Bard Channeling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slayzz, Sep 24, 2020.

1. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

You can be interrupted without being stunned

RossGuy likes this.
  2. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

As far as I can tell, my bard only gets interrupted by stuns (from spells or melee) and by bashes and kicks (which can interrupt whether or not they stun). I don't think I've ever gotten interrupted by straight melee attacks.

Hove! likes this.
  3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

I take it the stun free kick interrupt is not subject to any kind of channeling roll?

RossGuy likes this.
  4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I think its more that if the AA is provided in the AA window for that class, then it should have some affect, whether positive or negative. That's the assumption, but I guess its wrong.

RossGuy likes this.
  5. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Lol. Way too much to ask. Really glad this forum came up and a useless aa page on the wiki would be very useful, much more so than a lot of other things. Isn’t there a bard aa in pop that slows you down if you get it? That would be devastating for someone not to know.

RossGuy and Break like this.
  6. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

ya, they could even maybe make a dynamic, logged, tracking page for the AAs, that anyone could comment on and help test!
    They could call it the "AA Development Progress Tracker"
    They could even integrate it right into the TAKP web site, at a link like this: https://www.takproject.net/aatracker/

(/scarcasm off -- sure, go ahead and start a wiki page or section, it would def be helpful. anyone can edit the wiki I think!)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Devour_Souls likes this.
  7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Yeah, it would be more for AA's that don't match people's expectations because if you had these AA's on live after the PoP era at some point, they work correctly or were removed. I know quite a few people have thrown AA's away for Jam fest and now this.

RossGuy likes this.
  8. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

There are a lot of useless items, spells and abilities. Sorting through them and deciding which ones are useful to you is part of the game.

It sucks if you think something works one way and then you find out you played it wrong. EverQuest intentionally hid a lot of info about items/abilities early on and it resulted in all kinds misconceptions made up by players because it felt right. Some people still argue about dual wield and think the delay on your weapon doesn't matter. Some seek out negative charisma items for their necros, etc. This server has the advantage that we can ask and describe exactly how something works - it may not be right, some of it may be based on wrong guesses, but at least you can know for sure, something you couldn't do on live. Lots of people did useless or even harmful things on live EQ because they didn't know and they thought it was helping. That stuff makes it even harder to get it right for an emulated server and I'm sure we have a few of these nonsense things implemented in TAKP and they became real now.

I don't know what format it would take but it would be nice to have some kind of new player intro that describes some of the not-so-obvious but crucial strategies that veterans rely on but they're kind of secret and you have to be told about them by a player, because they aren't explained in game. Things like eye of zomm + CotH, PBAoE, bard mez on charmed pet, no aggro percental heal, using /corpse to skip trash clears or locked areas, using clickies to gain aggro, recharging clickies, FD pulilng, FD or sneak quest turn ins, shrink + corner tanking, horse bug with old models, etc. These are game changing things and some of them rely on some glitch/exploit but they're considered acceptable strategies and if you aren't using them, you feel cheated when you find out you could have, same as these crappy AAs that feel wasted.

John Stark, Sketchy, Cadsuane and 2 others like this.
  9. solar

Totally derailing this thread but along the same lines of super secret tribal knowledge, did anyone figure out the Donal's BP effect? I found it in the client decompile and confirmed it on live, but I doubt many people know.

Slayzz likes this.
  10. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

what a tantalizing post. you can't just leave it at that.

Slayzz likes this.
  11. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

do tell

12. Break

Break People Like Me

The BP says 30 second cast time, but the spell you click on says 1 second. It also describes it as a complete heal with duration instead of the 7500hp heal described in complete healing the spell.

My guess is it heals for any amount of HPs?

13. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Probably hateless

14. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

I dunno but either way I have a feeling BP price going up up and away

15. solar

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/item.php?id=4565

The residual buff it puts on the target serves as a cooldown so you can't use it to heal the same target again until it wears off, even with multiple clerics doing it, but the buff also provides one extra point of mana regeneration while it is active. This is a unique hardcoded effect. You can't click this buff off, even though it's beneficial. The duration of the buff is extended by focus. I am not sure if it should be.

It's relevant to this thread because the added point of mana regeneration also functions on bards, which is pretty exciting because not much else does.

I probably just threw Trakanon under the bus.

Sketchy, Cadsuane and thucydides like this.
  16. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

lol, that's so cool! not huge or game-breaking, but it's wild that I've played this game for so long but never discovered stuff like that.

Sketchy likes this.
  17. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I don't see +1 mana regen anywhere in the spell data for the "Complete Heal" effect?

It isn't affected by focus items, they don't seem to work for clickies. I saw nothing sparkle when I clicked it.
    However, it seems to be affected by the extended buff AAs which makes the buff last longer. That's quite a negative side effect... just tested it and the buff lasted for 11:15mins instead of the 7:30 minutes.

How come it isn't affected by Healing Gift / Healing Adept AAs then?

18. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Trakanon will recover from this blow, the true victims are the poor clerics that make the mistake of bringing the bp with them to a raid

Radda, Ransom and Slayzz like this.
  19. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Why does kick seem better for interrupting casters than bash?

20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

It's not in the spell data file.

21. solar

This is what I meant, the AA focus. For using it as a regen buff this actually benefits players though.

Edit: I re-checked this on live just now and the duration is extended there as well so it looks like we have it correct. This is a kunark era item and this effect was a fix to keep people from using these for CH chains. Possibly the mana regen was added as consolation for nerfing the infinite healing ability.

22. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Finally an excuse to use my Donal's BP! Going on two years and still haven't used it once.

23. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Maybe the "beneficial" effect just needed some actual effect to stick.

24. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

So now I need to get a Donal's BP. The clicky list just never ends.

25. Break

Break People Like Me

/Bump

I mentioned that Donal's Chestplate of Mourning gives bard mana regen in alliance the other day. It does not seem well known, so I thought I'd shine a little more light on it.

giantfortt, Pithy and solar like this.
  26. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

/bump

I spent the time verifying this, so you don't have to.

Here are the results

level 29 bard, standing up
    20% mana until 40% mana time: 10min 40sec
    80% mana until 100% mana time with cleric Complete Heal clicky bp effect: 5min 18sec

level 29 bard, sitting down
    20% mana until 40% mana time: 5min 20sec
    60% mana until 80% mana time with cleric Complete Heal clicky bp effect: 3min 30sec

summary:
    1. The Donal's BP Complete Heal effect provides +1 hidden mana regen
    2. Sitting down provides +1 mana regen

So when your bard dies and get rezzed up, ask a local cleric for their Donal's BP clicky.

Testing to do:
    Check to see if being mounted on a horse provides +1 mana sitting effect for bards.
    Also test to see if this +1 mana sitting effect works while you're moving/attacking while mounted on a horse, since bards are special and all....

Has anyone done this test yet? I would have to purchase a horse to test it.

Ripwind likes this.
  27. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

That Donal’s BP thing feels like a bug that should get fixed? But maybe it’s AKurate?

28. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

No more of a bug than the no horse restrictions when on a horse using old models.

29. Break

Break People Like Me

I believe that Solar mentioned it was hardcoded and still exists on live to this day.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    showstring and Lenas like this.
  30. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

So weird. Bards, man.

showstring likes this.