Trio noob question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pivoo, May 9, 2021.

1. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

First, hi everyone, I'm relatively new to Everquest, I currently play on P99 and I have few mid level toons.

Second, this is not PvP, right? :) (I have enough probmels with monsters, don't need more troubles lol )
    Third, just for info, I guarantee I will make a record number of deaths. I'm clumsy, I'm bad, I'm slow, I have two left hands and fingers don't listen... and NPC hates me, although I can kill myself just as well lol

That being said, I'm looking for easy, simple trio, where I will mostly solo, the other two toons will tag along for occasional buffs and goodies via alt+tab.

I was thinking:
    Beastmaster for pet and somewhat tanking
    Druid for porting
    Cleric for constant rezzing ;) and maybe healing if I will have enough time for "alt-tab" in critical situation. Knowing myself, most likely not lol

Would this combo work OK for very bad and clumsy player? If I start Wood Elf Druid in Keleth and Cleric in Kaladim, I can start playing these two together right away. Yay!

Which Beastmaster race would be best fit for this group? Ogre for frontal stun and best tanking pet? Would it be hard, to get a port for level one to move from Oggok to Kaladim? (So I can start all three together?)

I could start Wood Efl Beastmaster and that way I would have all three toons already on the same continent. But I have 0 knowledge about Beastmaster. How good/bad is Elf Wood pet? (Treant, right?)

Anyway, based on how clumsy and bad player I am, any suggestions? I know Enchnaters Clarity would go a long way, but Enchanters have waaaaay too many spells for this 'simple' player to put it mildly :)

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Baler likes this.
  2. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Bl/dru/clr would do well. Great utility spectrum, ok agro and tanking and dps. Excellent healing.

As you mentioned, ogre are best if you really care about that. Iksar are good to -- the tail, you know.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    pivoo likes this.
  3. Inacht

Inacht People Like Me

Your combo would work well though you would have excessive healing. You could opt to switch the druid or cleric out for a mage, necro or wizard to provide greater dps and/or another strong pet.

Regarding race choice, wood elf is not an option for beastlords. You can choose between Ogre, Troll, Iksar, Vah Shir and Barbarian. Regardless of race choice, your pet will have identical stats with the only difference being size, profile and appearance. Ogre would be a good choice for a tanking beastlord, Iksar is the other popular Minmax choice. All the races are fine choices IMO. If you have below 75 agility, bump it up to 75 with your extra points when creating the char.

POK is available so gathering your trio starting in different continents is not a problem. You can use eqatlas to help find the POK books. MGB's are done periodically in POK and I would recommend taking advantage of them.

Regarding boxing, HotKeyNet is included in the client download, I would encourage you to set it up as it will help you hugely when boxing. Spend a little time in POK getting used to using it to switch between windows. Good luck!

pivoo likes this.
  4. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

The server is not PvP.

Bst/Dru/Cler is a fine combo. It has beastlord/pet for tanking, beastlord for slow, druid/cleric for healing and druid harmony/cleric pacify for pulling.

Starting locations don't matter much since PoKnowledge is open. From whatever zone you start your characters in you can take the PoK book and they're all in PoK ready to adventure together within the first 5 minutes of being online.

Wood Elf Beastlords weren't added until late 2010s on live. They are not available on TAKP. Only large races. Troll/Ogre/Barbarian/Iksar/Vah Shir.

Ogre frontal stun is useful but not extremely problematic to go with any other class. Most of your pulls will start off with a slowed mob, so I wouldn't worry a huge amount about interrupts.

pivoo likes this.
  5. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you all! POK is new to me, only have experience in P99. OK getting group together is solved then, great. Will look into POK books.

Pets have same stats. Cool, one less thing to worry about. Will try out Mage for double pet, I'm hearing mage pets are strong here.

> "MGB's are done periodically in POK and I would recommend taking advantage of them."

Probably silly question, but what are MGB's?

6. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thanks, I was reading stuff on internet about Beastlords, so guide was from different time line :)

ok so my combo is good then, great, thanks again

7. Inacht

Inacht People Like Me

MGB stands for Mass Group Buff - an AA that changes a group buffing spell into one that hits all nearby players. High level chars will announce and provide them on occasion in POK. They can last several hours and provide powerful effects like HP/AC or Mana regen. They're a huge leg up for leveling chars.

pivoo likes this.
  8. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Ahh, nice, will be on look up for these :) Thanks!

