Questions about missed notes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pithy, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

So when I read this 1 rank stopped fizzling stuff, I thought that was interesting but hadn't heard of it before. So I went to check my logs and found this:

[Fri Jun 07 20:34:09 2013] Sundriedtomato tells the guild, 'so how does a bard reduce their chance to fizzle songs'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:16 2013] Sundriedtomato tells the guild, 'because im fizzling all the god damned time'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:25 2013] Gannicus tells the guild, 'max inst skills out?'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:33 2013] You say to your guild, 'bards get mastery of the past here?'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:36 2013] Sundriedtomato tells the guild, 'yea all maxed out'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:37 2013] You say to your guild, 'i forget'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:47 2013] Sundriedtomato tells the guild, 'yes up to level 58'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:54 2013] You say to your guild, 'well on PC'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:56 2013] Sundriedtomato tells the guild, 'i fizzle shit all the time when starting up marrs'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:58 2013] You say to your guild, 'that was broken for bards'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:34:59 2013] Sundriedtomato tells the guild, 'or selos'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:35:21 2013] You say to your guild, 'to the point that the first rank stopped all fizzles on all spells, unsure how it works here though'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:40:27 2013] Hemp tells the guild, 'it only stops fizzles on spells under a certain level'
    [Fri Jun 07 20:40:56 2013] Hemp tells the guild, 'so all the spells you would end up fizzling that are important, HoS, LoM - cannot be affected by master of the ages'

I... have no recollection of this conversation at all, or a recollection of this bug at all. But apparently I knew something about it 8 years back!

Also found this:

[Mon Sep 02 10:25:40 2013] Aparecida tells the guild, 'almost certain that Mastery of the Past is broken here'
    [Mon Sep 02 10:25:50 2013] Aparecida tells the guild, 'so might as well go for innate lung capacity first'
    [Mon Sep 02 10:26:11 2013] Landan tells the guild, 'mm i think it works'
    [Mon Sep 02 10:26:18 2013] Landan tells the guild, 'never fizzled forlorn deeds since i got it'
    [Mon Sep 02 10:27:57 2013] Aparecida tells the guild, 'it's listed as a broken AA in Delorne's thread on EQMac.com (dated Dec. 23, 2011)'

So one of the most knowledgable bards on the server flagged the AA as broken, but I noted I stopped fizzling slows on my enchanter after buying the AA. Likely he found it was broken for Bards. Whether it was broken in the "1-rank stops all fizzles" way or it simply didn't work at all, who knows! I did find:

[Thu Jul 26 20:55:26 2012] A missed note brings Delorne's song to a close!
    [Thu Jul 26 20:55:37 2012] A missed note brings Delorne's song to a close!
    [Thu Jul 26 20:55:42 2012] A missed note brings Delorne's song to a close!

So it seems like either Delorne purchased too many ranks of it to prevent all fizzles, he didn't buy enough/any ranks or it was simply broken completely and it did nothing.

Pithy, solar, Ripwind and 1 other person like this.
  2. Break

Break People Like Me

Thanks for checking. Convos like this make me really upset that I rarely bothered to turn on logging. There are so many old bits of information that are lost to the ether.

3. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I had a bard on live, I think it was TSS or later, but at some point they did a tradeskill revamp that added this 'water of the skeptic' item. https://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=81837 It was summoned by bards like how emeralds are summoned by clerics/druids, except it took no reagent because bard. I don't think this spell was meant to be usable and the item turned into a vendor bought material. The spell had some nonsense skill flagged in it so it fizzled every time you tried to sing it, but with the broken AA it worked. That summoned item vendored for something like 10pp and stacked. Then I realized there's nothing worth spending millions of plat on. This was long ago, there are more money sinks in live EQ now. The summoning spell was eventually made unusable. https://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=6530&source=Live

Break likes this.
  4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Heh, or a VT crown for an effective 200 DEX and 200 CHA.

5. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

These tests take a while since I'm lazy and don't want to create a second bard. I had to take off all my gear except for like 4 slots to emulate Performer's stats and then the first time I ran the test I did it on a low-level psalm that was affected by my spell casting expertise. Oops.

Anyway:
    L. 65 with Darchon's bard CHA/DEX VS Psalm of Veeshan
    Total casts: 25,434
    Fizzles: 3,352
    Fizzle %: 13.2
    Double fizzles: 346
    3x fizzles: 55
    4x fizzles: 12
    5x fizzles: 1

L.65 With Max Stats VS Psalm of Veeshan
    Total casts: 25,761
    Fizzles: 1,296
    Fizzle %: 5
    Double fizzles: 51
    3x fizzles: 3

Looks like a pretty good match to Solar's pseudocode

Pithy likes this.
  6. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

lololol

looks like Darch needs to spend some DKP!

solar likes this.
  7. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Who gears for dex/cha tho?
    You gear for hp/ac/resists

Guess you better spend those AAs on innate cha/dex and get a cha buff or something. In grouping or kiting situations need to get a crown of energy to equip.

Or just continue to whine on forums about fizzles ruining your immersion. I know which option I'm going for

8. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

My bard is geared for hp/ac/resists/cha.

9. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Story checks out

giphy (1).gif

Phaeton likes this.
  10. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

John Stark likes this.
  11. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

Wow. I had no idea DEX/CHA would have such an effect on bard missed notes. I usually CHA buff my bard along with the enchanter, as I charm with the bard if I get a 2-pull. Now I'll definitely be seeking out Focus more often!

12. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

In my opinion bard fizzles are so low stakes (ie you don't lose mana) that it's not worth gearing for. I'm too lazy to even buff for it.

protip for the bards: you can't miss a note if you're just rolling one song. Stop slinging mashups like some 21st century earthen DJ and embrace the beauty of a single uninterrupted piece of art.

Mukk, Smudge, Sketchy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

This will be on your tombstone.

Mukk, Sketchy and showstring like this.
  14. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

15. Yinikren

Yinikren Well-Known Member

MC bug please, I'm definitely interested in doing limitless 300dps in time gear as an SK

John Stark likes this.
  16. Delorne

Delorne People Like Me

Someone PMed me about this asking whether I had Mastery of the Past. I don't think I bought them and I'm positive my AAs on http://www.allakabor.com/profile/index.php?id=520 are accurate to what I had on AK.

As for why I said it was broken, it was from speaking with Karry/Wookie, Asher, and Avocado on the subject. Karry/Wookie was also a very prolific bard and probably one of the few on the server that had close to or completely max AA. He was aware of the fact the first rank provided no fizzles for other casting classes and tried it out for himself, only to find that fizzles =/= missed notes.

I will say, I wasn't really concerned about fizzles anyway. At capped instrument skill, they still happened but it's all good. Your twist will still work unless you're being a dangerbard pushing a 4 song twist.

Pithy likes this.