Hands down easiest Enchanter charming trio to play?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pivoo, Nov 14, 2022.

1. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

There are lots of enchanter charming trios in these threads, I'm reading through several of them, but there is such information overload and sometimes conflicting information, that I though to try to consolidate all this information by creating this thread. I'm looking for easiest and safest to play enchanter charming trio. Say, clumsy player prof charming trio lol For charming in PoP and being able to get few named, ornate patterns farming, etc...

Good combinations from reading other posts:

enc-clr-dru
    enc-clr-brd
    enc-clr-pal
    enc-dru-mag

I played from 50-55 ENC-CLR-BRD. Bard's auto mez does help this clumsy player to die less often. Although I still die quite a lot lol. Is this simplest, easiest, safest trio to play or are some other combinations better? Maybe ENC-CLR-DRU? And this question is meant only for charming. I have druid if I need a port. I have cleric if I need a rez. I have magician if I need pet's toys etc... Just, what is hands down easiest charming trio to play.

Maybe we can settle this once and for all :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  2. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

If you're clumsy, or suck. Do not charm, will be equal in XP gain from killing mobs and killing yourself.

But most clumsy proof is Ench/(Clr or Dru)/Bard, simply cus you can mez your own charm. But it does require to play with someone to tank for you, because most ornate dropping mobs will summon and when charm breaks then you are dead. Cleric is better for three boxing only, Druid is better when grouped cus you can also snare your own charm.

But I prefer Ranger/Clr/Ench. Ranger covers druid snare, and can be a shitty tank. I have done BoT wing bosses with my ranger when he was shit geared, but that was with a well geared cleric to burn through mana healing.

DubRemix88 and pivoo like this.
  3. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

whoaaaaaa homie. You left out the best dungeon trio there is. Enc/clr/ranger. As me mentioned by Auyster. Ranger is super fun. Can tank well with enchanter slow and has tons of utility. Where he will eventually fail is trying to tank some big baddies, but otherwise in my experience ranger makes a great tank. But once you get aa you get to play a whole new dps class essentially, switching to archery and seeing that big bow damage.

pivoo likes this.
  4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Pal/Enc/Dru is best. Got your snare, double charming (if you feel so brave), can stun pets with Pal until recharmed, indoor/outdoor lulls, group heals, ports (evacs), etc. And with those 90% rezzes, you'll learn to get better faster because deaths will hurt a little more. Its called negative re-enforcement and it works.

Plus, if you get bored of charming, you have a standard group makeup and you can just add a 4th.

Hoodlum, Sycamore, DubRemix88 and 3 others like this.
  5. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you all for all replies! So, it seems like with bard is the simplest trio. I do have few other questions.

In case of charm break when attacking named that summon, which of the two Paladin or Ranger trio would have better chance of surviving? Or neither, because mob will summon enchanter?

Is this alongside charming, I mean while charming, or in some other play situations? Also, Ranger is preferred on Mac machines because you can use auto-fire. If you can't use auto-fire, and for charming purposes, is ranger still that good of a choice? Or is in that case Paladin better?

6. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

LOL LOL LOL so true, but I will give it a try anyway. Sometimes you just feel like your heart blood pressure may be too low, and charming is just perfect remedy for this in my opinion. :D

giantfortt and Neealana like this.
  7. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Yea, guess I should clarify, when I was playing ranger it was always just normal tanking, no bow. You can also use a charm pet to tank some big baddies and then ranger as support and DPS. But for some reason i read your original post as enc/clr combo. I would +1 Mokli's comment about Pal/ench/dru, very powerful there and would actually consider going back to that instead of ranger had i known better back in the day. But ranger is very fun none the less, bow, track, sow, the best snap aggro abilities of any tanky type toon.

pivoo likes this.
  8. Snoochi

Snoochi New Member

At 65 paladin gets a fast casting low-duration root that is clutch for charm breaks, I use it religiously and it works wonders. Paladin/Dru/Enc is a great trio and you can pull off some things other trios could only dream of.