9. Cillipis

Cillipis Well-Known Member

You may not have used chat channels before as they aren’t in P99 timeline, but those buffs as well as gear give away messages and low level LFG announcements are made server wide in a chat channel called “alliance”

Im not sure it it’s built into the client at the start or not but when you log in type in /autojoin alliance

after that you should be good to go.

pivoo likes this.
  10. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

FWIW, I think BL/druid/mage might be the best starter trio for someone who's new to the server and to boxing. It gives you a lot of power -- tanking, heals, slows, DPS, mobility -- while requiring very little gear and very few actions per minute. Having a druid in your starter trio also lets you power-level future toons if you decide you'd like to try something different.

pivoo and Sketchy like this.
  11. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Will do, thanks!!!

I've read about this two days ago, but didn't write down and wasn't sure about exact command. Was going too look for this, but you somehow managed to read mine mind lol

12. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Yes, I've done lots of reading past several few hours and I already started leaning this way. You just reinforced and cemented my decision! :)

My reason for Cleric was, to be able to Rezz. But I will not be able to rezz first (IDK) 30 or so levels anyway. In that case I may as well have better leveling trio. Two pets should make leveling that much easier!

I can later, as you said, power level CLR or just start another trio: SK / CLR / Necro - sounds like fun combo for going after undead stuff :)

And THANK YOU for "actions per minute" phrase. I'm keep seeing posts about "low APM" combos and I had no clue what it meant, until you spelled it out :)

P.s.
    More I'm reading past posts, more eager I'm to start. If I can just figure out, how to get it to work on my Linux machine. Looking at both Linux guides, but not being technical is not helping so far... :oops:

13. Wellmine

Wellmine Active Member

BST mage cleric was my trio leveling up for pop I would switch mage with wizard or necro personally I main BST for what it’s worth.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    pivoo likes this.
  14. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

In Luclin they backfilled several levels of rez spells. Clerics get their first at level 14 (0% exp return).

15. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Why switch out the mage? For snare from either necro or wiz?

16. Wellmine

Wellmine Active Member

Mage dosnt scale as well into PoP, necro has FD for res if your group dies lets say in PoWater or somewhere deep and hard to recover. Wizard is much better dps and less effort and more burn. I personally have a 2nd box and plan to do Beast Ranger and Cleric with ranger using bow dmg, but this takes several aa's to get to that point.

Ransom likes this.
  17. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

You are making good point with Necro instead of Mage. Although I have a feeling I will be leveling at least another trio, to later have more options, how to put group together.

Question, not trio related: I see (if I understand correctly) all kind of ports in PoK. There was someone in PoK asking to buy a port. Why didn't that player just use PoK portal? Is Druid still useful for porting? Or Druid/Wizard have more portals than there are in PoK?

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  18. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

It depends on where they are porting to. PoK books to the starting cities exist, but if the person was asking for a port to cobalt scar or twilight sea then that would be much faster than running

19. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

PoK can take you to all home cities (Rivervale, Kelethin, Kaladim, Felwithe, Halas, Erudin, Shar Vahl, Qeynos, Freeport, Ak'anon, Cabilis, Grobb, Neriak, Oggok, Paineel) as well as some other destinations (Nexus, Great Divide, Plane of Tranquility, Firiona Vie, Overthere).

This means some locations are still much easier accessed through teleports.

North Karana is 2 very long zones (WKarana) from Qeynos book for example.

The Kunark/Velious/Luclin teleports are also not generally conveniently near a PoK book. Zones like Iceclad, Wakening Lands, Cobalt Scar, Grimling Forest, Twilight Sea, Dawnshroud are several zones away from the Great Divide or Shar Vahl/Nexus PoK books. The kunark ports are all 1 zone away from PoK book but still can be quite a run Overthere -> Skyfire is dangerous for KoS, Cabilis -> EJ isn't bad. FV -> Dreadlands can be annoying.

20. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Ah yes, makes sense. Thanks both of you!
    Got my first mass buff today yay!!! :)