Exp differential worries? + 3box question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaruden, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Jaruden

Jaruden Member

Hullo, new player here! I never boxed much back in the day, so I'm trying out a DRU/BST duo. So far it's going pretty well (just hit 22/20).

My DRU is a halfling (exp boost? at least no penalty), but my BST is an iksar (major penalty). The druid has already pushed 2 full levels past the beastlord. Is this something I should periodically "clean up" and let the BST catch up in levels? Or not a big deal? I noticed the other day while exping in Paludal that as soon as the mobs went light blue to the druid, but still blue to the BST, the exp seemed to slow down.

I debated adding a 3rd, but figured I'd get my feet wet into boxing first with a duo. Were I to add a third, would it really change much about what I could manage to complete in game? I figured wizard would be easiest, but seems to overlap a lot with druid (ports). Maybe mage? Necro? If it's worth doing, I'd obviously like to start trioing sooner rather than later, but if it's really not going to make a difference in what camps I can do / items I can acquire, seems like a bit of extra hassle.

2. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

The best three boxes you can add to that duo is bard, enchanter or mage. Mage is the simplest and most straightforward nuke - send pet - coth when needed. Enchanter has depth I won't bother to write out - bards will turn that duo into an efficient dragon killing machine. Don't worry about the exp gap.

3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Welcome! Yes some races have modifiers. It can be a pain honestly. I remember an Iksar Necro/Halfling Druid duo and they ended up a few levels apart at the top end. They ended up doing a combination of deleveling the halfing or xping soloing on the Iksar to balance them. With the extra xp bonus in a group of 4 instead of 3, it may not be that big of a deal though to just try to find a 3 box group to join occasionally.

https://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Experience_Points#Class_Experience_Modifiers

4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Hey, welcome. I'm currently playing around with an iksar monk and a halfling druid, so I feel you on the exp thing. I've thought about periodically dropping the halfling from the group to focus exp on the iksar, but so far I haven't bothered. Exp naturally balances out to an extent as mobs become light blue/green to the halfling.

You don't sound super excited about three-boxing, so I'd say if you're having fun on the duo, stick with it. You have a druid; it'll be easy to PL a third later if you want. FWIW, though, I agree with @Faults on good third classes: enc, mage or bard. Enc has the highest ceiling because charm is OP. Bards are quirky and fun, but pretty demanding in terms of attention and skill. Mage would double your kill rate just by hitting one "assist, stand, sic pet, nuke, sit" hotkey per fight.

5. Jaruden

Jaruden Member

Bard, eh? I really have no idea how they work. Can you box them decently? I kind of assumed they were just for people with 7 fingers or something =P

6. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

there is no exp penalty once youre max level and have 100% of exp going into AA, so its just going to be an issue at lower levels