Takp newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OuterChimp, Apr 15, 2021.

1. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

So, I played EQ way back in teh day (2000 to 2004 or so). This past year I switched to p99 and I loved it as it reminded me so much of the EQ I knew back in the day. Spent most of my time solo'ing my necro and twinking out my alts. In pops my IT folks and now I can't run p99 on my laptop anymore as it runs off of a .bat file.

I found TAKP and am up and running with one main account and the 3 sub accounts for characters.

I've never box'd before and don't even know where to start.

I'm sure if I was familiar with this site already, i could probably find out the info, but hopefully my question, and your answers will help someone who is also new to this.

I use a laptop to play. Any good recommendations for a guide to get me started on switching screens and such? Does a hot key work across two windows?

What would be a good starter duo/trio? Something simple to start, I was thinking a warrior and cleric till I get down the ability to box.

A little off topic, but how come I couldn't find the "strafe right" or "strafe left" keys when I clicked Alt-O?

Thanks guys/gals.

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Our client is quite a bit older than P99's and as such is much more classic as a result. We're missing some things like that. Hope you didn't get too attached to the scroll wheel camera. I'm a mac player so I'll let others chime in on the Windows stuff.

3. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

One forum account to rule them all. Under the forum account, Ten accounts, with up to 8 playable 'toons on each account.

I am assuming you know that you can only run/play/level 3 toons at a time.

IF you choose, a fourth can be logged at same time as the 3 'toons you are leveling up. It can only be a level one trader ( restricted to POK, Bazaar and Nexus ) and you have to flag that account as a trader account. Once flagged as a trader, that account can never revert.

Standard advice is to get a druid going, so she/he can power level the others !

Oh, and welcome to our world )

PS Autojoin Alliance and watch for MGBs to be announced.

Ripwind likes this.
  4. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

thanks Folks! I apologize for my newbness, but how the heck do i join or talk in /alliance chat?

5. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

/join alliance

or /autojoin alliance ( this should make alliance chat available on every toon, every time you log in )

Sometimes. Alliance fails on one or two of my toons. Not sure why.

6. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

if youre on a PC, in the client download folder theres a program called hotkeynet, you run that program then the default to switch between windows is numpad 1-3, you can change that, for example if youre on a laptop without a numberpad you have to go into the hotkeynet script and change it from numpad1 or whatever to your desired keys, I have NO IDEA how to do that stuff i just use the defaults, but i would recommend asking in discord or searching on the forums for a guide or preconfigured file to download.

7. Kriptik

Kriptik New Member

Like everyone said, Hotkey.net is the answer if you're on PC. Changing the keys isn't too difficult. Everyone does it a little different. I have 6 extra mouse buttons on the side of my mouse where my thumb is and i use 3 of those to switch, one for each client.

Enchanter + Cleric or druid is my advice. Personally, I would go Cleric / Enchanter. The amount of power that duo unlocks is magnitudes above anything else. You can AE for plat, PL toons insanely quickly, best buffs in the game and they're effective with almost no gear and rezzes.

You can also pair literally any other class with that combo and be effective.

Other than that, play what you want. Almost an infinite amount of combo trios that work.

8. kraks

kraks New Member

Not to hi-jack the thread, but as a relatively new player who is just breaking into the 50s, could you expand on the PL process using a cleric/enchanter? I have that in my trio and want to get some other toons up but not exactly sure how to do it. Stay out of group and just heal/slow mobs? Leverage some PBAE stuff?

9. Inverse

Inverse New Member

My main trio is DRU/CLR/ENC so far it's woprking out pretty well.

10. Break

Break People Like Me

I know the Grimling infinity spawn is a popular spot. Once your enchanter is 52, you can perma-stun the grimlings. I'm assuming the cleric pbae is powerful enough to hold that down at a similar level, but I've never tried.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    OuterChimp likes this.
  11. OuterChimp

OuterChimp Active Member

As someone who has literally never played an enchanter (except to get one to 8 to do the stein of moggok quests), are there any good guides, or posts, or helpful advice on what my enchanter would do for me leveling up? I don't mean this to be an enchanter thread, just a very basic, what the heck can a chanter do for my starting off trio thread.

