Defensive or Evasive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slayzz, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Can this please be a thing?

2. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

The Batvatar of War?

Ransom and showstring like this.
  3. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Yes.

Just copy/paste Emp's stats. Loot can be 4 guises, 4 dragon bags, plus 4 Vulak loots. Or maybe 1x each "of the Disciple" loots from the AK GM event.

It's like 0 dev work and would be a fun way for the server to come together, smash a big nasty mob, and celebrate all the work that went into the moon landing.

4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Make defensive or evasive trigger a DT.

5. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

And make every death spawn a carrion bat.

Neealana likes this.
  6. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

We can't stop here, this is bat country!

7. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like it be a good GM event.

lurari and showstring like this.
  8. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

A snake masquerading as a bat?
    those flying kicks are going to hurt

lurari likes this.
  9. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Show me your moves

10. Arune

Arune New Member

Maybe you should just read through the screenshot thread I posted as an introduction.

On Terris-Thule I was in one of the highest-end raiding guilds on the server. Spent more than 14-years playing EQ. I do have a little knowledge in the area but whatever.

Consequentially - I spent very little time throughout the years at very low levels or non-twinked, except for my first characters.

P.S. Bats suck

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  11. Arune

Arune New Member

Oh I do not concur.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20110704200049/http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13

Additionally, there are dozens of threads of warriors going Evasive and losing aggro vs defensive and keeping aggro. Course this is
    all speculation.

Of course avoidance is supposed to be better than mitigation but based on around year 2000-2003 or around - proc rate only accounted for number of swings - didn’t matter how often the swing connected.

12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

The only aggro related excerpt I found from that post is:

Which is simply false. It's been parsed and proven that Hate values are frontloaded and calculated on swing, not on hit. Missing more often has 0 impact on your aggro generation because a miss and a max hit are considered the same amount of hate.

I don't see anything else in the post linked that suggests either Evasive or Defensive impact hate generation.

13. Arune

Arune New Member

That’s interesting. I stand corrected if that is the case.

However, I will state I have seen our warrior go evasive/defensive and immediately my monk would pull aggro off him.

I understand your point and I take it as someone who knows. My only question is - why would it change aggro so quickly the moment he pops a discipline?

I am not asking to prove a point - I have been disproven. I am simply asking for my knowledge as to understand this better.

14. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

On what server did you witness that and at what level / zone / mob.

All of these things factor into the way aggro works. There's a decent amount of complexity to the aggro code what with undead aggro, proximity aggro, memblurs, HP amount, level, etc.

lurari likes this.
  15. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

This one time I saw a warrior pop a discipline and a wolf turned into a tree.
    EXPLAIN THAT

lurari likes this.
  16. Arune

Arune New Member

The example I am giving is both warrior and monk using the same weapons. For example in BoT - that is good example because at that time the 2her dropped there was the best for most monks and warriors.

I mention this only because we had to make specific timers before engaging, etc. The problem was with aggro dancing around the place. No matter how well equipped the warrior was, this happened consistently.

I believe much of this was fixed over time.

In either case, I stand corrected if that is the case. I am not looking for definitive comments because I don’t have logs to back it up - nor do I have the number of hits/misses/engagement time/etc. Its a moot point.

Showstring: Do you have something useful to mention? Clearly, you do not.

17. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

To my knowledge Monks have a higher Double Attack and Triple attack rate, while having the same number of ranks of Punishing Blade and Ferocity.

Meaning they will swing more and generate more aggro with identical weaponry.

Which is why most warriors got proc weapons with high aggro components.

Just a guess though!

18. Arune

Arune New Member

I get that.

Yet, I also get warriors get taunt for a reason.

19. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Since we've already gone so far off the rails, I'll just mention something.
    It has always been my understanding that taunt is basically worthless if the warrior is already on top of the hate list. Although I don't know if that's the case on takp, it was definitely the case on live. If you're mashing taunt for agro, you're doing it wrong. Taunt just puts you +1 hate above whoever is on top of the agro list.... so if you're at the bottom of the agro list, it's terrific. If you're already at the top then you're just going to increase your hate by +1.

20. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

That's my understanding as well. Its for sudden grabs when that Monk forgot to un-equip their stunning staff, not for prolonged buildup. There's usually a reason you're at the bottom though, so you need to make sure your hate generation builds and stays above everyone else. Taunt is really just an 'oh shit' thing. And it fails often anyway.