Akheva Faction (Luclin)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cromis, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

So, one of the things I always wanted to do (given my past obsession with Luclin lore) was to raise Akheva faction and see if it opened any new dialogues up or added any quests or information. I had some time this past week, and so I created a character on live, and set him up to work on the faction. The thing about Akheva faction is that there are only a handful of mobs that can be used to raise it, and only one of them is a normal spawn (the others are triggered in a part of two different quests in Katta Castellum). The one that spawns is a rare spawn in the Coterie castle in Tenebrous Mountains. To get the quests, there has to be some faction work done to start, so I had taken a character that I hadn't yet damaged the Akheva faction on, and prepped him to do those two quests (the quests for the two shields - the Shield of Bane Warding, and the Loyalist Shield of Honor).

The farming largely consisted of getting a PH for the tormented Vah Shir set up (and keeping it dead), and clearing all of the named vampires in the castle as well as the generals on the second floor repeatedly. The general on the second floor, closest to the stairs, is the PH for the random spawn (Emissary Oomgado).

As it turns out, late on the first day of farming, I spawned the Emissary, and was greeted with this message:

Your faction standing with Akheva could not possibly get any better.

So before I had even begun, it was over. I spent some time testing this a bit, and can share the following observations with some certainty:

1) Your faction with Akheva starts at the maximum value. Unlike most of these factions that do this, it can be improved once you mess it up - but only back to its starting point.

Along with this, one of two propositions is true -

2a) You start with an Akehva faction that is so KoS, that normal attempts to bump the faction cannot raise it out of the KoS range.

or

2b) Akhevans themselves are not on Akhevan faction, and in this case, the Akheva faction simply isn't used (much like the inhabitants of Tanaan faction which can be raised, but doesn't appear to be used by anyone in the PoK).

So that about sums that up. The faction was probably originally intended for something more than it ended up. There are several reasons why I think this might have been the case. At any rate, there is this question of why only a few mobs give the faction, and what this tells us about the lore, so I thought I would share.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Jugo! likes this.
  2. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

When you kill Emissary Oomgado you get a series of faction adjustments. Two of them are really of interest to us - Akheva and the Order of Autarkic Umbrage. Which leads us to wonder:

Who is Emissary Oomgado, what is the Order of Autarkic Umbrage, and why would killing him provide a positive hit to the Akheva faction? All of the related details swirl around the type of creature identified as a vampyre (and additionally, the nature of the shadow tegi). Many of the quests in Katta involve this vampyre threat. The vampyres are a relatively recent threat to the Loyalist Combine Empire (Katta). Here is the dialogue from the Loyalist shield quest (also known as Vampyre Troubles). Included in this dialogue are some of the relevant faction adjustments (I am not including any of the competing faction adjustments from Seru factions).

You say, 'Hail, Phenic Dionicas'
    Phenic Dionicas says 'Greetings adventurer. I am Phenic Dionicas, Magistrate of the Loyalist Combine Empire. I hope the [vampyres] did not cause you troubles on your journey here.

You say, 'What vampyres?'

Phenic Dionicas says 'Aye, the vampyres of the Coterie of the Eternal Night. I was among the first to ever [discover] the vampyre threat when I was just a young boy freshly initiated into the [Validus Custodus].'

You say, 'What did you discover?'

Phenic Dionicas says 'I was on a routine trade route patrol through the tenebrous mountains and the grimling forest when we were attacked by a pack of the vile undead. The creatures that attacked us wore the garments of Shadow Haven merchants and nearly my entire patrol was slain by their claws and fangs. Only [Heratius Grolden] and myself made it back to the safety of Katta Castellum alive and shortly after I was the only survivor of the attack.'

You say, 'Who are the Validus Custodus?'

Phenic Dionicas says 'The Validus Custodus is the army of the Loyalist Empire. It was formerly known as the Tsaph Katta Militia when the city of Katta Castellum was still being erected upon the cliffs that it now stands. As the city grew and the duties of the militia expanded the governors and magistrates of the time met in council and the Validus Custodus was formed. My father Galin Dionicas was elected the first Commander and Chief of the Validus Custodus. Commander Galin was slain in his sleep the very same night that Heratius body was stolen from the graveyard by the vile Coterie of the Eternal Night. Their deeds shall not go unpunished.'

You say, 'Who is Heratius Grolden?'

Phenic Dionicas says 'Heratius Grolden was a boyhood friend of mine and a brave legionnaire in the Validus Custodus. He was buried with honor in the graveyard of Katta Castellum. Several nights after his burial Heratius' grave had been dug up and his body was missing. I suspect and fear that the Coterie of the Eternal Night returned for him to make him one of their own. I pray to whatever gods are listening that some day we are able to [track down the defilers]!'

You say, 'I will track down the defilers.'

Phenic Dionicas says 'It has been several decades since the first group of vampyres that are responsible for the death of Heratius Grolden were encountered. I have been watching for signs of their origins since that time to little avail. What we do know is that they wore the apparel of merchants from Shadow Haven. How and why they were turned into the bloodsucking creatures they became is still a mystery and shrouded in many rumors. Take this official request form to the merchant records keeper in Shadow Haven and he may be able to provide you with records of any merchant caravans that departed for Katta Castellum within a reasonable time before the attacks and never returned.'

The request is delivered to Record Keeper Ajar in Shadow Haven.

You say, 'Hail, Record Keeper Ajar'

Record Keeper Ajar says 'Greetings friend Human! I'm afraid I am quite busy with all the transactions that occur and shipments that come and go from the city but if you have an official request form for some information from our library of records I will gladly assist you.'

