7-17-2106 (hotfix)

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Jul 17, 2016.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Code:
    Cavedude

* Removed all references to NPCTypedata_ours as it was created, and never accessed. It was causing a zone crash when deleted in the NPC destructor, so hopefully that will be fixed.

Script:
    Robregen

* Fixed the "Cure for Lempeck Hargrin" quest where it was not giving reward.

2. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Server seems less stable since the hotfix. I haven't seen zones crashing, but folks in Sebilis report high lag and fairly frequent desynchs. Dunno if other zones are affected.

3. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

well if the zone aren't crashing then it's more stable. Seems it's the connection that is not stable.

4. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

The chances of this change causing desyncs and net instability is very low I think. I can explain what I did as it's very simple.

So when any NPC is created all of their information gets stored in a pointer called NPCType. In cases of any NPC that follows a player (pets, Eye of Zomm) a second pointer called NPCTypedata_ours was being created that simply was a clone of NPCType. It never got used in our code, just created and then deleted when the NPC despawns. This was causing a zone crash, I assume the code was trying to delete NPCTypedata_ours and it was already deleted. Rob looked at the EQEmu code, and found that NPCTypedata_ours only got used by their Mercs. Since we'll never have them on this server it was safe to remove that to prevent the zone crash.

I've confirmed NPCType is still being deleted when a NPC goes poof and there is no memory leak. Memory wise the server is fine. However, the chat server seems to be going nuts using a ton of CPU. I'll mention that in IRC.

5. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

problem still happening, fighting Pharla Dar today nuked the zone

possible issues: pet dieing, dragon charm