Do All Charm Pets Equip Gear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Break, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Break

Break People Like Me

I noticed that Coteries in ME will not use weapons when they are handed to them. I am now wondering if they don't equip any gear or if they are limited to not equipping weapons (which also seems odd for their level).

I usually to use -MR gear when charming, but it would be worthless if the pets refuse to equip it.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks.

2. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Is it possible they are equipping the weapons but just not showing it? Perhaps the coterie models just don't show weapons when they wield them. You can tell if you turn on others hits and see that it's slashing/crushing with the weapon you gave it.

3. PompeiiEQ

PompeiiEQ Active Member

Coterie do not show the weapons they drop. I can confirm this part.

4. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

you cant make those quad

5. Break

Break People Like Me

They "hit" attackers even when given weapons.

6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

All pets will wear armor given to them assuming it is not No Drop. NPCs only have 1 Ring, Ear, Wrist slot.

Some pets will not show weapons in their model but will equip them. You can determine this by casting an illusion on your pet.

Some pets will not equip weapons at all. This is the case for about 95% of PoP NPCs.

Cadsuane likes this.
  7. Break

Break People Like Me

Thanks. This is the answer I was in search of. I'll continue handing them the resist modifiers when charming them.

8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Keep in mind also that there is a floor for charm break checks.

At some combination of level and magic resist, lowering the NPCs magic resist further will no longer impact the break chances.

Typically you are reaching this value with normal mobs and just Tash from what I recall? Higher MR mobs you may want Tash/Malo and maybe that resist gear.

9. Break

Break People Like Me

Interesting. Do all spells reach some sort of floor, or is this charm specific? I figured negative mr would just keep stacking considering the way certain charms have resist modifiers.

10. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Most spells do have a floor. There is a certain combination of level differential and magic resist that results in 100% hit rate. For example there are some camps/zones that people do AE groups in. The Grimling Infinity spawn for example never resist stuns from a level 60 enchanter. The Fungus Grove zone mobs resist stuns rarely from a level 60 enchanter, however if a bard uses Denon’s Bearevement, they never resist stuns so long as Denons remains on.

It is slightly different for damage spells because partial resists are handled differently.

For charm, especially at level 60 where the highest mob enchanters can charm is 53 (ignoring dictate). Your level differential is always 7 at a minimum. This is quite a large differential and leads to scenarios where you are almost always hitting the floor on charm break chance for normal mobs. It takes a mob with much higher magic resist than normal to need resist Debuff gear and/or malosini. I guess it may be possible to use Debuff gear to hit the floor without tash. I’ve been searching on the forums cause I was fairly sure there was a post somewhere about what combination of level differential and magic resist hits the floor.

Break likes this.
  11. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

Is there a list or set of guidelines to know which NPCs are the 5% of PoP charm pets that do equip weapons?

12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Elementals in BoT and Diaku/humanoids in pit of tactics and almost all dire charmable mobs are about it.

Charmed pet weaponry stops being worth it in PoP more or less.

13. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

most (all?) PoP pets still equip haste items though, AFAIK

14. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Yes they will all equip armor just not weapons.

15. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

That doesn't seem to be the case on TAKP. If a mob doesn't equip weapons, it doesn't equip anything.

If anyone has log evidence to the contrary - e.g. a swordfish that started swinging faster with a Jumpy robe - they should share it with Torven.