Completely confused by boxing!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Domkin, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Domkin

Domkin New Member

Hi all,

Pretty new to Al'Kabor and never played P99 etc, so I'm pretty much just old school EQ. I have never multiboxed in my life and thought now might be the time.

I am utterly lost! I spent some time on the wiki and reading through forum posts. Secret is no longer supported, some new DLL, multi monitor doesnt work right, TeamSpaces2??

I have 1, giant mac monitor, I want to run 3 accounts reliably, without having to use 3 machines. What is my best course of action, or if this has been fully explained and I've missed it somewhere, perhaps a link please?

Thanks in advance!

Dom

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Use Speedz' official TAKP game launcher for OSX to launch the game. After you click 'Connect' - and before the game actually opens - move your mouse to your dock and click the EverQuest icon, then move your mouse away from the dock. If you don't do this you will have issues with your mouse in-game and may not be able to click anything during character creation.

Create multiple spaces (through OSX mission control preferences, most prefer four) and launch one account on each. Use shortcuts or trackpad gestures to switch between spaces.

Edit - Have you actually launched the game and created a single character yet? Or are you putting the cart before the horse regarding boxing?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  3. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

You dont have to box. All the dll talk is windows. Mac setup totally different.

He does have a char created. FYI.

There are a lot of boxers on macs. They can help you get going. But dont feel you have to box.

gardnerjens likes this.
  4. Domkin

Domkin New Member

I have a character yes but I have noticed there are not many low level players about, maybe because I am on uk time so I thought I would level my cleric up through boxing until groups came along :)

I will give the advice above a shot.

Thanks!

In the meantime if anyone is setting up a low level group and needs a cleric with 11 years experience let me know!!

5. Domkin

Domkin New Member

Ok, so I created 3 additional desktops. Desktop 1, 2 and 3. The shortcut key is Control plus left or right, which is nice. I click on EQ and click connect then go down to the dock bar, click on EQ again as suggested above. Get to the character select screen but can no longer switch between desktops? Control left and right do nothing?

6. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

That's odd, I can use keyboard commands, trackpad gestures, or mouse buttons (which just simulate ctrl+arrow keyboard commands) to switch at any time.

7. Bastette

Bastette Active Member

I use option + arrow to more left/right between spaces. I also have a shift-opt-1 through 4 assigned as direct access hotkeys.

Once I made sure no other keyboard shortcuts were sharing the same shortcuts, it worked perfectly. The only issue I have is that there can be a significant pause (20-30 seconds) the first time switching spaces after each EQ instance is loaded. After that, switching spaces is instantaneous.

This is on a 2010 MBP running Sierra.

8. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

You may not be in windowed mode. Go to finder, click the "go" menu at the top and hold down alt so "library" shows up. Click library. From there go to application support > everquest > eqclient.ini. open that file in textedit Add the line:
    WindowedMode=True

That should launch the game out of fullscreen and re-enable your keyboard shortcuts

9. Bastette

Bastette Active Member

Yes, I forgot about this one. Windowed mode is necessary. There is a terminal command you can run that will hide the dock and menu bar when EQ is in the foreground. It's in a thread on here somewhere...

10. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

you will want the clock/menu bar visible, also click your time and go to prefs and have it show seconds, helps with spawn counters

Palski and Neealana like this.
  11. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

Anyone willing to walk a newb through this? Haven’t played since I was a kid, and not a huge gamer, so this is a little difficult to navigate. I got my mouse to work in-game a couple of times..ish. I wouldn’t call it working, but occasionally I could click things. I had two arrows the last time. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

12. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

13. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

My ava is Elise. I miiight have found you on discord, though. I am gonna try something I read up on and ideally it will work.

14. Vince987

Vince987 New Member

Heya Rhodes, Welcome! There are a lot of us on EU time feel free to shoot Torinda/Tashindra a message in game and I'll be pleased to help out ... I need to start a new lowbie so maybe I can come help you out =D See you in game!

15. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

I will definitely reach out! I think I figured out the mechanics, for the most part. Now i need to work through the user error and random freezing, where it types and mouses on my minimized ava occasionally at random.

16. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

For anyone else trying to figure this out:
    Macbook Pro Mid 2014 Yosemite 10.10.5
    Using the TAKPLauncher 2.1 was much easier than using the text edit/terminal launcher for windowed mode for me. There is a small little box that says windowed that you can check off in the bottom right corner. Go figure. You should have avatars made because you cant use your mouse until you get in-game/enter the world. You do need to use the up and down arrows and enter button to select your ava and log-in. After that type [/mc i] without the brackets, and hit enter. A box comes up and once you hit ok, your mouse issues are solved. Using Mission Control on Macbooks is the best bet. Command-Tab and the down arrow will get you to your other screens. To switch through them you press tab and to select one, you will press the up arrow-enter. Hopefully this was helpful.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019