Make best and second best trio out of these 9 classes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pivoo, Jun 21, 2021.

1. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Short version:
    Make best and second best trio out of these 9 classes:

Beastlord
    Enchanter
    Magician
    Necromancer
    Paladin
    Cleric
    Druid
    Wizard
    (Ranger)

Longer explanation, I started with DRU/BST/NEC with the plan to use BST (and two pets) as tanks. So far BST doesn't feel that tanky to me. (and with this group i can't handle Peluvian Caverns - 5 badits attack at the same time (camp #1 and I'm cooked)

Then I tried Paladin and some good soul gave me several pieces of gear and boy I like to use him as tank. Because of this I decided I will bring PAL/CLR/ENC to same level as first group - lvl 23)

Then I tried Magician and Wizard and boy how fast they can nuke down something when they are both nuking! (KEI of course is mandatory lol) while pet is taking.

So now I decided I will bring all my characters to the same level where I already have some (23) then I will regroup them. I also have Ranger but this one is primarily for now delivery boy, running though library and searching for spells, so I don't waste buffs on my other characters.

Oh, when considering top trio and second top trio, just a note, Enchanter is in the group just for buffs, will probably never be doing any charming.

If you could only pick from upper list, what would be your top1 trio and which would be your top2 trio? I plan to eventually level them all up to at least 50's

2. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

#1 Pal/dru/enc
    #2 Bst/dru/enc

3. Baler

Baler Well-Known Member

Slow is an important aspect to consider if your goal is soloing. If you're not interested in shaman, enchanter is your next best bet.
    Beastlord does get slows but only two I believe. (L22)Drowsy 22%? slow at lower level and (L65)Sha`s Revenge 65% slow at end game.
    It's easy to see how the bst would not feel tanky without the high end slow.

With only those classes and purposely being bias towards the takp meta trio...
    Pal/Dru/Enc or Pal/Clr/Enc

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    pivoo and Phaeton like this.
  4. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

#1 - Pal/Cler/Ench
    #2 - Dru/Pal/Ench

These rankings are from a level 60-65 raid geared perspective.

If this is more of a casually leveling trio it may shift up a bit. Plate tanks really grow with raid gear, quite a bit more than any other class/archetype. So if you’re not going to be getting raid gear the power of that class drops off quite a bit compared to another class with vs without raid gear.

If you’re not willing to charm it will change even more. Enchanter is probably the single strongest class in a group setting because it has the potential to bring the single biggest DPS and largest HP pool tank (charmed pet), brings best haste/mind buffs, best CC with Mez and pacify, 2nd best slow which is basically identical to best slow minus the duration which isn’t really relevant in group content since not much outlives it’s duration. Losing the charmed pet still leaves them extremely strong but not as great since that slot is basically 0 DPS without it and in a trio that generally has 1 tank and 1 healer, you end up with a very low DPS trio when making a non charming enchanter the third.

pivoo and Phaeton like this.
  5. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

Enc/Enc/Enc if you are insane and you will have to remake macros for targeting the charmed pets. Use trade window to get number of the npc. The charm on All 3 use Gina heal pets with rune spam

pivoo likes this.
  6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Why would anybody torture themselves like that

pivoo likes this.
  7. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Ahh slow, I forgot, I never played class with it.
    This helps, and explanation why, thanks a bunch!

8. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you, now I understand better their (especially Enchanters) role.
    No raiding for me, but I'm changing planes and will try to learn how to charm. P99 has some good Enchanter guides.
    Thank you, especially for the 'why' part, that really opened my eyes!

9. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

LOL! One will be plenty for me ;)

10. Break

Break People Like Me

A note on the P99 guides. Charisma has minimal affect on charms here. You are much better off lowering the mobs MR.

Phaeton, Tuluvien and pivoo like this.
  11. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

At L60 they get their 50% slow (Sha's Advantage) but yeah... That's a long wait!

BL can be quite tanky, but like any class, it can really depend on gear. At your level I'd just stack as many HP-related armors and jewelry you can get your hands on. Regardless of class really.

pivoo and Baler like this.
  12. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

I'm glad you told me this. I already messed up at character creation, oh well :)

So what stats should I be focusing for Enchanter? INT and anything else?

Is there any TAKP Enchanter guide?

13. Cillipis

Cillipis Well-Known Member

You can’t screw up the character creation. Whatever you chose was fine.

PAL/DRU/BST is a full, complete group with BST melee probably extra. If you don’t charm that’s probably your top trio.

Oh and second you could have some good fun with PAL/CLR/NEC if you stick mostly to undead. I had that trio on AK and it pretty great.

pivoo and John Stark like this.
  14. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

It’s a long wait, but BST/DRU/(MAG|NEC) are some of the fastest killing trios at 60 that don’t rely on charm, however the best spells are 58/59/60 and that’s a long grind.

pivoo likes this.
  15. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Just go triple wizard and quad kite for the rest of your life.

pivoo likes this.
  16. Silvermink

Silvermink Member

Paladin and sk pepople think nothing of equipping a shield when tanking. When beast or ranger tank, a shield shouldn’t be ignored. Paladin and cleric share many spell lines, a pal/dru/enc or pal/shm/FPS would have more diversity.

pivoo likes this.
  17. Palarran

Palarran Well-Known Member

Enchanter charm may be a bit weak at low/mid levels. Because of this, for my main trio (CLR/DRU/ENC) I rotated in my beastlord to carry them into the 40's, at which point charm started to dominate my solo play.

