have 0 mana?

Not a big issue but something that baffled me for awhile. I think this is the first time I've come across a mob on this server that I am allowed to cast Theft of Thought on, which yields 0 mana in return.

2. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Interesting. Theft of Thought should require its target to have a mana pool, but should yield its full return even if its target's current mana is zero. The behavior you're describing sounds like it reflects a 2005 patch:
    • Theft of Thought will no longer return only partial mana from NPCs over level 52. In addition, the spell was changed so that it will only return as much mana as the NPC has if that is less than the amount that the spell is trying to steal. So it will steal 400 mana from an NPC that has 1000 mana, but it will only steal 100 mana from a NPC that has 100 mana.*
    As a side note, the partial returns from 52+ NPCs - which I remember from my Kunark and Velious days as an enchanter on EQLive - didn't seem to be a thing on Al'Kabor. I never tested it myself, but Cromis and Gnostica, at the very least, put the ToT-proc weapons from VT to work frequently, and Cromis had this to say about the wis-caster version:

3. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Just added Dark Mace of Thought to my wish list....

surron likes this.
  4. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

not sure what can be done here as far as database goes. Thunder spirits are bard class (according to our ak capture) and according to the post here made in 2002, they do proc choke spell:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=3510#m102269068888706

5. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

I think this fits more into the general section so I'm gonna move this to general. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

NPCs commonly have innate/contact procs that don't require mana or any resource and don't have cooldowns. It's just a basic feature of the game.

7. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

I think the issue here is that ToT casts on bard NPCs but doesn't return any mana. Presumably, it should either not cast, or it should return mana as normal.

8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I agree. I was mostly commenting on the fact that Theft of Thought passes the "should I be able to target this creature" check, yet still returns 0 Mana.