Do we have a cross platform developer? Mac Swift/obj-c and C#

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Looking for someone that we can vette and verify that I can pass the code for the cross platform launcher to. When I pass, I don't want to leave ya all without any means to update or make it better. This launcher is my noob attempt at a cross platform functional launcher so I am quite certain someone can improve it exponentially. Please reply here with experience and anything relevant. I don't want to just toss it to anyone :) Also would be helpful to have a github account.

Mechaike and Baler like this.
  2. Jaruden

Jaruden Member

I've got a long history with C#. A much shorter history with Swift (mostly iOS work). Pretty much no direct MacOS experience.

Happy to take a look.

3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Put me in coach.

I don't know the langs but neither did you! :D

Speedz, Cadsuane and Ripwind like this.
  4. Speedz

Thats why I didn't make it open source yet. It works but I am sure the code is embarrassing lol
    The worst part of it is the GUI engine to make it crossplatform. I'd love to find something...uh less messy to interact with.

5. Jaruden

Jaruden Member

Not sure what you're using so far, the main C# options at the moment seem to be...

Xamarin - I think it's on the way out. Supports MacOS and Windows, but I don't believe Linux.
    .NET MAUI - The new thing replacing Xamarin, supposed to be the holy grail for this. Was supposed to also support Linux, but I'm pretty sure they dropped it at the last minute (in the past couple months). This is due out sometime in H1 2022.
    UNO - Supports Win/Mac/Linux. XAML focused UI development. Looks like Linux/MacOS support is via WebAssembly somehow. Based on UWP. https://platform.uno/
    Avalonia - Same idea, but based off WPF. https://avaloniaui.net/

Here's a decent comparison article: https://github.com/robloo/PublicDocs/blob/master/XAMLFrameworkComparison.md

6. Speedz

It uses a now older version of TGUI

7. Speedz

I looked at Avalonia, but it seems it is "too new" The launcher is designed to support at least 10.7, that shows 10.13 minimum. Sux too because that looked promising.

8. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

The cool kids would tell me that electron/JavaScript is the new hotness for a project like this. But I'm a bit shifter with aspirations to develop drivers for the Linux kernel. I've tried and failed to write something useful in so many UI frameworks, I've accepted that it's just not my thing. However, if it's process management, thread safety, asio, or anything system level like that count me in.
    I encourage you to share your source. I won't judge! I'd be happy to help tinker. I have maintained my own launcher script for Linux in bash for a few years. I'd love to wrap up that know how in a serviceable UI.