A high level druid makes it much easier to get secondary characters caught up.

pivoo and Pithy like this.
  18. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Since you don't plan to charm I think Bst/Dru/Clr is a fantastic combo.

Bst has good DPS with pet, and decent mitigation. Also slow and SP

Dru has ports, DPS, and glades.

Clr has heals/pac/rez.

With this trio you can crawl any dungeon, and two healers will more than make up for any tanking issues your bst might have.

pivoo likes this.
  19. Tecmos.Deception

Tecmos.Deception Active Member

I'm probably just biased, but even if you don't plan to charm, I think enchanter+cleric+mage is by far the strongest of those combos 1-65 for a casual player.

Clerics have a lot going on for them besides just heals and hp/ac buffs, and a lot of people undervalue their other spells imo. Enchanters are powerhouses even when they don't charm since their pet dps isn't awful for the levels where you're comfortable getting smacked once a fight to aggro the pet, and eventually you can get dire charm or animation empathy, or you could just charm a lower-level mob and/or not give it weapons and haste. The mage is a ton of damage while requiring almost no input plus can summon all kinds of great stuff for your characters (free focus items when you're a poor casual are great) and pets to use while also bringing malo for tough monsters or charms if you're doing them.

You miss out on ports and sow, but all of your characters can bind and gate, which is even better imo. You're like 80% as strong naked as you are raid geared; have fun on a CR with a naked paladin, a naked beastlord, and a naked druid trying to clear their way through a dungeon that was tough enough it got you killed when you WERE wearing gear! Etc etc.

That trio is basically the best overall group character, the best group support character, and the best non-charm DPS character... and they also happen to complement each other really well besides.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    pivoo and Break like this.
  20. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

IMO, the strongest self-contained PoP trio is ENC/ENC/CLR. I think that's true whether or not you have access to raid gear.

pivoo likes this.
  21. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Speaking of charm the discussion came up the other day, the MR floor for charming NPCs is 0 right? The charm break calculation doesn't care whether the mob is at -50MR or 0MR, it calculates out the same for break chance each tick?

pivoo, showstring and Break like this.
  22. Tecmos.Deception

Tecmos.Deception Active Member

I could see that. I toyed with the idea of doing this. When lazy you could just use the 2nd enchanter to more easily control one pet while also spreading aggro and/or mana use from pacify, mezzes, tash, slow, etc across multiple characters, and when motivated you could use 2 charm pets. The thought of figuring out targetting macros and setting up a log reader and stuff to really get the most out of two charms at once scared me off as a first-time takp player though, so I ended up with ench+cle+brd instead.

I worried it wouldn't be the most consistent trio though, even if it could be the most powerful. Two charm breaks at once or any mistakes with targetting/timing or any desire to step afk for more than 90 seconds or the enchanters getting summoned different directions at the same time all seemed like they'd be real problems, even if you COULD slaughter stuff with two charmed pets the majority of the time.

I don't think it's too relevant here though since OP was hesitant to charm with just 1 enchanter, let alone two :)

pivoo and Pithy like this.
  23. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Yeah, the rare double charm break would be tough, but I think there are ways to handle it. The CLR could toss a couple of stuns on each mob to be sure they get aggro on a double break. The two ENC could stand next to each other so whoever channels a WoM hits both pets. At that point you just alternate WoMs every 6 seconds to keep both pets chain mezzed while you tash, recharm, etc.

Other trios are definitely easier, more versatile, or more fun. I just think ENC/ENC/CLR has the highest ceiling. It could max AAs quickly and kill almost anything in PoP up to small-raid content. Camps without nearby charmpets would suck, though!

pivoo and John Stark like this.
  24. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

I'm glad to see someone validating my suspicion. I recently made a second enchanter for this exact purpose. I've boxed other people's enchanters on other encounters before, like the early days of AoW when we relied heavily on charmed wolf DPS. The secret to dealing with charm breaks is definitely to stand the enchanters next to each other.

pivoo likes this.
  25. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Ah early Velious AoW kills. 3-charmed wolf wrangling was the best.

pivoo likes this.
  26. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Word of Morell looks sketchy but since its only 6s duration, it means that the charm gets back into action quite fast.

I miss when duels didn't lock two people together, would go ench/druid and have them duel eachother so the druid can snare the charm, while charmed, and break the mezzes when required.

pivoo and showstring like this.
  27. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

RNG/RNG/RNG of course.

pivoo, John Stark and showstring like this.
  28. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Curious on this also. I'd assume negative resists are better, but who knows with EQ

pivoo likes this.
  29. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

I think Torven told me - years ago, so I could be misremembering or it could have changed - that charm has an effective floor of some small positive MR value. 12, maybe?

pivoo likes this.
  30. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Yes, the way the logic works here is with a MR resist floor which is above zero. I wrote a script to simulate charm breaks and examined logs to simulate an MR value that would match the log data.

Later on I found a Daybreak post that said that charm ticks had a '5% chance to break' so they might have implemented it differently. Actually that would make more sense than an MR floor I suppose and would slightly increase the break rate if the MR were under the floor value and above zero. I may change this later but I have far better things to do for now.

pivoo, Break and Pithy like this.