Record Keeper Ajar says 'So you were sent by the Magistrates of Katta Castellum I see. It isn't very often we get requests for records as old as these.' Ajar shuffles through several books on a cluttered shelf and a few minutes later procures the records and begins writing down the requested information. 'Here are the names that have been requested by Magistrate Dionicas. You can assure him when you deliver this record that it is quite accurate.'

Returning with the records to Phenic Dionicas:

Phenic Dionicas says 'Most interesting. One of the names on this list I recognize. The alchemist [Valdanov Zevfeer]. Nathyn Illuminious would know more of Valdanov. Present this badge to Nathyn so that he knows you have been sent by the Magistrates to inquire about this issue and question him about the alchemist.'

You say, 'Who is Valdanov Zevfeer?'

Phenic Dionicas says 'Valdanov Zevfeer was a traveling alchemist and magical reagent peddler that used to occasionally visit Katta Castellum. At one point before the initial vampyre attacks he decided to remain in Katta Castellum for a while with the wealthy Katta citizen Nathyn Illuminious. Apparently that decision saved his life as according to the records you have provided the caravan he arrived with never completed the return trip to Shadow Haven. That is as much as I know about the individual as he primarily kept to himself during his stay here.'

Now, you take your badge of service and show it to Nathyn Illuminious.

You say, 'Who is Valdanov Zevfeer?'

Nathyn IIIuminious says 'Valdanov Zevfeer was a talented alchemist from Shadow Haven with whom I had many dealings. He would bring me components for my enchantment research from all the various environments here on Luclin. Since Valdanov had been such a valuable aid to me in the past I decided to return the favor and allowed him residence within my abode and helped to further fund his research as long as he assisted me in my own enchantment studies. He has since left to continue to pursue his own interests and I have not heard from him in [quite some time].'

You say, 'How long is quite some time?'

Nathyn IIIuminious says 'Valdanov departed many years ago. He had become dangerously obsessive with his research of vampyre physiology and the effects of various alchemical formulae on the undead creatures. His obsession began when a traveler arrived in Katta Castellum speaking of a Vah Shir vampyre. Valdanov began leaving the safety of the city frequently in search of this undead Vah Shir and for questionable alchemical reagents with which he insisted on testing on [captured vampyres] being studied by the Magus Conlegium.'

You say, 'Where are the captured vampyres?'

Nathyn IIIuminious says 'After an unfortunate mishap with an escaped vampyre in the city the Magus Conlegium and the Validus Custodus declared that no vampyres shall ever again enter the city of Katta Castellum and only their ashes or blood may be studied under the careful observation of the Magus Conlegium. I am very sorry but I have some pressing business I must attend to and I'm afraid I have nothing more to offer. You may take this information back to Magistrate Phenic as he has requested.'

You receive a "Report of Nathyns Questioning." This is returend to Phenic:

Phenic Dionicas says 'So Valdanov had an interest in a Vah Shir vampyre?!! Perhaps we should seek out this Vah Shir and find more clues. Take these orders to Legionnaire Falion during his next shift at the Tenebrous Mountains Gate, he will question any travelers that pass by about this mysterious Vah Shir. Should you locate the Vah Shir Vampyre attempt to present him with your Badge of Service for questioning, he just may agree to cooperate rather than anger the Validus Custodus.'

Approaching Legionnaire Falion and give him the order:

You say, 'Hail, Legionnaire Falion'

Legionnaire Falion says 'Greetings traveler! You look like you're still breathing and have your blood running through your veins so I suppose you may seek shelter behind the mighty walls of Katta Castellum.'

Legionnaire Falion says 'A Vah Shir vampyre!! Isn't that disturbing! How are you supposed to spot its pale skin under all that fur! Come to think of it I've heard that a strange Vah Shir has occasionally been spotted heading towards the villages of the Coterie of the Eternal Night here in the Tenebrous Mountains. This may be the Vah Shir you are seeking. I will be sure to question any arriving travelers if they have spotted him.'

At this point in the quest line, the faction hits start to become interesting:

Your faction standing with Nathyn Illuminious got worse.
    Your faction standing with Coterie of the Eternal Night got worse.

Having this discussion with Falion spawns Kerzar Clawtore on the other side of the zone - when you find him, give him the badge:

Kerzar Clawtore says 'You've been sent by the Validus Custodus to question me!! You mortals are more foolish than I had presumed! The only information I have for you is the fact that you are about to face your death!!'

Kerzar Clawtore roars flashing glistening fangs that are sharper and longer than the average Vah Shirs!

As Kerzar gets close to death, he stops fighting and submits:

Kerzar Clawtore crouches to the ground cowering. 'Enough, you have proven your might. I will talk! Just cease your assault!'

Kerzar Clawtore says 'What knowledge do I have that the Validus Custodus is so eager to obtain? If you spare me I assure you I will answer truthfully.'

You say, 'Who is Valdanov?'

Kerzar Clawtore says 'I have not seen Valdanov Zevfeer in many years. He came to me once when I was still newly reborn wanting to extract a vial of my blood. When I refused he attacked me and extracted it against my will. I was still new and unfamiliar with my vampyric powers, Valdanov's [abilities] were far more developed than my own.

You say, 'What abilities?'

Kerzar Clawtore says 'His vampyric abilities of course. Valdanov had either been reborn in undeath far before myself or had a powerful mentor and the time and facilities in which to train. I did my best to resist his attack but I was still subdued by his superior skills and strength. He dropped this key in the struggle. I have no use for it, consider it yours. I must be going before I'm seen by the others. Oh no! It's too late! We've been spotted! May you continue your investigations in the afterlife!'

