5-18-2016

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, May 18, 2016.

1. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

I agree, but based on logs Ravenwing is correct. Also, the client has a string for "You have been healed for" but not "You have healed for" The code was previously using a made up message. Even though I'd like the message being a healer, I have to stand firm on this so I don't let my bias interefere with our goal of reproducing AK.

Mokli likes this.
  2. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

I disabled character moves in and out of trader accounts to avoid potential exploiting that can bring.

surron likes this.
  3. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Bumloots meet Bumsloots

Verdent likes this.
  4. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Has the stance of 'reproducing the original AK but fixing obvious glaring errors/bugs that existed there' not the mission statement?

5. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

we would only fixed glaring bugs and errors that affects gameplay and balances. This is not one of them.

6. cavedude

Personally, I am trying to recreate AK exactly as it was. My only concession is PoP, as it was broken and incomplete and recreating that exactly would be stupid. Many of the things I have been asked to "fix" have a rule to toggle, so that when we do eventually open our source back up anybody can grab it, toggle the rule and have the AK correct mechanic. I don't mind fixing things provided the AK correct functionality is also preserved.

7. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

My philosophy is make it exactly like AK, unless its a real bug, breaking content/quests, or making things totally unbeatable, like some of the pop stuff.

Just because SOE changed it later, or claimed a feature was never intended to be used a certain way, does not necessarily make it a "bug".

The features, are what make AK ... well, AK.

That solves asking me for my opinion ...

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Just want to quote this for things like... oh idk... IVA agro ;)

9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Any clue just how much aggro?

10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Somewhere between SOE and Torven ;)

11. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Just messin' around

12. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

IVA aggro was much, much higher than other instant click affects, and Sony corrected it within days after discovering we were using it.

Things like FD and even DoT kiting were unintended but had beneficial gameplay. IVA click aggro is terribly detrimental to gameplay. Really, shakerpage is a better example as it wasn't nerfed until a couple of years after AK's timeframe and allowed for even faster leveling than the trick I pulled, and was done all the time on AK whereas my trick was only done by people in the last couple of months since nobody knew about it, and shakerpage was less detrimental to gameplay.

Nobody is going to get their way on every issue. I'm on the losing side of votes more often than I'm not. Frankly I don't care much if this heal message were put in or not and would favor putting in DoT messages and third party DD messages.

13. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

for what it's worth, I think that would be neat. Being able to see all the damage that's being done, and all the heals being done, makes it way easier to parse and/or find bugs if they're present. Right now for instance, burning affliction could be broken and I bet no one would have noticed since you can't see your dot damage. Being able to see HoT messages was the only reason we know that imp healing + mana pres was adding healing to HoTs as well. It's not a big deal either way though, just throwin' in my 2 cents.

When raaj heard about that IVA ring exploit and the nerf was incoming, we decided to go to plane of fire c2/field and test it. I pulled pretty much all of c2 (minus the casters) and all the field on my monk and spammed IVA agro with a cleric tossing HoT's spot heals on me when needed. Then I pulled them in and whirlwinded with dathor great hammer and raaj shakerpaged. We were able to do that pull 3 or 4 times getting 20+ aa per pull. We only had 2 nights to mess around with it before the nerf was due to hit, but I think we got around 100 aa's. I am definitely all for nerfing those things here. I could see it getting out of hand pretty quickly.

Verdent likes this.
  14. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

IVA aggro sounds game breaking.

Gonna have to agree with Torven on this being bad.

15. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Is there a list of these 'features' unique to AK posted anywhere?

If not can someone make one? It would be nice to know considering a large portion of the population (i'd dare assume majority since we've been added to the main EQEmu lost) are here because this is a stable PoP era locked server and not for AK nostalgia.

I doubt I'm the only one who would hate to put the time getting a guild from classic to Vex-Thal only to find out that on AK enchanters aren't supposed to get messages saying mez has worn off or something similar.

Don't get me wrong, the work you guys do on this server is amazing and I wish you guys could get $ for all of the work you do. It's just seeing this blind justification for healers not being able to see how much they are healing for makes one wonder what other basic mechanics are not going to be around later on.

16. robregen

our client has eqstr_en text file and there's a list of text that could and more likely be used for this client. I see 3 messages for mesmerize:

239 Your target cannot be mesmerized.
    240 Your target cannot be mesmerized (with this spell).
    264 Your target has resisted your attempt to mesmerize it.

as far as "worn off" message goes. it would be obvious.

there's some worn off message I see here:

273 Your charm spell has worn off.
    274 Your fear spell has worn off.
    436 Your %1 spell has worn off of %2.
    437 Your %1 spell has worn off.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  17. robregen

our client has 17044 diferent message.
    live client has 35153.

