11-9-2022

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Nov 9, 2022.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Code:
    Torven

* The low level player damage being too high bug that I accidentally put in last patch is now fixed.
    * Pets no longer take non-enrage ripostes from NPCs.
    * The /corpse command now has a X/Y range limit of 50 units and a maximum Z range was put in place in a handful of zones.
    Haynar
    * Fixed some issues with raid looter window, when leader assigned looters.
    * Added some checks for sending HP Updates to clients, to ensure they have finished connecting.
    * Added another fix for sending packets to raids, making sure Client::Client has finished connecting to the zone.
    * Added checks for ensuring client has finished zoning, for group spells, on a raid group. This make sure we aren't sending spells to client too early, before they finish the connecting to zone process.
    * Integrated the FaceTarget function better with the navigation system, so mobs should face their target better, when not moving. Like charm pets.

Database:
    Robregen / Elroz

* Qeynos newbie yards: Fixed the spawn status for Djerr Darkpaw / PH. Added a skeleton / zombie as a PH for chance to spawn during nighttime. Also fixed up loots.

Script:
    Elroz

* Finished Kael faction dialogues and quests updates. This pass of velious quests/dialogue is done, moving onto stonebrunt/warrens/jaggedpine next.
    Notable quest changes this update :
    * Circlet of Falinkan is doable at kindly instead of warmly.
    * Handing Tormax a Dain/Yelinak head gives +500 faction instead of 50.
    Robregen
    * Grobb - correct the turn in for what Ranjor was asking for.

Mechaike, iraxion, Linkamus and 3 others like this.
  2. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Maximum z range for corpse moving is harsh cus of Sol Ro click up being a buggy mess.

Toomuch likes this.
  3. SpiderMonkey

SpiderMonkey New Member

Would it be possible to clarify which zones have a z-axis corpse distance change?

Toomuch likes this.
  4. Lavittz01

Lavittz01 Well-Known Member

true. I also dont ever remember any iteration of EQ on any server that had a z corpse drag range. buzzkill

5. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

!!!

Toomuch and Manstache like this.
  6. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Does the no riposte on pets affect charms?

7. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

yes

DubRemix88 and Mechaike like this.
  8. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I also fixed the unrest basement pathing issue in this patch

9. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Are the /corpse changes intended to squash exploits/trickery or is this something from AK?

10. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

/corpse was extended to 100 units in a 2004 patch. Old posts were discovered which proved a Z axis limit existed for at least some areas as well.

It just looked very fishy to me so I/we looked for evidence and found some.

Mechaike likes this.
  11. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Yeah the 50 range is annoying. Cannot even drag a corpse properly as a rogue anymore cus me moving forward spamming /corpse still has the corpse get out of range.

12. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

The client reduces position updates to 1 per second when running in a straight line. Just normal run speed will make it very impossible to drag. So try to do little turns as much as you can to keep updates going out. Its a crappy change. But doing that will make it easier to drag.

13. Savok

Savok Active Member

Just not going to /corpse as a Bard anymore.

14. JerimShadowreaver

JerimShadowreaver Active Member

why stop the corpses from being dragged more than 50 units? I mean they alrdy tether to graveyard. The 50 unit change seems to pretty much stop the ability to drag a corpse regardless of why so corpse dragging has been removed it would seem.

15. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I've always thought corpse dragging range was far longer than it was on AK. +1 to AKuraccy

16. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Corpse drag range is dumb, but we do have a bug stuns are generating 1/3 the aggro they used to. A paladin chain stunning cannot out aggro a warrior with shit weps in Plane of Earth.

17. Frosst

Frosst Well-Known Member

Found a log from AK (65 bard) where I am dragging a corpse at full speed with Selo's. Requiring people to slow down to drag corpses does not seem Akkurate:

18. Devour_Souls

I think that the 50 unit range is correct. But corpse dragging is not right. It appears that the server is refusing the reposition of the corpse. The client thinks that it should be moving it, because the corpse moves, but the server appears to be keeping it in place.

19. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I’ve not tested the new drag range but I would agree that Selos bards didn’t have to stop or slow down to continually drag a single corpse.

Using a hotkey for double dragging I think that may have been the case.

Double dragging hotkey for a rogue with SoW or FoE should also be viable at least it was on AK.

John Stark and Draeko like this.
  20. Frosst

Frosst Well-Known Member

Corpse dragging seemed to work fine for me tonight. Did not test with SoW or Selos.

21. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Double dragging hotkey did not work for me with Selos on bard, out ran my ability to drag my own corpse. You have to get soooo close now to the corpse, well within mobs agro range most of the time. If that’s how it was on AK then so be it but I would think there would be logs about the pain of dragging corpses, average peeps not being able to get close enough to corpse, etc.