Kerzar Clawtore rapidly transforms into swirling mist indistinguishable from the wind swept mountain fog as other forms begin to solidify from the fog nearby.

Kerzar despawns at this point, and (4) coterie generals spawn and attack. But, you also get a bone key.

You don't need to kill them if you can escape - the objective is the key. Inside Nathyn's house is "a locked chest". The bone key opens it and immediately the guards of the house will aggro:

Private Sentinel Frieza says 'Fool!! You know not what you have released upon us!! Nathyn will have your heads for this!!'

Private Sentinel Tozza says 'Fool!! You know not what you have released upon us!! Nathyn will have your heads for this!!'

Opening the chest releases an "imprisoned shade" (which attempts to kill you along with the guards - usually at least 6 of them). Killing the shade gives these faction adjustments:

Your faction standing with Order of Autarkic Umbrage got worse.
    Your faction standing with Valdanov Zevfeer got worse.
    Your faction standing with Akheva got better.
    Your faction standing with Shak Dratha got better.
    You gain party experience!!

The shade drops a worn research book and a Autarkic Shade Lord Belt.

When you take the research book to Phenic Dionicas:

Phenic Dionicas listens to your account of the events that have occurred since last you spoke and reads through the journal. 'This investigation is getting more and more baffling the further we delve. Among other things, I am wondering if the shade that was imprisoned in the chest is the same that was providing Valdanov with the blood for his research. Take the belt that the shade was wearing with these instructions to Governor Lathin at the Magus Conlegium. In the meantime I will pay a visit to Nathyn Illuminious.'

Taking these to Lathin:

You say, 'Hail, Lathin Firetree'

Lathin Firetree says 'Well met brave Human. I am Lathin Firetree, Governor of Wizardry here at the Magus Conlegium. I have an abundance of research and experimentation to attend to so unless you have an issue of importance to present or are going to assist me with the research I must get back to my studies.'

Lathin Firetree says 'Phenic wishes me to summon the Shade that is the owner of this belt for questioning. That is quite a dangerous request but it is not uncommon of Phenic to be a risk taker when it comes to his plots against the Coterie of the Eternal Night. Take this sketch and find a skilled potter to craft you a likeness of a shade from a large block of clay as a focus item for the ritual. When you have the unfired figurine fire it in a kiln with this special glaze on a High Quality Firing Sheet and return to me.'

After you create the figurine, you give it to Lathin:

Lathin Firetree says 'Excellent, this figurine will work wonderfully. A group of my best summoners is gathering on the first floor at the largest of the summoning circles to call forth the shade. Please take the figurine to Theurgus Ajeea Polaja immediately.'

Back on the first floor of the mage tower, three mages have spawned for the ritual. You give the figurine to Ajeea:

Theurgus Ajeea Polaja says 'Perfect. We shall begin the summoning and questioning. This enchanted scroll will magically scribe all that transpires within its radius of perception. Take it to Magistrate Phenic after the summoning and questioning are completed.'

They then summon Autarkic Lord Sfarosh:

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'Meddling fleshlings! Why have you pulled back to this forsaken castellum? Do you fear that I will seek vengeance on Nathyn Illuminious and the city that shelters him for my years of captivity here? Or do you seek something more dangerous, knowledge of the dark path of shadows?'

Incantator Jak Masric says 'We neither fear you nor seek to be drawn into your dark ways, Lord Sfarosh. You will provide us some information as demanded by the Magistrates of the Loyalist Empire. The questions are simple, answer quickly and the sooner you shall be freed from this summoning. What is your history with the alchemist Valdanov Zevfeer?'

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'A simple question indeed. I simply supplied him with Akhevan blood for his experimentation, that is all. The Order of Autarkic Umbrage is no friend of the Akheva and it was possible that his research could uncover some useful information for my order. Valdanovs own motivation for his experimentation was none of my concern, but the outcome is quite fascinating I must admit.'

Praecantor Selis Dawneyes says 'So it seems you are aware of the outcome of his hidden experimentation. Care to enlighten us as to what that outcome was?'

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'I am amazed at how little you fleshlings know of what occurs within the very walls of your own castellum. It is known by my Order that Akhevan blood has strange mutagenic effects on the bodies of non-akheves if introduced to their circulatory systems. The process by which the Shadow Tegi are infused with the blood is quite complicated and painful but I would deduce that a vampyre like Valdanov merely had to ingest the blood for the mutagenic agents to effect his physiology, causing the permenent change into what I believe you call a Vampyre Volatilis. I have no dealings with Valdanov since his mutation as I was imprisoned in Nathyns mansion until freed by these foolish fleshings.'

Theurgus Ajeea Polaja says 'How was it that you came to be imprisoned in the mansion of Nathyn Illuminious?'

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'I was paying a visit to Valdanov with more Akhevan blood, not knowing he had already been banished by Nathyn from Katta Castellum for becoming the monster that he became. I must admit, Nathyn is a powerful and cunning creature. He was prepared for my arrival, captured me with his sorceries, and imprisoned me in that enchanted chest. I was not offered an explanation, nor do I know how he discovered my dealings with Valdanov, I assume he obtained that knowledge from questioning Valdanov about his mutation.'

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'It seems some allies are arriving! Foolish fleshlings, run while you have the chance!'

Praecantor Selis Dawneyes says 'Ajeea! What's happened?! I sense there are dark powers at work here!'

Incantator Jak Masric says 'The circle of containment is breaking down without Ajeea! Prepare yourselves!'

