Are DoTs stacking correctly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saskoris, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Saskoris

Saskoris Active Member

At Plane of Growth, on Sunday, Gudlilshady was mentioning to me about how our DoTs weren't stacking like on old AK. I think another Necro mentioned this to me before, too.

Anyone else experiencing this? If it is true, it is really hurting DoT based raid DPS.

2. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

The DoTs from different casters (including the same spell) do stack on NPCs on TAKP. I've confirmed several times including just now. I see the spell in several slots, and the effects are combined. I'm not sure if there are certain spells broken or it's just misinformation. But if there is a legitimate bug here, please have whoever is experiencing it post a bug report with the casters, spells, and NPCs involved.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Can't comment on Necro dots, but for Druids, those with debuffs don't stack which is correct. For instance, Breath of Ro from different casters should overwrite.

4. cavedude

I just tried with 3 Druids. I had 3 instances of Winged Death and 3 instances of Creeping Crud, all effects were combined on a test NPC. Attemtping to cast Breath of Ro returned "Your spell did not take hold." for the second and third casters. So, this all appears to be working.

Mokli likes this.
  5. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Sorry, I meant blocked. My post was just affirming its working correctly as far as I can tell for Druid dots with other components added to them other than strictly HP.

6. cavedude

Oh yes, I understood. I was merely testing out Druid DoTs to confirm they are doing what I think they should be doing as well :)

7. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

From what I heard, this was on a PoG raid, so it may have been other casters casting dispel on the said mobs, and erasing necro's DoTs super early (and not copping to it).

However, I'm curious- Do multiple Necro splurts stack currently? (the increasing dmg dot)

Saskoris likes this.
  8. Saskoris

Saskoris Active Member

Thanks, Prost!

9. cavedude

Yes, Splurt stacks fine. Server side, it's just a normal DoT with a unique effect formula. Each buff is checked every tic, so we should be calculating the correct damage per instance just fine. I'll double check that in the morning to be sure however :)

10. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Hrm. I would expect dots with debuff components to work like other debuffs: bouncing if the first caster is higher level, "refreshing" (i.e. overwriting without a "your spell has worn off" message) if the casters are the same level. I.e. the same thing that would happen if you recast the dot/debuff yourself.

11. cavedude

Oh it did! I didn't mention, but in that test (and it was quick, I only did about 3 rounds of casting) the first caster was 65, and the second and third were in their 60s. I did that to make sure the DoTs would still stick even if the second and third casters were lower level than the first. When I check on Splurt's effect, I can also double check to make sure Breath of Ro is blocked and overwrtitten properly as well.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Ravenwing and Saskoris like this.
  12. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

3 druids?!?! News flash: cavedude is actually Nukem

Quirk, Pinoit, necra and 1 other person like this.
  13. The Shade

The Shade Active Member

It was I that made that mention, but after discussion with Fanglore later that night, it was brought it that it was plausible that the mobs were being chain debuffed and wiping my dots off. I did check to see if the same lines, but different ranks would stack for a single caster yesterday and it did work seem to work. So, my fault for causing a false alarm! Though I still want to check to see if different dots of the same line (IE Ignite Blood and Pyrocuror) will work from two casters of different levels or not.

14. cavedude

Don't worry about the false alarm! In fact this discussion was good, because it brought up concerns players had and so far they are seem to be working well :)

Different DoTs of the same line should be working as well. We're bascially just skipping stacking checks if the spell is a DoT and the target is a NPC. The player level isn't even considered. But, I will also test Ignite Blood and Pyrocruor to be certain.

15. Placer

Placer Well-Known Member

Did you also check across the druid fire dots? One caster should not be able to land a fire dot if they've already casted a higher one.

16. cavedude

I only checked Breath of Ro, which is working correctly. Any others you are curious about?

17. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Druid fire dots (at least Flame Lick / Immolate, which Rangers have) have -AC debuffs so only one should land on a mob at any given time, right? Breath of Ro has an extra FR debuff so yeah only one should stick?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  18. cavedude

Any DoT with a debuff effect should be using normal casting rules yes. But, I will add Flame Lick and Immolate to the test group. I just finished adding additional logging and I am going to do my tests today :)

19. Saskoris

Saskoris Active Member

I had no evidence to support the DoT issue beyond anecdotes, but I am glad this thread inspired the testing it has.

I'm just glad burning affliction works now. XD

Tuluvien likes this.
  20. cavedude

Alright, I did some in depth testing.

Normal DoTs are working perfectly. I tested several lines and found the same spell, same line, or totally different line all stack great regardless of the character's levels. I also confirmed the damage is stacking properly as well.

Splurt is also working perfectly. It stacks with itself, and each instance of the buff figures out its current damage correctly, and adds it to the rest.

DoTs with a debuff component like Flame Lick or Immolate are working correctly in that they are not stacking and are using normal stacking checks (normal DoTs pretty much skip most checks.) However, they were indeed broken and were allowing a lower level character to overwrite a higher's buff. This has been brought up before in rgeards to beneficial buffs with the same effect value so I've fixed this.

Breath of Ro is a whole other story. This spell isn't using stacking checks at all, and simply is always rejected if it tries to overwrite itself and the caster is different than the original caster. (The original caster can refresh the buff.) In its spell data, it has a field we (or EQEmu) has called dot_stacking_exempt. We're checking for that and are just returning if the new caster is different. If this isn't correct and Breath of Ro should be able to be refreshed by anybody on TAK, then that can mean two things.

1. dot_stacking_exempt existed on AK (I've confirmed it in the client data) but wasn't used server side.
    2. dot_stacking_exempt doesn't mean what we think it does, and we have it implemented incorrectly.

So, I've left Breath of Ro alone for now, and any further discussion on it should probably be moved to its own thread in Server Bugs if anybody feels the functionality is wrong.

Mambo, Saskoris, Jugo! and 2 others like this.
  21. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

Thank you for your efforts, dude!

22. The Shade

The Shade Active Member

Wow, thank you for the through recheck, Cavedude! Now I will just go and yell at the excessive debuffers. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Saskoris likes this.
  23. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

image.gif he abides

Jugo! likes this.