Classic Models vs Luclin Models?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khorpus, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

I've been away from EQ for quite a spell, but I am back and had a laugh at how much this still impacts people and how much people lean one way or the other. I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts are towards the two model types. I know that a LOT of people feel very "prejudiced" towards one or the other.

Back in the day when I heard Luclin models were coming out I, personally, was excited. I thought it was a much needed upgrade, but I recall that there was going to be a big PC spec requirement change and a bigger RAM requirement and people were flipping shit. I wasn't let down like some, but certainly not all cared for it.

So many of us still prefer old models even though there were new ones available. I assumed that Sony gave the option of having both options so that people with less powerful hardware could continue on like nothing had happened. But now, that's not an issue. Some embraced it, some shook their heads and stayed with what they know and love regardless of hardware.

I personally love and always use all Luclin models but it's a pretty regular thing to see people that think they suck compared to the old. What do you guys prefer and why do you prefer it? What makes old models so appealing? Is it simple nostalgia or do you really like old models better?

If nobody responds I'll assume this was a lame topic to bring up and whatever, but I thought it would be fun. Luclin models look so much better to me, but that's one man's opinion. Why all of the love for classic models?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Dimitri Ex'Zemos

Dimitri Ex'Zemos Active Member

Trolls look ridiculous. This is enough to not let me use any luclin models. Besides, velious armor doesn't display on luclin models, so screw that.

Quirk likes this.
  3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I think for the majority it comes down to when you started playing. If you started in Luclin + then most likely you prefer the Luclin models. If you started before those models were live then Luclin models look horrible. I for one think Luclin models look better, which would make sense because I started playing after Luclin went live. I do understand that some Velious textures don't display properly with Luclin models however, so I can understand some reasoning there.

But overall its the same reasoning why people hate the Hero's Forge models on live. "OMGZ, its different! It sucks1"

4. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

I started playing about the time luclin came out. Since then, and for always, I will only use luclin models because they are what I started with and are so much better. Even if that means I don't get to abuse the horse/classic model cheat.

5. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Well in some cases they altered the characters a great deal. (old ogres and gnomes vs new) I prefer the old in many cases but like the new in a few. Plzhorsebug4gnomes

6. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

/agree 100% ^^^

And yeah, I started in 2000, so classic models is what I remember most. The reaction and response when SoL came out with its new models was not positive... lots of comments about the actual Luclin model animations too (i.e. running). I suppose if you began after Luclin was already in place, you probably started with SoL models (it was set to be default, provided your graphics card could handle it).

I'll always use classic... pure nostalgia for me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. Saskoris

Saskoris Active Member

I like the geometry of the new ones. The volume of the form is more convincing.

8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Btw trolls look redic in classic models, I look better in luclin

Saskoris likes this.
  9. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

I started playing in 2002. So I guess I fit the stereotype of preferring luclin models! The classic models are ridiculously ugly to me.

10. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

It is pretty interesting how the opinions differ on this. I started at the beginning of Velious and hate the new models, and what Lenas said; I feel the old models move so much smoother. Especially swinging weapons....except maybe iksar 2hs...now that's comedy

11. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Really? I always though the old model animations were super clunky and shaky and just weird / creepy. I do find it interesting how divided everyone is on this, lol. To each his own though!

Saskoris likes this.
  12. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

why do you see swinging weps????

I only play in first person -Bum

Mokli likes this.
  13. Mambo

Mambo Well-Known Member

It is possible to look at other people (some of whom swing weapons) if you aren't completely self-consumed.

Velili likes this.
  14. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Classic, kunark and velious armor textures have more character. Limited color palette combined with unique textures meant you could know what someone was wearing without inspection. Luclin makes no difference between old world or velious chain/plate/leather, custom helms mean nothing, etc. It just has one look for each with rotating colors. Humans and Iksar had all of these looks plus unique Monk-only styles.

All uniqueness was taken away when SOE added the ability to dye armor with LDoN. Absolutely everyone looked the same (or even more stupid, rainbow colored).

[​IMG]

As a classic player, you got to watch SOE expand and add unique looks with one expansion, and in the very next decrease the options by half. It felt like regression.

Many Luclin character animations I do not like. This includes things like swinging 2h weapons with one hand. I don't like how any characters look when they sit. Running animations do not scale correctly with movement speeds.

I will probably turn on Luclin models for a while once the expansion launches. My alts will probably never use them due to AK's lovely horse bug.