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'Your feeble fleshling magic has failed you! Your souls shall be slaves of the Order of Autarkic Umbrage!'

Praecantor Selis Dawneyes rushes to Ajeea, lifts her comotose body with a magical force and they both vanish is a flash of light.

Incantator Jak Masric says 'Eliminate the shades! Selis and I will get Ajeea to safety and concentrate on a ward to prevent any further intrusion and stifle the shades power! Seek me out and bring me the robes of these shades when they have been slain so that we may research placing a more permanent ward against such creatures on the Conlegium.'

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'Attempt to slay me if you so desire, and if you succeed it matters not. I will return as I am a creature of shadows and shadows never die, merely slumber!'

ALongside the Autarkic Lord, three Autarkic Umbrage Shades also spawn. When they die, they drop robes, which need to be gathered and delivered to Jak Masric back up on the third floor of the mage tower. When they die, they each give the following faction hits:

Your faction standing with Order of Autarkic Umbrage got worse
    Your faction standing with Coterie of the Eternal Night got worse
    Your faction standing with Valdanov Zevfeer got worse
    Your faction standing with Akheva got better
    Your faction standing with Shak Dratha got better

Incantator Jak Masric says 'Hopefully these robes still contain enough of a magical imprint from the shades to be useful in successfully warding the Magus Conlegium from their kind. Thank you for you assistance. Keep this token as a symbol of your allegiance to the Magus Conlegium.'

You receive an Enchanted Record of Events. You take this scroll back to Phenic:

Phenic Dionicas says 'There is much that is disturbing about these revelations. I will make sure the Validus Custodus is alert than they already are to the presence of powerful vampyre among our citizens. If you can find this Valdanov Zevfeer slay him and bring me his ashes your Katta Castellum Badge of Service, and your Magus Conlegium Token I will bestow upon you an honorable reward.'

Back in the castle in the Tenebrous Mountains, the vampyre Heratius Grolden spawns on the top floor. Killing him will cause Valdanov Zevfeer to spawn. When he dies, he drops his ashes:

Valdanov Zevfeer's corpse screams inhumanly as he falls and bursts into a cloud of ashes blacker than the darkest night.

Loot the Vampire Volatilis Ashes (identifies as "Ashes of Valdanov Zevfeer") from Valdanov and return to Phenic:

Phenic Dionicas says 'You have done a great service for Katta Castellum and the Loyalist Empire. I award you for your honorable Services. Know that you will be remembered for your deeds.'

You receive the Loyalist Shield of Honor.

Jugo! likes this.
  3. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, the other quest also hints at some of these issues. This one starts in Katta as well with Roshawna Rhorer, the Kerran ambassador to the Combine Loyalists -

Hail, Roshawna Rhorer

A pleasure to speak with you! You appear to be a foreigner to Katta Castellum as well. I hope your reasons for visiting this noble city are more leisurely than my own. In addition to my normal duties as a Shar Vahl Emissary to Katta Castellum there is the issue of the [Tormented Vah Shir] in Tenebrous Mountains that must be dealt with.

You say 'What tormented Vah Shir? '

Roshana Rhorer says 'Recently the skeletons of Vah Shir have been spotted wandering the Tenebrous Mountains ferociously and blindly attacking the living. There are legends among my people that speak of Vah Shir warriors that were murdered dishonorably in their sleep by a traitor allied with [dark spirits]. The spirits of these murdered warriors become trapped in their decaying mortal shells for often many years before they are driven mad by the despair, rage, and torturous experience. When this negative spirit energy becomes strong enough the corpses rise and attempt to slaughter all that crosses their path in their state of eternal rage. Spirits tormented in such a manner must be assisted so that they may finally find peace in death. Will you [help the souls] find peace?

You say 'What dark spirits?

Roshana Rhorer say 'Not all spirits that can be called upon by those who are in touch with the spirit realms are of good intentions. There are spirits who seek to destroy and corrupt.These dark spirits are best avoided and kept from manifesting their influence on the mortal realms.Unfortunately the foolish or the weak willed are tempted by their promises of power. Most who deal with the dark spirits are shortly driven mad by the spirits influence or destroyed by the very powers they were promised. There are tales however of powerful shaman capable of harnessing and controlling the dark spirits and their evil powers of corruption. These wicked traitors to the Vah Shir teachings are called [Rakshasa].
    You say 'Who Rakshasa?

Roshana Rhorer say 'Like I said the Rakshasa are spoken of only in old tales. Whether they truly existed or not can not be proven for sure and the elder spiritualist insist they are nothing more than creatures of fiction. If there truly is a Rakshasa alive today it would be a powerful creature indeed. They are said to no longer have a physical body of their own, having traded it to a powerful evil spirit so that it may enter the mortal realm in exchange for dark gifts. Because the Rakshasa no longer has a physical body of its own it must take the forms of other creatures and can not be destroyed with conventional weapons.

You say, 'I will help the souls

Roshana Rhorer say 'The only way for a tormented undead Vah Shir to be put to rest is to destroy its body and take its skull to Shar Vahl where our spiritualists can perform a ritual to cleanse and free the imprisoned spirit. Fill this chest with skulls and return it to me and I will make the preparations for it to be sent to Shar Vahl. The spiritualists there have just recently received word of the situation and will be prepared to perform the proper rituals when the time comes.

Roshana Rhorer provides you with an 8-slot box to fill with the skulls. You return the box to Roshana Rhorer:

Roshawna Rhorer purrs an incantation and waves her claws back and forth over the chest. The runes inscribed on the chest and iron bands begin to softly glow with a golden light.

