New to TAKP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spyder73, May 8, 2021.

1. Spyder73

Spyder73 New Member

Hey guys,

Long time P99er, new to TAKP. I think want to play either Monk/Necro/Shaman or Beastlord/Druid/Enchanter.

I have no idea how to Box and I expect a pretty large learning curve, are either of these trios "friendly" to a new TAKP player? Would I be better off learning with something 'simple' like Warrior/Cleric/Mage?

My EQ knowledge ends at Velious, I have no idea what these classes can do in Luclin and beyond

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  2. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

You’ll find your sea legs as you level the characters. all classes are basically warrior/cleric at level one and you’ll add complexity gradually as you go and figure out how to make it work for you.
    Necro and shaman both have high action per minute ceilings, and it could leave you feeling like you either have to be super busy or you’re not getting enough out of your characters. Does have some nice triple iksar potential. Both setups sound fun.

3. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

B/D/E will likely carry you through more content than m/n/s. B/d/e is probably friendlier to an ew player if you dont bother to charm.

4. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

Both those trios work, Bst/Dru/Enc is kind of unorthodox, both sound fun.

When you box, try to have a pilot toon (usually the tank) that your other 2 follow and assist. Will help with your orientation. Use /stand on the first line of your follow, assist, and cast macros. Once in camp use casting macros that end in /sit. A second cast line will account for fizzles, ie
    /cast 1
    /pause xx, /cast 1
    /sit

Kithani likes this.
  5. Kithani

Kithani Well-Known Member

Take the time to figure out the boxing software that comes with TAKP (I rebound my boxes to Alt+A/S/D for example) and make a few basic hotkeys.

I put this off for a while when I first started because I was lazy but it really was night and day. If you really struggle and haven’t boxed much you could start as a two box and just alt tab though.

Edit: after reading your post I might suggest Bst/Druid to start or Bst/Druid/Mag instead of Ench, you can always PL and Ench up later and the mage summoned focus gear will always be useful until you are max level and have lots of plat/gear

DubRemix88 likes this.