22. Palarran

Palarran Well-Known Member

Since the main issue seems to be with dragging corpses while moving, could the /corpse range check if either the player's current or previous location is in range? Or something along those lines? That way the player still had to be within 50 units of the corpse within the last fraction of a second, but corpse dragging wouldn't be affected quite as much if the server doesn't update a moving player's location precisely when the Al'Kabor server would have.

23. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I am skeptical about the comments claiming that this worked different on AK. The only explanation I can come up with that would make it easier to drag is that more range allows more leeway so that you lose the corpse less often, and people have gotten used to the incorrectly guessed longer range that was set here for years. It's possible that the range we have now is too short, but even with 100 range you could certainly lose corpses with selos if you don't spam the button perfectly. Aiming for that to work with 50 range, I can only assume people stopped/turned, corpsed, moved, stopped again, not ran in a straight line with selos, because it just simply can't work reliably with 50 range. I'm willing to check out more things but the difference between 50 and say 60 range would be hard to measure from comments that are exaggerating to begin with.

Also please keep in mind that this isn't about making a convenient or quality of life feature, it's about trying to make it the way real everquest worked, the one we all fell in love with. It is unfortunate that this was not implemented for so long and players came to rely on it, and are now calling it a nerf, but a lot of the best things in this game are based on things you CAN'T do, not on things you can. Rogues can be more useful if people can't just /corpse themselves out from under a boss, and that's how we remember rogues - they can get your corpse when you can't get it yourself.

The kind of stuff that would help confirm the exact range would be if there happens to be some place that we know was possible to /corpse to/from on AK and is not possible to do now with the adjusted range. Then we could check it out and see if it was maybe 55 or 75 or whatever. 50 was Torven's educated guess - we can't know for sure from logs or old stories. Even if the range were 75 you'd still lose corpses with selos.

24. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

also the raid looter window works great now!

showstring likes this.
  25. Devour_Souls

The issue is not with the range, but with the client position update interval. As I said above, the client believes that is should be able to summon the corpse, but the server is rejecting the reposition. This did not happen on AK.

26. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

You're right that it's the update interval. When you spam the hotkey the corpse does get summoned several times, but to the exact same spot as before, until the position is updated again. If you try running in circles while summoning the corpse you will see that it moves more often, because when you turn it updates position more frequently than when you continue to run straight without changing your heading. This is why you have to turn before you cast when kiting, so that your casting position is updated before your cast beings, otherwise the position would become updated mid cast and you would end up interrupted. Zig zagging while dragging a corpse with selos also works. There is also the natural delay - even if the game were such that positions are updated 50 times a second somehow, when you're moving you're always in different place on your screen than you are on the server, and that makes this more noticeable since it's a chatty activity that involves several round trips to see the result of your action, multiplying the delay experienced.

27. Devour_Souls

Is it possible that on AK and old EQ in general that the /corpse command forced a position update between client and server? And that is what we are missing?

28. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

I was skeptical of the z-axis change until I dug into old AK forum posts and found one saying that z-axis dragging into Sol Ro's chamber was impossible on AK. I didn't remember that, but I was wrong. As Solar points out, it's been a lot of years, and even inAKurate TAKP mechanics start to feel natural and correct after a while.

So I was predisposed to find that complaints about corpse dragging being broken were also overblown when I logged in to try it today, but ... wow.

Corpse dragging is a mess. Forget Selo's: I can't even reliably drag a corpse around the Freeport newbie yard with SoE.

Devour is right that the server didn't "correct" the /corpse location to a point somewhere behind you on AK. Perhaps, as he suggests, the client overrode the server when it came to character position and /corpse.

Just to verify that I'm not absolutely insane, I looked at some logs. Bards could drag corpses with Selo's on on AK. Yes, it was possible to get lazy with your /corpse commands and lose the corpse and have to backtrack, but it was also possible not to. I feel pretty confident that if corpse dragging necessarily involved an annoying zig-zag start-stop dance, we would remember that.

29. Lavittz01

Lavittz01 Well-Known Member

Corpse dragging takes an eternity now. You can barely do it w/ run3 speed and forget using SOW. depending on your latency it seems, its almost impossible to reliably corpse drag in a straight line.

My question is... Why?
    Why is changing this important? What does it do for players? How does it help? How does it hurt?

For myself and many others i've played with, this has made the server less fun because corpse runs are already not fun. This is a quality of life change that i dont think anyone believes is worth the change in efforts to be "akkurate". Keep the vertical drag limit.

IMO (if its worth anything at all), Remove the change to distance. Let bards and SoW'd players drag...

30. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Found issue I think.

Its moving corpse to last location client sent.

But the /corpse command from client sends OP_GMSummon packet, which includes a location in it.

The location in the packet, should likely be where corpse is moved to. Not the last positoin the client sent.

H

Palarran, Mechaike, Tuluvien and 8 others like this.