Roshana Rhorer say 'You have done a great service for these poor souls. I have sent for a courier to come for the chest of skulls but he is quite late in his arrival. I will keep it safe until the courier arrives.

The courrier spanws:

A Vah Shir courier says 'Sorry for the delay mistress, I ran into a spot of trouble on the way here. I am prepared to deliver your crate to the spiritualists back home.

Roshana Rhorer say 'I hope your journey back to Shar Vahl is less eventful. Please make haste the spiritualists must receive this crate as soon as possible.

A Vah Shir courier tucks the crate of skulls under his arm and nods to Roshawna. Suddenly the courier begins to shake, his fur stands on end, and his eyes glaze over expressionlessly. The courier runs for the gates of Katta Castellum with an otherworldly howl echoing in his wake.

Roshana Rhorer say 'Stop him! Stop the courier! An evil spirit has possessed him! He must not escape with those skulls! Catch him and bring back that crate of skulls!

You then have to kill the courier. When he dies:

A Vah Shir Cou's corpse slams the crate of skulls against the ground with unnatural force as he falls jarring it open. With his dying breath the possessed courier mutters a dark incantation and the skulls burst from the chest sprouting new skeletal forms.

At this point, 8 Reanimated Vah Shir spawn, and you kill all of them. You then put them back in the box and give it to Roshana Rhorer:

Roshana Rhorer say 'It appears this situation is much more dire than we had first presumed. It would be unsafe to send this crate within the walls of Shar Vahl should another innocent be possessed and the tormented Vah Shir be resurrected once more. I shall scribe a note explaining the occurrences for you to deliver along with the crate to Spiritualist Roleko at the Vah Shir outpost in Grimling Forest.

Now you take the box and the note to Spiritualist Roleko at the Shar Vahl outpost in Grimling Forest.

Hail Spiritist Roleko

Spiritist Roleko syas 'Greetings Traveler. If it is rest you seek then I'm sure you may rest safely within the walls of this outpost. As the sentries keep watch for physical danger I commune with the spirits of this territory to watch for less noticeable threats.

Spiritist Roleko syas 'It was wise of Roshawna to send you to me instead of risk bringing something so tainted by the dark spirits within the walls of Shar Vahl. I shall begin the ritual immediately. What is that?! Look! There is a grimling heading this way followed by what appear to be grimling undead. Defend me while I perform the ritual.

You need to kill a possessed grimling at this point along with three Reanimated Grimling Skeletons and get a head and three skulls. You give them all to Spiritist Roleko:

Spiritist Roleko syas 'I am grateful for your assistance. I will be able to complete the rest of the ritual without danger the spirits in the skulls have been calmed. Please take this report of occurrences to Spiritist Cholsa in Shar Vahl.

Now you run to Shar Vahl itself with a report for Spiritist Cholsa. You give it to her:

Scribe Cholsa says 'So it seems there is more truth to the legends of the Rakshasa than is commonly believed. I recall much of the tales of the wicked shaman who sold their souls and bodies to the dark spirits. There is a ritual that must be performed to force the Rakshasa to fully materialize in our realm so that it may be slain. I will write down the instructions for the ritual but the [components] I'm afraid may be difficult to obtain.

You say, 'What is components?

Scribe Cholsa says 'The legends instruct that the ritual requires an Amulet of Golden Rays crafted by a worshiper of the sun, Charcoal that burns with a Black Flame, and the Brain of a creature that can Leech the Thoughts of others. If you manage to procure these items please take them with the instructions I have provided to Spiritualist Roleko at the Grimling Forest Outpost. The Rakshasa shall be summoned and slain there away from the citizens of Shar Vahl.

So now you collect the three items, and give them to Spiritualist Roleko:

Spiritist Roleko syas 'Scribe Cholsa prepares the ritual components according to the ritual instructions. I will need to maintain my concentration to keep the Rakshasa from escaping back into the spirit realm. If you kill him while he is materialized he will be slain and his body will remain material. Bring me the head of the Rakshasa when he is slain.'

At this point, Rakshasa Karwoaro spawns:

Rakshasa Karwoaro says 'Hahahaha. You can not defeat that which is not of this realm of existence! I shall slay your feeble meat shells for your audacity of summoning me here! Hahahaha.

When he dies, we get an interesting set of faction adjustments:

Your faction standing with Order of Autarkic Umbrage got worse.
    Your faction standing with Valdanov Zevfeer got worse.
    Your faction standing with Akheva got better.
    Your faction standing with Shak Dratha got better.

Give the head to Spiritualist Roleko:

Spiritist Roleko says 'The threat of the Rakshasa appears to be eliminated. You have the gratitude of the Dar Khura for your bravery and assistance. Let us be wary however, the Rakshasa gained his power by allying with dark spirits that may not be indifferent to the Rakshasas death.

Jugo! likes this.
  4. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

So how do we understand all of this? Here are my thoughts -

Emissary Oomgado is a member of the Order of Autarkic Umbrage, and is delivering additional supplies of blood to the Coterie of Eternal Night in the castle (to help them grow their forces and their strength).