18. cavedude

Give this thread a read: http://www.takproject.net/forums/in...f-things-specific-to-alkabor.2138/#post-10847

Many of the things mentioned in that list were not specific to Al'Kabor, either. There are things that existed on PC live during the same era and simply have been forgotten about over time. This healing message for example did not exist during our era on PC. It was a message added by EQEmu (not us) that our clients have no string for.

The whole point of this project is to re-create Al'Kabor, and it was quirky.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  19. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

I hope my post didn't come off as ungrateful, just want to know what to expect so it can soften the blow. ;)

20. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

There actually is a way. Well, not for ALL the work these guys do. Ask around .

21. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I don't get paid. This is a hobby.

End of story.

22. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Probably it's six-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other for the people who don't like it, but I'll point out that this "AK quirk" - like nearly all AK's supposed quirks - is just the state of the game in late 2002.

Some of those quirks may feel genuinely weird even to people who played EQPC during the PoP era, because they were snap-second mechanics that got fixed or changed on PC as soon as discovered and happened to be preserved in amber on AK. This one isn't one of those, though: it's just the way the game worked for its first few years.

Which isn't to say that anybody carried our client's eqstr_en file down a mountain on stone tablets. I kind of like keeping things original, but I won't cry any tears if Torven gets his way and we start seeing all kinds of out-of-era damage and healing reports.

23. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Feel free to pay me.

24. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Do you guys think the druid mini-rune DS AA not going away when you added another rune was game breaking? A 650 point DS that didn't fade after the first hit like it should have?

25. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

I guess I feel this is in the same realm as /who all guild. If I understand correctly /who all guild on AK did not give back a full list but having it give back the full list is a definite quality of life improvement.

If I remember correctly it was Ravenwing who brought up wanting to have the full list on /who all guild...

Seeing or not seeing how much you healed for is a convenience/quality of life issue and I feel it is a definite improvement to see how much you healed for.

I understand there are a lot of people that want old AK but that simply is not going to happen.

Fixing/not allowing some of the obvious game breaking bugs that were on old AK drastically changes the server and imo will make this server better.

If we are trying to improve on old AK then why not improve on old AK?

From a consistency standpoint why are we improving the information we are getting from /who all guild but not improving the information we are getting as healers?

26. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I'll be very sad if WotW tanking isn't a thing here. All it really did was make farming old content easier. Anything in PoP, and any meaningful raid target would eat through the Enchanter's first runes in the first round, plus once they removed instant cast rune it became even more vulnerable to falling.

WotW without that is a joke of an AA. Spend I believe it's 9 AAs, for 650 DMG every 4 minutes. 2.7 DPS if applied religiously on refresh. Compared to the 9 AAs you could get MGB, Dire Charm, SotW, Innate Camo, etc.

I liked it having that small niche where it was useful, and that it wasn't useful in the most current content.

27. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Luck for you guys, there is an awesome dev team. We are pretty good at telling what is game breaking or not.

There may be some quality of life things added. Like /who all guild showing more players.

There may be things not added. Like Dot damage. Thats not going in. The heal amount messages are gone. They never should have been there in the first place.

If this upsets you. Sorry.

Haynar

Ghakim likes this.
  28. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying!

29. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

It still absorbs the first hit which on some mobs is a big deal. You are right, it is somewhat worthless when it isn't broken. While it may not trivialize the highest end content having a druid/chanter/cleric trio be able to take out most of the game really changes the game and economy. A good trio would be able to do that anyways but there might be a slight challenge, not just mobs running up and killing themselves while you chain rune.

30. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Somewhat worthless is a massive understatement haha. It has 0 purpose if you cannot use this mechanic.

It did not absorb the first hit at all. It was a 1 point tune. This is how WoTW worked:

It was a DS with a 1 point rune. If a mob hits you for 5, and you have WotW on, it would hit you for 4. Not 0. Likewise if Quarm hit you for 3000 and you had WoTW on it hit you for 2999. The reason it worked was because of the slot of the rune, it ate through enchanter's self rune and targetable STR Rune above WotW. PC side resolved this eventually by applying "hit counters" to certain buffs like temporary DSes, mitigation buffs and runes.

A Druid/enchanter/cleric combo can already take out most of the game content. This just allows you to do a different style of killing versus slow/pet tank stuff. I can off the top of my head, think of about a small handful of places where I used it frequently instead of charming. Those were mostly VT Shard Camps and Kunark Raid mobs. All of which I did without WotW tanking, it just gets boring doing the same style of killing over and over, having a different way to mix it up was fun.