You can see weapons when swinging in first person with classic models.

Frosst likes this.
  15. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I didn't start playing EQ until LDoN era and I just couldn't adjust to the old model. Just wasn't my flavor.

16. Dane

Dane People Like Me

I started playing EQ in 2000 during Kunark, but I am using and loving Luclin models until it's time for horse bug. Then I'll count the polygons on one hand and count my sitting mana regen on the other.

17. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I play in first person aswell with Luclin models like Bum (gasp). I like not seeing my weapon swinging, except of course when I forget to turn attack on. BUT! That's why we all three-box right? I never saw the weapon swing as awkward, well, no more awkward than any other video game.

18. Gumgak

Gumgak Active Member

I started in Kunark, but still prefer the Luclin models, especially for ogres, trolls, and gnomes.

19. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

It is amazing how divided people are, ha. I liked armor dyes, made it so I didn't look like a bowl of fruit loops. Plus I haaaate the dark blue color of warrior elemental armor. Wish I could change it ! :/ /duck

20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I admit I did use armor dyes as well.

[​IMG]

21. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

As a very casual player at the time i loved luclin graphics upgrades. It wasthe first time i thought my character looked cool. (Although i did like the shiny leather pants on my classic model human druid... schwing!) That might have more to do though with getting mouse scroll so i could actually see my character sometimes...
    On AK i played with new models for a long time until i decided to try out the horse bug to see what all the fuss was about and reduce lag on raids on my old laptop. (after i forked up the extra cash for a white horse to go with my clerics pink armor... RIP rodcet cultural plate). When i fitst switched i thought the old models were comically horrendous but it didnt take that long to come to expect the game to look that way, and i havent looked back.

22. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Old models have sexy velious textures and good animations.

Luclin models have boring textures and spazzy animations. Prancey, spazzy, flaily animations.

23. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I couldn't support luclin upgrade when it came out, kept the classic models ever after.

24. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

I started playing when Velious came out. But I like Luclin models. Prior models just seem too cartoonish.

25. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

started in 1999, always use classic models whenever possible

the luclin model animations are too awkward to handle

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  26. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I hate the way a wood elf sits in luclin. That right there is enough for me.

Lenas likes this.
  27. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 8.12.39 AM.png

This is how wood elf rangers sit

Mukk, Oiwon, Mokli and 5 others like this.
  28. Mambo

Mambo Well-Known Member

I always thought that the classic models looked like what someone would draw if you told someone to draw that.

Also, Ogres looked comically bad and the antithesis of a strong warrior. A fat and stupid tub of lard with a helmet that has aweful 3 horns(???) coming out of it. With legs apparently barely long enough to walk. New ogre women are scary as f00k.

Trolls looked really bad. They are one of the few races that I never thought got any better (or worse) with the luclin models. Both are hideous.

I hate how slow old models swung their weapons.

Old models always looked really boxy in the face.

Best thing about the old models for me was always the way they sat. Definitely loved that. Never understood why in the hell they made luclin models kneel like they are resting on a fouton to med. So bad.

I thought the old iksars were really ugly. The new Darkelfs look really badass.

To be honest, I play with a mix. Ogre, DE, ikky, Erudite, Human luclin on. Mostly others off. Much love for the vah shir.

29. Aporia

Aporia Member

I started playing during Kunark and therefore view the luclin 'upgrade' as pure heresy. To me, the original EQ art style was charming precisely because of its goofiness. Something about this cartoonish world being so freaking deadly and unforgiving. I mean, have you ever crawled through Najena on a level 15 toon and stumbled on that dismembered dwarf with his boxy-ass face contorted in the most hilarious torment? That's the stuff of real EQ nostalgia. If you started playing post-Luclin, you came to love a different game. When SOE took over development, EQ started to take itself way too seriously. Its pathetic attempt at graphical realism was just the beginning of the same slide that eventually dumped us in the land of the Ukuns, Drakkins, and other such pseudo-anime garbage.

... That said, the Luclin Iksar model is badass. But then again, I really do prefer to prod enemies on my lizard monk, not beat or bash them...

Phaeton, Mambo and Lenas like this.
  30. Mambo

Mambo Well-Known Member

I am totally convinced Verant would have provided an upgrade to models at some point. And they would have been just as bad.

Oh wait, they did. It was called Vanguard. -And they were worse.

Tesadar likes this.