Who are they? If I had to guess, then the shades are opposed to the Akheva. Given the relatively recent (in terms of Luclin chronology) appearance, probably they come into existence after the civil war among the Akhevans themselves, and are perhaps related to the followers of Akel Ha Ra (this would make them much like the members of the Whisperling faction). Their tool of vengeance would seem to be using Akhevan blood to mutate/corrupt the other inhabitants of Luclin - perhaps to create an army that would destroy Aten'Ha Ra. This process had previously been used by the Akhevans to create their special servants - the shadow tegi: the Shak Dratha (which can be found in several places including the Akheva Ruins and Hollowshade Moor). The Order of Autarkic Umbrage seems to have experimented first with individuals from the caravans traveling to and from Shadow Haven. And it is from these first groups of infected individuals that the Coterie of Eternal Night is born. Among them is Valdanov Zevfeer - who tries to understand the mutation. Eventually Valdanov learns (from the shades) that the mutation comes from Akhevan blood, and arranges to get more from them. He tries the blood on himself (ingesting it directly). And in doing so, mutates further to gain wings (becoming what is called the Vampyre Volatilis). A few others are also given the blood (there are a half dozen others in this group during the Luclin timeframe: Valdanov Zevfeer, Xenithen Sterbla, Heratius Grolden, Trilexior Aeridia, Renaldok Masric, and Gorelaz Verilak.

Eventually two more for epic quests would be added - the Coterie Corruptor and the Coterie insatiate (although the names and brief dialogues that we see from these mobs suggest that they do not fit into the original Luclin lore at all). Valdanov's own strength (he is far stronger than any of the others) would be because he has used more of the blood, and is the one who controls the source of it. But, the other clues point to the fact that the Autarkic Order was experimenting on other populations on Luclin as well. When given initially to the now native kerrans, the outcome was the tormented Vah Shir. Eventually though, the experiments proved successful, and they created a Vah Shir vampyre.

In some ways, this whole story line is not all that unlike the other story lines - the creation of Khati Sha by the Shissar, the modification on a massive scale of the Grimlings by Khati Sha (the tools of his revenge), and so on. So it seems likely that this back story is probably part of the original story line of Luclin. The very limited occurrence of the faction adjustments suggests that it was abandoned, but it was intended to exist as a set of competing factions (Akheva, Greater Akheva, Order of Autarkic Umbrage, Whisperling, Shak Dratha, Gor Taku). And in the end, only very small pieces made it into the final release. This includes some very incomplete references to the whisperlings in Shar Vahl (although the Soul Essence of Aten'Ha Ra is done with whisperling faction). And these reference to Akheva faction and the Order of Autarkic Umbrage.

The whole idea of Akhevan blood (which in the end results in several raid class mobs in Vex Thal) really feels a like something out of Resident Evil (and it's link to an undead plague).

Jugo! likes this.
  5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

interesting. I mourn sometimes for all of the lost plans and ideas that got murdered by suits yelling "Release! Release! OMG hurry up!". They had just done so well with the triadic factions in Velious you'd think they would have devoted a little more time to it.

The other thing this reminded me of was that the Coterie always reminded me of a bunch of Humphrey Bogart clones.

Mokli and nworbetan like this.
  6. Bornex

Bornex Member

Nice writeup and research Cromis always wondered about some underlying factions we seen.

7. Kudadil

Kudadil New Member

Its so nice to see a Cromis of Text (tm) appear in the wild again.

Nice research! The lore is one of the best parts of EQ.

8. Bastette

Bastette Active Member

Did you happen to cast identify on any of the quest pieces?

9. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Even Neo Elrontaur™ took almost an hour to kill Valdanov Zevfeer in TM on Dev. I might have to remake my pally from AK on Dev just to really sock it to him ;)

10. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

/Liked those posts so hard my kb broke.
    I dont keep abreast of what happened on Live very well, but didnt they re-use Katta or the concept for a later on expansion? Did they re-use Katta or just make a new Katta? Either way, they probably didnt tweak Akheva faction when they did that.

As an aside, Interesting factoid about the impossibility of being able to go past kos for Akheva faction. There were alot of those "you hit the faction cap before Ally" factions in the initial 4 eras. No knock on our amazing Devs and Researchers, but it's really too bad we will never have a comprehensive database of that. (Too many possible deity, race and to a lesser degree, class combinations to find them all)

11. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. No. But I can still do that. I haven't been able to get Valdenov's ashes yet on that character. I do have a set of skulls so I can do that one today or tomorrow and report back, and I'll see if I can pick up the ashes to try the other shield. I have a 65 rogue that I am getting shroud for soon - and I may try to see what I can learn from Akheva Ruins also.

Another thing on the list related to all of this is getting a character to maximum faction with Shak Dratha. That's also been on my list of things to do (it's just tedious by not hard - you normally start at dubious) - as well as working out a more complete list of tribal tegi emotes. With the Shak Dratha, there are some camp management things I need to understand a little better just outside of Shar Vahl.

12. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Are you speaking to them in Akhevan ? Ans renthais asir n‘xudrau itraer !

13. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

Ok so ....

I discovered some very interesting things yesterday (not much to add to the lore but a little bit). I did complete the two quest lines. First the lore parts - then the interesting other discussion.

First, the Shield of Bane Warding was pretty straight forward. The items you get come in this order.