Thanks guys/gals.

12. Kriptik

Kriptik New Member

Depends what class your are trying to level.
    From like 1-15 i just buy a DS pot and take the toon to kurns. Click the DS on your cleric and run around and pull stuff. Put a lvl 1 Bard or wizard + PL toon in a group. AE the group once with bard or wizard and wait for them to kill themselves

Next, if its a melee toon ... Go farm 10-20 Holgresh mojo sticks with the AE clicks on them. If its a toon with an AE, skip this step.

Go to whatever zone you like, pull train with cleric and DA (you'll want either run3 or a sow pot), AE stun with enchanter, AE damage with cleric until mobs are almost dead. Camp / Zone cleric. Finish the pack off with mojo sticks or the toons AE damage spell.

Get a faithstone for your cleric. Most of them port you right next to vendors. when your sticks are out of charges, bind your cleric close to your camp and Faithstone to starting city, recharge sticks, gate back to PL spot and resume.

Sticks are stupid cheap to recharge, like 5p a shot.

There's probably tweaks or more efficient ways but this is what I do.

OuterChimp likes this.
  13. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Starting off Levels 1-20:

Enchanter should always summon the latest pet they have. Whenever you pull a mob into camp on your tank or puller, make sure to let your enchanter step into combat, and eat 1 hit from the mob forcing the animation pet to assist, then back the enchanter out.

Keep Mesmerize (level 4) up. Use it to Mez adds on your pulls. It lasts 24 seconds so it needs to be refreshed often but will land on everything you fight for many levels.

In the 10-20s you may start venturing into dungeons where Pacify/Lull spells become more valuable for splitting rooms. On this server the only things checked for resists on Lulls is level differential and charisma. Stick to using lull on blue cons and you should be fine. Trying it on yellow-reds is likely to not work out well for you. So if you have a room of 3 mobs two blue and a yellow I would lull the blues and pull the yellow.

In later levels the enchanter slow is very strong for reducing incoming damage on your tank. Level 24 slow is decent for run of the mill grouping. Many Enchanters even use this spell at level 60 for regular trash mobs because its 50% slow vs 70% on the level 57 slow. It also costs less than half the mana and casts almost twice as fast.

Charming if handled properly can provide the strongest tank and strongest DPS in some situations. It has its risks of course and there are ways to mitigate those risks with your other characters depending on their classes. If you box a chanter you don’t have to charm but it definitely makes things go much faster if you’re capable of handling charm breaks.

Beyond that enchanters get Breeze starting at 16, clarity at 29, clarity 2 at 54 and KEI at 60. Mana Regen buffs definitely help out your priest in your trio keep up with constant pulls. Though on this server many people will MGB KEI for newer players so you may not use those lower versions much. Enchanters get melee haste at 16. Unfortunately these spells only last about 5 minutes until you get to around 39 when they start lasting closer to 15 minutes. I’d probably not worry a huge amount about maintaining haste on your tank in your group until your 40s simply due to duration on the spell.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    showstring and OuterChimp like this.
  14. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

It really depends on your trio. But in the early levels, just use your highest level animation and do crowd control (mezzing) and pulling (using lull). Get hit once let your animation step in.

Charming isn't worth it as a trio in the beginning is my experience. My trio is 30 now and I still barely charm, just easier and faster to just let the enchanter buff and do crowd control.

First 20 levels go fast anyways, enjoy it, coming from p99 you'll enjoy the pace of leveling with a trio :).

15. relentlessimp

relentlessimp Member

A note on mezzes, since they were mentioned: Before Glamour of Kintaz (level 54) all of your mezzes affect up to level 55. Glamour of Kintaz mezzes up to level 57, and Rapture (level 59, unresistable) mezzes anything up to level 61.