pivoo likes this.
  9. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

Don’t count rangers out completely for killing challenging named. I let the pet tank as much as possible but I cast enough to put the ranger between the tanking pet and the enchanter for being summoned. If that happens I just hit weaponshield and try to get the pet back onto the mob and blur it before WS runs out. The ranger can easily generate the right amount of hate and needs zero heals while disc is running.

pivoo and Break like this.
  10. Maelin

Maelin Member

I'm running Bst / Dru / Ench and I have Pal / Dru / Ench envy when trying to tank stronger mobs like BoT bosses. Whats underrated about Dru / Ench as opposed to the Cleric variant is that it opens up some interesting kiting in areas where stuff is just too strong to tank (like Castle 2 in PoFire). Can just aggro kite on enchanter and let the charm pet kill them. Soulfire has a nice video of this on youtube.

As far as exping goes, I find it's a lot easier to find any ol' AFK mezbard to add as a 4th than a strong, geared, AA'd tank as a 4th.

pivoo likes this.
  11. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

To add the flexibility to AFK more freely I’d say Cler/Enc/Bard.

To add the most safety while fighting and a charm break occurs Cler/Enc/Knight. The caveat here is that your knight needs very good gear.

Having a raid geared knight to tank whatever you pulled to camp, cleric to sound of might stun the pet, and chanter to re-Tash and charm on breaks is super useful. However in the top combo you still have the mob you’re fighting on your enchanter while your pet is mezzed for 18 seconds.

Cler/Enc/Knight is the strongest all around combination on the server you can run. Even in areas without charm it is quite strong. When you can charm it’s leagues ahead of everything else.

John Stark and pivoo like this.
  12. layonhands

layonhands Active Member

Enc / Enc / Cleric

pivoo likes this.
  13. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

I'm glad I posted this question. I already charmed several levels in 50's with ENC-CLR-BRD. Now I will alternate between this one and ENC-DRU-PAL and see what I like better. I have paladin(51) at similar level than enchanter(55) and I did plan to have plate tank also, so all this fit in perfect. Druid is already 65, but I can heal/snare while outside the group for other two, to get better XP for a while.

As new at charming and relatively new in this game, didn't play it before like most of you, I have few very beginner questions.

With this trio: ENC-CLR-BRD idea is, bard catches the most dangerous mob (your pet) with auto-mez. If mob that was being attacked was rooted at charm break, situation is usually easy.

I'm trying to figure out, how to play ENC-DRU-PAL. Here Paladin takes care of attacking mob. Loose pet charge after enchanter. But both, attacking mob and 'former' pet need to be snared. So while most dangerous mob is after enchanter, enchanter with SoE should have no problems avoiding snared pet until it is charmed again. In the mean time paladin is tanking the mob. Is this correct?

So at charm break I will need to move enchanter first and start re-charming sequence? I will not have time for Paladin and his roots and stuns, right?

Or maybe quick stun and root on paladin to keep attacking mob frozen, (especially paladin without gear) and then start moving enchanter away from 'former' pet until it is re-charmed?

What are proper, best steps when charm breaks?

My guess is, you probably need to be a better player for this one. I would miss a safety net of druid snare. And I don't have any gear, so this combination is not an option for me at this point. But good info, thanks!

Good to know, thanks! I looked it up, Shackles of Tunare, 2.25s cast speed. Nice! Can this time be further reduced with AA's? Which one you root, former pet, attacking mob or both?

Great idea! And thanks for Sloufire video, will watch it next!

He-he-he. Not the simplest one to play, and probably not safest either and surely not for this clumsy player. But I bet, great player can wreck many places with this combination! :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  14. Snoochi

Snoochi New Member

Shackles of Tunare is 0.75s cast, it's near instant.