Runed Iron Bound Chest (identifies as Chest for containing tormented vah shir skulls)

Inside this container (8 slot) you combine 8 of these:

Tormented Vah Shir Skull (identifies as Tormented Vah Shir Skull)

Combining the box returns:

Sealed Runed Iron Bound Chest (identifies as Chest containing tormented vah shir skulls)

After the turn in, you spawn the possessed courier, who drops (probably the same):

Runed Iron Bound Chest (identifies as Chest for containing tormented vah shir skulls)

When the courier dies, skeletons spawn who all drop:

Reanimated Vah Shir Skull (identifies as Reanimated Vah Shir Skull)

Combining these in the container creates:

Resealed Warded iron Bound Chest (identifies as Chest containing tormented vah shir skulls)

When you give this to Roshawna Rhorer, she returns it along with a note:

Roshawna's Report of Occurrences (identifies as Roshawna's Report of Occurrences). These are taken to the outpost in Grimling Forest. There, when turned in, a Possessed Grimling Spawns along with (3) animated grimlings. They drop a head and skulls:

Possessed Grimling's Head (identifies as Possessed Grimlings Head)
    Reanimated Grimling Skull (identifies as Reanimated Grimling Skull)

On turning all four in, you get:

Rolekos Report of Occurrences (identifies as Rolekos Report of Occurrences)

This is taken to Shar Vahl, and when turned in, you get this:

Rakshasa Materialization Ritual (identifies as Rakshasa Materialization Ritual)

The instructions send you to farm three items (I was lucky - the charcoal took 90 minutes, the brain was a one kill drop, and the Sun priest was up when I got to SD):

Black Flame Charcoal (identifies as Black Flame Charcoal)
    Thought Leech Brain (identifies as Thought Leech Brain)
    Amulet of Golden Rays (identifies as Amulet of Golden Rays)

These are returned to the outpost in GF, which spawns the Rakshasa who drops:

Head of the Rakshasa (identifies as Head of the Rakshasa) which when turned in gives you

Shield of Bane Warding (identifies as Shield of Bane Warding)

This adds very little to anything at all (although it does add some of the lore text from casting identify that wasn't listed anywhere before)

We see much the same thing with the Loyalist Shield quest line. But in the process of going through the quest, I found out two things that I had not noticed earlier. You are first sent to Shadow Haven with:

Request Form (identifies as To Shadow Haven Merchant Record Keeper)

When you hand it in, you are given:

Old Merchant Records (identifies as Old Merchant Records)

This is a book. It reads:

Caravan Departing Shadow Haven Destination Katta Castellum Valdanov Zevfeer - Alchemist Jarkit Geologo - Jeweler Herkal Fantalicus - Herbalist Yalnar Peltskinner - Tanner Derkil Stolarix - Metalworker

Returning this gets you

Katta Castellum Badge of Service (identifies as Katta Castellum Badge of Service)

When you give this to Nathyn, you get back:

Katta Castellum Badge of Service (identifies as Second Badge of Service)
    Report of Nathyns Questioning (identifies as Information for Magistrate Phenic)

Turning these in the report gives:

Orders for Legionnaire Falion (identifies as Orders for Legionnaire Falion)

Handing this in eventually spawns the the Vah Shir Vampyre. You first hand him the Katta Castellum Badge of Service (Second Badge) and he returns:

Katta Castellum Badge of Service (identifies as Third Badge of Service)

Then you kill him and he drops:

Old Bone Key (identifies as Key carved from a bone of a murderer)

You take the key and turn it in to the chest in Katta, spawning the shade who you kill who drops:

Autarkic Shade Lord Belt (identifies as Autarkic Shade Lord Belt)
    Worn Research Book (identifies as A Worn Research Book)

The book is also a book, and reads:

[1] Exerpt of Valdanov Zevfeers Research Journal.

Blood Type Nourishment results...
    Grimling: Negative, this blood is of the least nourishing of all humanoid blood types thus far tested.
    Galorian: The Galorians seem to have a blood composition that enhances a vampyres [2] physical strength for a time but must be injested in moderation as it seems to also have an equally stong
    negative effect on the vampyres mental processes.
    Netherbian: This blood may as well be water. It provides no sustenance.
    Tegi: The bloods of the various tegi sub-species are quite facinating. Although not [3] nourishing enough to sustain a vampyres physical needs the blood seems to increase the vampiric bodies tolerances to
    certain elemental forces while at the same time decreasing others. The effects of the blood are fully dependent on a presumed elemental affinity the various clans of Tegi possess.
    Akheva: I have just begun [4] experimentation with this strange blood. I was not even aware of the existance of the creatures known as Akheva until a short time ago when a Shade paid me a visit offering
    to assist me with my research by providing what he claimed to be the blood of a creature that contains the properties I have been searching for. I have already depleated the [5] supply of blood that the odd Shade provided and have yet to see or hear from him again. Hopefully he will visit again soon with more blood so that I may continue my experimentation.

When the book is turned in, you get:

Instructions for Lathin Firetree (identifies as Instructions for Lathin Firetree)

he provides you with materials to make a Shade Figurine:

Shade Figurine Sketch (identifies as Shade Figurine Sketch)
    Conlegium Enchanted Glaze (identifies as Conlegium Enchanted Glaze)

When made:

Unfired Shade Summoning Figurine (identifies as Unfired Shade Summoning Figurine)

Then:

Shade Summoning Figurine (identifies as Shade Summoning Figurine).

Turning in the figurine causes the event NPCs to spawn, and Lathin returns the figurine. You hand this in and you get:

Enchanted Record of Events (identifies as Enchanted Record of Events)

This also spawns the Shade Lord (who goes through some dialogue and spawns help). Killing all of them gives you:

Autarkic Shade Robe (identifies as Autarkic Shade Robe) X3
    Autarkic Shade Lord Robe (identifies as Autarkic Shade Lord Robe)

Turning in all four robes gets you:

Magus Conlegium Token (identifies as Magus Conlegium Token)

Turning in the Record gets you the final set of instructions. You collect:

Vampyre Volatilis Ashes (identifies as Ashes of Valdenov Zevfeer)

You turn this in with the Magus Conlegium Token and the Katta Castellum Badge of Service (Third Badge) and you get the Loyalist Shield of Honor (identifies as Loyalist Shield of Honor).

