Advice Pls - Where to 3-box grind XP 54+

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trybil, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Trybil

Trybil Member

Hi yas,
    I have 3 level 54 chars (Pal/Dru/Enc) and a few more in their 40s. I have hit such a wall making leveling progress that I haven't been playing much of late. Any ideas where best to push the xp-bar forward when I have an hour or two to play on my 3-box?
    Thanks!
    -Trybil

2. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Nobles or the hole.

3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You don't mention where you've been getting exp currently?

4. Trybil

Trybil Member

I had been killing skellys in DL pyramids, killing HGs, Kael entry guards for faction/xp, drakes in CS, all of which are LB and little xp now... I have been in Hole entrance, maybe should muster the courage to go in deeper with my 3-some. I know about Nobles, might be time to forget about faction... Looking for more options if any to help the tedium. Thanks for any ideas!

5. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Oh yea bro. Gotta get deeper in these dungeons. Worse comes to worse you pay a necro for summon. Howling stones. Sebilis. Got a nice piece of gear you been thinking about camping? Go for it and don't think about the xp bar.

Oiwon likes this.
  6. Yaximus

Yaximus Member

I'd do Seb bugs, slow but you'll make plenty of $$ doing it.

Oiwon likes this.
  7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

What he said.

8. Loraen

Loraen Well-Known Member

Your title is already wrong. You will get far, far more xp by pairing up with someone else and taking advantage of the huge xp bonus for groups of 4+. Plus the more the merrier! The worst part about boxing is all of the people playing a nominally multiplayer game by themselves.

9. Trybil

Trybil Member

I appreciate your comment, the most fun I had was in the old days of original EQ in a good group of 6 human players. I don't prefer boxing, and I don't like to box at all when playing with others. But try to find 5 other non-boxiing players for a group on short notice and see how impractical your suggestion is however...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  10. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

If charming I'd go seb as well. Bugs, disco, chef plenty of camps and people usually there.

11. Loraen

Loraen Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I meant duoing 3+3, or even 3+1. I leveled up with Fieldfare and Khaine and Monkiatso. When you box you can pretty much ignore class issues as you will always have something reasonable, so it's just a matter of finding even a few people.

Finding a full group of single boxers would indeed be hard, although it isn't impossible in the 50s. There was a channel for this but IIRC without Fansy nothing really happens there now.

12. Calid

Calid New Member

Exactly the same chars here.
    Generally I am not too much concerned about xp,will be 60 long enough. :)
    Always going for item drops(silver chitin bracers from frenzy for example),cash (items),faction or TS stuff which may sell in Bazaar or I think can use
    later (always have shawl 8 in my mind).

Doing mostly:
    Velks,safe hall near Frenzy,totally safe to log out there,2 nameds close,3 if you're feeling ambitious,velium,crystalline silk(s) and lately I even got a spell from a
    trash mob there to my surprise.
    Seb entrance,frogs drop gems and spells occasionally,possibly ODS (though I begin to beleive thats a rumour only),problem here is lots of people
    moving through,messing up the spawn cycle,lots of annoying caster mobs,if it werent for the ODS I wouldnt go there.
    Wakening Lands,Geos,very quiet,almost never anyone there,they drop a lot (much more than frogs in Seb) cash gems and jewelry plus Velious quest
    armour gems.Opinions vary,but I think much better cash than HGs in the long run.
    Somewhat related to WL - Kael what I call crossroads by myself,near 4 on eqatlas map,end of tunnel coming from EW,has 1 green roamer,ahead
    some dark blue *storm* giants,not the best xp,but *storm* giants => 47 can drop quest armour,watch out for Captain Bvellos,level 53,hits
    for 245,might be too much when alone there.No cash (items) to speak of,but faction and chance of quest armour,I like it.
    Karnors entrance,very safe,few cash drops like gems,might get lucky and get a Jade mace from the captain romaing on the balcony ahead,no spells.
    I do it for a change occasionally,but mostly grouped with a friend or 2 moving deeper in.
    Skyfire near BW zoneline,not the best xp but very high level spells can drop from trash there,lengthy pulls,a bit boring,I rather do Velks or Sebilis.

Look me up in game,though I'm euro and our playtimes may vary.

Ingaril / Uland / Calid

13. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I thought that too after spending 55-60+ in Seb and then a few months later I got an ODS from a Dar Knight standing at the entrance ramp.

14. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I did Sebilis through 55~. I think afterwards I did some Velketors, some Plane of Mischief, some WL Geonids, some WW animals (was doing Shawl 8).

I'm a big fan of PoMischief for 55-60 range because it requires a large amount of random killing to get some cards, but it also is pretty decent EXP if you're using a charmed pet (or 2) or an epic mage. Obviously it has its drawbacks like getting there in the first place and having your Melee locked there due to inability to bind. Would be even more annoying without a Cleric though.

Beyond that Velketors is easy if you are doing spiders or upper dogs, but slow. WL Geonids are also very easy and drop decent gems/armor gems.

I bet Howling Stones/Charasis is probably good in this level range, but it's also sort of tedious especially if you don't have a puller to break rooms.

I really hate the 55-60 leveling grind though. Takes too long for how many viable group EXP options there are during the era. Repeat the same group content for far too long. Thus AE grouping is incredible $$$.

15. Opttimus

Opttimus New Member

My toons are currently 55, 54, and 54 (ranger, enchanter, druid) and I had a similar feeling, I was doing velketors and the hole a lot by myself. One way I had a little fun was to explore a bit like crawling to top shelf for example but the killing was slow and labor intensive. I found that grouping with others is definitely the way to go, faster kills, more fun and less feeling like you are doing work or not making progress quick enough.

Places to do this are the high end dungeons from any expansion, i.e. the hole, seb, karnors, chardok, HS, velketors, maybe kael or sirens too. Also send me a tell if you see me in game I would be down to team up!

16. Pane

Pane Member

The hole is definitely going to be some of your best exp, you can (generally) invis past all the mobs at zone in which are going to probably be LB / Green to you now or very soon and just drop down. There's a safe spot down below, not online now so can't show you exact location, but you can stay till lvl 60 right down there (but this will be SUPER boring if you're anything like me).
    But it seems like one of your issues is probably having a spot thats quick to get to and do your exping for 1-2 hrs and then log off and this would be great for that.

crawling the zone is super fun but probably not so much if you're 3 boxing. There's a great healer item that drops from a named Rat (very rare though) that is pullable from this location.

Find someone that knows the zone to kind of show you the ropes and you'll be rolling there no problemo

17. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

I just finished 54 on my War/Clr/Dru box. Was a grind for sure. I agree with much of the advice. Find some gear you want from a camp you can handle, and do the camp. For me it started with Crystal Fang and a couple of the +9 WIS shields he drops (not because I needed the WIS, but it's 100% cooler looking than the Testament of Vanear.) The crawl to get to the top of the tower is fun to learn and master (invis + pacify for a corpse recovery was an interesting experience). About 1/3 of the time I logged in, there was someone else with the same idea that I could group with just doing the same thing (/wave Opttimus). Maybe one of of 20 times all the named were camped, and I was just grinding the entrance.

I tried the Hole too. Had some success initially. Then I had one of those summoning muddites at 25% and set my Druid to Snare. He resisted enough times in a row to agro and kill my Druid. In the time it took me to say "aww, shucks", the muddite hit 20% health and ran away, leaving my Warrior and Cleric all alone. The rest didn't go well. Halfling guts all over the walls. I'm telling you, it was a mess.

Sycamore likes this.
  18. Trybil

Trybil Member

Lots of constructive advice, thanks! Goes to show what a great community we have :)