I use it for quick CC if I pull multiples, rooting the pet if it breaks, quick snapping aggro if enc is getting hit. etc tons of possibilities.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    pivoo likes this.
  15. Nafse

Nafse Well-Known Member

It might not be ideal, but my ranger/shaman/enchanter trio is good enough to farm BoT for ornate legs.

pivoo likes this.
  16. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

My main go to is ENC-CLR-BRD.

Availability to afk whenever with the bard, be able to get up and go to the bathroom during long exp sessions, etc.

Cleric tank / agro is easy, 3 stuns and you can tash / slow without the chanter pulling agro.

Granted, you need some defensive AA investment and some gearing into your cleric for the tanking viability, but when you get there, it's just a nonstop chain of pulls with little to no downtime.

pivoo, Maelin and Cadsuane like this.
  17. tomgggg

tomgggg Member

Snare is second only to bard auto mez when it comes to controlling breaks in my opinion.

My main trio is Bst/Ench/Cler and I use cleric stuns to control the breaks. With this trio I give my pet weapons but not haste, as my enchanter inevitably takes some hits. All three toons have raid gear.

On the flip side when I put my Druid in place of the cleric I weapon and haste the charm pet, and my Druid has bazaar gear for comparison.

Snare kiting a charm break to get it under control is WAY easier in my opinion.

I am with Mokli, the most foolproof yet powerful trio would be a knight/ench/dru combo.

pivoo likes this.
  18. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

If "easiest" is the criterion, then the winning trio definitely has a bard. Nothing compares to automez on the pet.

Even without automez, I really like BRD/(CLR or DRU)/ENC. Bard pulls, HoS/slows everything, and does a point of damage with bellow. Chanter just sics pet. Pet tanks, healer CHs pet. On breaks, the mob goes after the bard since no one else has any aggro to speak of. The trio has all the usual recharm tools: mezzes, stuns, roots, snare (if DRU healer), etc.

pivoo, John Stark and Frosst like this.
  19. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Cleric would have aggro if its healing the pet.

pivoo likes this.
  20. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Healing a pet results in 0 aggro. This is AKurate.

pivoo likes this.
  21. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Chain casting DI more efficient on mana, just will cost you.

pivoo and John Stark like this.
  22. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Than you everyone, I have pretty good picture now. For paladin and cleric, you need defensive AA's and some gear to tank, then they get really useful. Which means, it is not an option for me at this time.

So, speaking of charming trio with bard, I treasure druid's snare and potential escape way more, than better healing from cleric. I will just have to cast CH2 more often. :D For this reason, I will charm with ENC/DRU/BRD.

I've learned a toon!

Like this one. Didn't have a clue. Super useful, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  23. Break

Break People Like Me

You can tank with bards too. You can't do really high end stuff, but leveling up they have no issues taking hits. They just have terrible aggro management. Charming a mob and then letting charm break is about the only reliable way for a bard to get good aggro on a mob.

If you want to ensure that your enchanter does not take aggro when the pet breaks, I guess you have two options. You can hand your pet a Di`zok Oracle Shillelagh, and let it do your slowing for you. You could also do the slowing and memblur the mob as soon as slow lands. The pet and bard should still grab aggro in that scenario.

Pithy likes this.
  24. tomgggg

tomgggg Member

Slow proc stick rules. Chardok is pretty good exp 55-60 too.

25. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Slow stick I think should be flagged no pet? That and weighted axe got flagged no pet early on due to how easy they are to obtain and how strong they are for pets to wield.

26. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

This is the first i've heard about a "no pet" flag. What other items have that?

Break likes this.
  27. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

probably all items with "no drop" flag on them, seems simple enough

28. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

I recall very early on in Kunark, Weighted Axe got flagged as not usable by pets. I don't recall any other items, but I'm sure the patch notes are out there somewhere.

29. tomgggg

tomgggg Member

Noooo don’t take my slow stick from me :(

30. Break

Break People Like Me

Slow stick was definitely pet useable on AK.