So casting identify on everything did very little to help fill in any blanks.

14. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

The other thing was much more interesting. When I sent the main character over to Maiden's Eye, to farm for the charcoal, the first umbrous toiler I killed provided the following faction hits:

Your faction standing with Akheva has been adjusted by -1.
    Your faction standing with Whisperling has been adjusted by 1.
    Your faction standing with Shak Dratha has been adjusted by -1.

This was the first time that character had done anything to generate a negative Akheva faction adjustment (see my previous notes). Not wanting to mess up the faction a bunch on that character, I brought in another character to farm for it. He had never been in any Luclin content. When he made his first kill he got these faction hits:

Your faction standing with Akheva has been adjusted by -800.

After this first kill, all subsequent kills (of umbrous toilers) yielded the following:

Your faction standing with Akheva has been adjusted by -1.

I continued to farm on that character, and I brought in yet a third character (who had also never been to Lucliin) to kill a single umbrous toiler with the same results (the same 800 point Akheva faction hit). I then took him over to the fort in Grimling Forest and parked him to help kill the Rakasha later in the quest line. There is just the single mob in that encounter. The kill (the Rakshasa) awarded the main character with the following:

Your faction standing with Order of Autarkic Umbrage has been adjusted by -2.
    Your faction standing with Coterie of the Eternal Night could not possibly get any worse.
    Your faction standing with Valdanov Zevfeer has been adjusted by -1.
    Your faction standing with Akheva has been adjusted by 1.
    Your faction standing with Shak Dratha has been adjusted by 1.

This was expected. This character had been at the Akheva faction cap and taken a single point hit with the umbrous toiler. He then needed a single point to get it back to the cap (and in fact, a little later, when I killed the imprisoned shade in the Loyalist shield quest line, he saw this (as expected):

Your faction standing with Order of Autarkic Umbrage has been adjusted by -10.
    Your faction standing with Coterie of the Eternal Night could not possibly get any worse.

So all of that was what I expected all along. What was interesting was that after the Rakshasa dies, the second character, who had only seen the single large (-800) hit to his Akheva faction got these adjustments:

Your faction standing with Order of Autarkic Umbrage has been adjusted by -2.
    Your faction standing with Coterie of the Eternal Night has been adjusted by -1.

And this means that going into the Rakshasa fight, the second character was already at the faction cap for Akheva.

I have never seen anything like this (detailed in this way). And it leads me to think the following occurs in the programming when there is a faction adjustment:

The actual faction adjustment is calculated. First, there is the difference between the current faction value and the faction cap. If that difference is greater than the database faction adjustment assigned to the action (killing a mob, quest reward, etc), then the full value from the database is applied. If it is greater than the difference, then the difference between the cap and the current value becomes the value of the faction adjustment. If the difference is less than 1, then you get the message that:

Your faction standing with X could not possibly get any better

So, when you turn in the Rakshasa head, you get this message:

Your faction standing with Dar Khura has been adjusted by 50

If your faction standing with Dar Khura was within 50 of the cap (say you needed 32 more points) then you would get the message that:

Your faction standing with Dar Khura has been adjusted by 32

This occurs in more or less the same way on the other end of the spectrum (dealing with getting to the negative faction cap).

At any rate, what I suspect that I am seeing is that the Akheva faction does not start at the cap. it starts at 800 over the cap. When you get the first positive hit, it resets it to the cap, and gives you the message that it couldn't get any better. But, this is actually an 800 point faction drop. So the first character, when he killed Emissary Oomgado, and got the faction adjustment (+1) to Akheva, actually ended up with an 800 point faction loss. But, in the system message, it shows up as "could not possibly get any better" since this text processes when the real faction gain is less than 1 (there are probably a few different ways to make this work in the code that would allow you to see this message even when actually experiencing a huge faction loss).

It also explains why a character could take a -800 faction hit, and still be at the cap. The first hit happens not from killing the mob, but from going from the starting value to the real cap (which is only first checked the first time an adjustment is made to the faction - so it can sit way over cap forever until you end up with an adjustment to that faction). Since that -800 is much greater than the -1 that triggered the adjustment, the only one we see is the -800 to get back to the cap. And since this occurs in the context of a faction loss (instead of a faction gain), it means that there is a different function for losses and gains, and so the system message for a loss allows it to display the full loss caused by adjusting the faction to the cap. So, whether you kill a mob, and get a faction hit that is negative, or kill a mob and get a positive faction hit, and if the faction is over the cap, then the first interaction with this faction resets a character to the cap. And only on the second kill for a negative faction hit, does it drop below the cap.

So not only is everyone KoS to begin with, they are KoS when they are 800 faction above the cap ....

Does anyone have any other data to help verify this? Or suggestions about any other factions that may have starting values (negative or positive) that outside of the upper and lower caps?

For the record, I am not sure this really matters all that much. This is not a used faction in terms of game play. We have known for a while about factions that start below the lower cap, and EQEMU deals with that particular condition. But I am not sure that we know of any other factions that start out over the upper cap, and I have no idea (and not a huge amount of time right now to look) to see if EQEMU deals with this over cap issue in an appropriate way. I also don't know if EQLive reflects the way that this faction was handled at the time we played, although this sort of thing doesn't feel out of place from my experience ...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  15. Cromis

Cromis Well-Known Member

For Neea,

As we get told by one of the Akhevans who is a prisoner in the Plane of Justice:

Under the rule of the xenophobic Atenha'Ra, even speaking to a sivuela like myself is cause for death among the Akhevans ...